Forums > Photography Talk > 35mm film scanners recommend?

Photographer

Luc_Smith

Los Angeles, California, US

Would love anyone's recommendation on a good 35mm film scanner (yes, I'd prefer to scan myself). Doesn't need to be state-of-the-art or 'the absolute best', but I'd like a solid, reliable, and somewhat fast/speedy scanner who's software is compatible with the latest Mac OS.

Feb 27 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The  most important thing is to get a scanner with an IR channel in addition to the three colour channels.  This will allow the scanner to remove dust spots and scratches.  The dedicated 35mm Nikon Coolscan and Canon scanners both have IR channels. (Do not believe the disclaimers about IR not working with Kodachrome - it does just fine, at least with Canon.)

You may need to buy a SCSI or firewire card to get the best out of them.

You should also buy a copy of VueScan to control them.  Buy the professional version, not only because it has more output options, but also because it will run any scanner in existence and has perpetual free upgrades.

Feb 27 15 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

I've got a Plustek scanner that does a pretty good job.

And also over in the DPreview forums a bunch of people ran a thead on add-on devices to stick on your DSLRs to shoot slides: if it works, you sure couldn's beat it for speed.  Unless the results require a lot of post.

Feb 27 15 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I have a canon 9000. It has trays for varying sized films except unfortunately 4X5 and up. It will recognize the tray and scan accordingly. It does I think a great simple job and couldn't be easier. That said it is already a few years old and I thing others on the market right now are cheaper and possibly better.

Feb 27 15 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I can second the Nikon Coolscan
Does the best quality of any desktop unit I ever tried
No Flatbed unit comes close in my experience that includes the much Vaunted Epson V750

Feb 27 15 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I can second the Nikon Coolscan
Does the best quality of any desktop unit I ever tried
No Flatbed unit comes close in my experience that includes the much Vaunted Epson V750

Agreed. The 750 is 'the standard' because it's the best affordable scanner for 4x5 and batches. I love mine, but it's still a flatbed.

Nikon is right out. I'm 90% certain none of those will work on a modern os, since they're all older. VueScan or whoever might make a driver that lets it work, but that does mean you'll have to add $100 to your budget, even if that is an option.

Personally I'd get a flatbed that takes at least 8 frames at a time, and then send out anything you want printed bigger than 8x10. Otherwise you're going to be spending a ton of time at your computer, and statistically most of that time will be wasted on bad images. Not because of your photography - just because nobody prints every frame.

Feb 28 15 06:16 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

You probably won't find any scanners other than discontinued ones. nikon discontinued theirs a few years ago. A few entrepreneurs bought out all the existing stock at full retail  waited till Nikon made an official announcement and put the stock on eBay.  At substantial profit.  nikon made some of the best scanners out there
The 35mm scanners were the LS 4000-5000
The MF was the 9000
Minolta made a really good scanner as well
The epson v750 is serviceable  but nowhere as clean as a film scanner

I think hassleblad marketed a line of scanners as well pricey.. plustek tried to fill the void when Nikon and MinoltaKonica stopped making film scanners.
But  I think the owners of the Nikon scanners would say plustek  quality is not the same.

I have an older. Coolