Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > An old fashioned space battle thread

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

OK simple rules.

Mostly a battle thread. Any two fictional characters / teams, other against another from any universe, book or movie including comic books.

If you wish you can explain your choice and battle.......

No rules here except everyone respect others choices and let's not fight and get mad if people pick your favourite character or team to die. This is supposed to be fun. You can have fun if you like and nitpick other people's choices but the same be respectful and let's not get too heated or hostile.

THIS IS MEANT TO BE A FUN THREAD

I'll start.

Captain Kirk pre reboot vs Skynet - I'm giving this to Kirk because of poor Landru and what happened.
The Culture mind vs Skynet - No contest and it would be over in 2 seconds
Darth Vader vs Scanners from the movie Scanners - Could go either way
Darth Vader vs Lucy - I gave this one to Lucy as by the end of the movie she's almost God

Feb 15 15 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Kosh Naranek (Vorlon ambassador to Babylon 5)

https://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10900000/Kosh-Naranek-babylon-5-10955700-438-648.jpg

VS

Darth Vader (Cyborg right-hand man to Emperor Palpatine)

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/star-wars-darth-vader.jpeg

My take on this.  Don't ever underestimate a Vorlon.

The setting and location for this duel wouldn't matter.  Vorlons are non-corporeal beings, extremely powerful telepaths, and essentially immortal.  Kosh may be millions of years old.  Indeed, in the series, the First One himself, the several-billion year old Lorien, spoke of knowing him.

Regardless, I don't know how Vader could harm Kosh.  Yes, he could destroy the encounter suit quite easily, but that isn't the Vorlon himself.  It's just a shell to keep younger races from recognizing him.  In one episode in particular, PPG (plasma) shots were fired at the angry Vorlon, Ulkesh, who had left his encounter suit.  They passed through his "body" without any effect.

As for a Vorlon, they might not need to even make physical contact to kill someone like Vader.  I would expect Kosh to make powerful telepathic (psychic) attacks on Vader's mind, instead of simply assaulting him physically.

edit: The Vorlon Empire  (or other First Ones) of Babylon 5 vs The Galactic Empire of Star Wars has been discussed before in various forums.  I'm of the opinion that the Vorlons could deal with the Empire without too much difficulty, although their technology is different and has different strengths and weaknesses.  Whatever the case, the opinions were split between Fivers (B5 fans) and Warsies (Star Wars fans)...

Feb 15 15 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

aspergianLens wrote:
Kosh Naranek (Vorlon ambassador to Babylon 5)

https://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10900000/Kosh-Naranek-babylon-5-10955700-438-648.jpg

VS

Darth Vader (Cyborg right-hand man to Emperor Palpatine)

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/star-wars-darth-vader.jpeg

My take on this.  Don't ever underestimate a Vorlon.

The setting and location for this duel wouldn't matter.  Vorlons are non-corporeal beings, extremely powerful telepaths, and essentially immortal.  Kosh may be millions of years old.  Indeed, in the series, the First One himself, the several-billion year old Lorien, spoke of knowing him.

Regardless, I don't know how Vader could harm Kosh.  Yes, he could destroy the encounter suit quite easily, but that isn't the Vorlon himself.  It's just a shell to keep younger races from recognizing him.  In one episode in particular, PPG (plasma) shots were fired at the angry Vorlon, Ulkesh, who had left his encounter suit.  They passed through his "body" without any effect.

As for a Vorlon, they might not need to even make physical contact to kill someone like Vader.  I would expect Kosh to make powerful telepathic (psychic) attacks on Vader's mind, instead of simply assaulting him physically.

edit: The Vorlon Empire  (or other First Ones) of Babylon 5 vs The Galactic Empire of Star Wars has been discussed before in various forums.  I'm of the opinion that the Vorlons could deal with the Empire without too much difficulty, although their technology is different and has different strengths and weaknesses.  Whatever the case, the opinions were split between Fivers (B5 fans) and Warsies (Star Wars fans)...

Oooh I like........ I didn't think of the Vorlons but yeah I can picture this ....... It would be awesome.

Feb 15 15 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

John Photography wrote:
Oooh I like........ I didn't think of the Vorlons but yeah I can picture this ....... It would be awesome.

There is also one overlooked aspect, that I didn't mention.  There is some speculation that the Vorlons possess some kind of hive mind, or group consciousness.  They are still individuals, but apparently may be aware of what other Vorlons are doing -- they may be able to telepathically connect with any other Vorlon at any time, at any distance.

This quote, from Ulkesh, makes me wonder : "We are all Kosh."

I wonder what that means, exactly?

So, the point of this is -- were Vader to actually to defeat Kosh, he would also offend the entire Vorlon race.  To fight one is to fight them all, apparently?

Feb 15 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

aspergianLens wrote:

There is also one overlooked aspect, that I didn't mention.  There is some speculation that the Vorlons possess some kind of hive mind, or group consciousness.  They are still individuals, but apparently may be aware of what other Vorlons are doing -- they may be able to telepathically connect with any other Vorlon at any time, at any distance.

This quote, from Ulkesh, makes me wonder : "We are all Kosh."

I wonder what that means, exactly?

So, the point of this is -- were Vader to actually to defeat Kosh, he would also offend the entire Vorlon race.  To fight one is to fight them all, apparently?

Or they can all draw power from the other "minds" ........ So yeah pretty much Vader is toast

Feb 16 15 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

aspergianLens wrote:
Vorlons are non-corporeal beings, extremely powerful telepaths, and essentially immortal.  Kosh may be millions of years old.  Indeed, in the series, the First One himself, the several-billion year old Lorien, spoke of knowing him.

That never made any sense to me. How does one poison a non-corporeal being, or tear one to pieces (as the Shadows did to Kosh?)

Feb 16 15 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Since anyone can do special effects now ---

Modern Lightsaber Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSylgBFi-I

Feb 16 15 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Ok, I'll play.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/16364763218_f6343d4914_o.jpg

Farscape team by W L Photo,

Feb 16 15 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Caradoc wrote:

That never made any sense to me. How does one poison a non-corporeal being, or tear one to pieces (as the Shadows did to Kosh?)

Those are good questions, and I'm not real sure what the answer is.  Perhaps Vorlons are semi-corporeal in some sense, then.  I'm not sure how the rogue Minbari assassin managed to poison Kosh.  As for the Shadows, perhaps only other First Ones can really pose a serious threat to another First One?

It still leaves a question of how/why the PPC blasts from the security detail passed right through Ulkesh's true form, without harming him.  I suppose the series is kind of contradictory here.

Feb 16 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Caradoc wrote:

It's a plot hole......

Feb 16 15 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Warren Leimbach wrote:
Ok, I'll play.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/16364763218_f6343d4914_o.jpg

Farscape team by W L Photo,

1) Aeryn wins by just being Aeryn ...... Lara is toast
2. Pris could have a slight edge in being a bit more psychotic then Chiana
3. Jool..... Her screens would even kill tribbles

Feb 16 15 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

John Photography wrote:

1) Aeryn wins by just being Aeryn ...... Lara is toast
2. Pris could have a slight edge in being a bit more psychotic then Chiana
3. Jool..... Her screens would even kill tribbles

Got to agree here; Aeryn is pretty much a badass.

Feb 16 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Here's another Babylon 5 match up...

Neroon -- Minbari Warrior Caste, Star Riders Clan
Weapon of Choice: Minbari Fighting Pike (similar to a quarterstaff)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/B5_neroon.jpg

VS.

Worf, Son of Mogh -- Klingon Warrior
Weapon of Choice: Bat'leth or Mek'leth

https://comediva.com/images/stories/movie-accessories_worfs-sash.jpg

My thoughts: Assuming this is a hand-to-hand duel, with weapons, Worf would have a serious challenge on his hands, but ultimately would come to greatly respect the Minbari Warrior Caste.

Feb 16 15 06:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

The entire Borg collective VS everybody else

Feb 17 15 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

ernst tischler wrote:

Everybody else, in all universes? There are several fictional powers that could deal with the Borg effectively.  Such as the Vorlons, or Shadows.

And if they can't, the Walkers of Sigma-957 might get involved...

Feb 17 15 12:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:

aspergianLens wrote:
Everybody else, in all universes? There are several fictional powers that could deal with the Borg effectively.  Such as the Vorlons, or Shadows.

And if they can't, the Walkers of Sigma-957 might get involved...

It could prove interesting as the Borg assimilate some of each and adapt using the new knowledge obtained.

Feb 17 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

ernst tischler wrote:

They were pretty defenceless against Species 8472 ?

Feb 17 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

ernst tischler wrote:
It could prove interesting as the Borg assimilate some of each and adapt using the new knowledge obtained.

Both the Shadows and Vorlons are masters of biotechnology.  Both races are over 1 billion years old.  Are you sure that the Borg can even assimilate their technology?

Incidentally, the Walkers have no purpose-built weapons.  Instead, they have scanners so strong that can disable any known ship, or ship systems, at least.

Feb 17 15 01:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
They were pretty defenceless against Species 8472 ?

...but with a little help of the Federation, they survived that war.

Feb 17 15 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

A single Culture mind would make the Borg null and void....

Or the Gravemind from Halo

Feb 18 15 01:44 am Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Andromeda Ascendant vs Picard's Enterprise. Just because it would be fun to see two Roddenberry creations going head to head.

I'd give the nod to the Enterprise because of superior defense capabilities. I should think that shields would be more effective against missiles and bullets than point defense lasers would be against phasers. Might be fun to muse on how shields react to Nova bombs, tho.

Interesting side battle: android Rommie vs Data. Rommie get's the nod due to superior speed and agility and the fact that Data has an on-odd switch. Plus, well, she is waaaaay hotter. tongue

Feb 18 15 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

you guys are dorks.
i will show you a real space battle....

ok how about that space pegasus from the cover of a 1980's trapper keeper:

https://cdn9.staztic.com/app/a/393/393215/space-pegasus-live-wallpaper-474336-1-s-307x512.jpg

VS.

The little prince from outer space:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9b/5a/8c/9b5a8c37c9541e044d53e174e95edd82.jpg

Feb 18 15 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

One from the groove yard of forgotten oldies"

Space Angel
https://cdn.coollinesartwork.com/Images/Category_2/subcat_28875/TothSpaceAngel.jpg

vs

Space Ghost
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/229/222010-19464-116485-1-space-ghost.jpg

Space Ghost is from further into the future, so he has more advanced technology to draw from.  Space Angel is backed up by two adults, not two kids and a monkey.

Feb 19 15 12:06 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Captain Kirk vs Darth Vader
Since the Captain Kirk has no mental powers maybe could think of a medicine, active for some time (hours), and/or injury himself during the battle to contrast with the pain the mental power of the opponent, for a direct battle against Darth Vader.
Since him is used to fighting against the odds and turn out winning all the time.

Feb 19 15 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Dr Who (Matt Smith version)
Vs
Captain Kirk (60's version)

Matt can have the Tardis, Kirk can have the Enterprise.

I can see both of them loosing by being too distracted trying to impress everyone around them to actually do anything.

Feb 19 15 02:05 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

CNP Photography wrote:
Andromeda Ascendant vs Picard's Enterprise. Just because it would be fun to see two Roddenberry creations going head to head.

I'd give the nod to the Enterprise because of superior defense capabilities. I should think that shields would be more effective against missiles and bullets than point defense lasers would be against phasers. Might be fun to muse on how shields react to Nova bombs, tho.

Interesting side battle: android Rommie vs Data. Rommie get's the nod due to superior speed and agility and the fact that Data has an on-odd switch. Plus, well, she is waaaaay hotter. tongue

Only the Andromeda Ascendant has nova bombs which can level a whole solar system

Feb 19 15 05:36 am Link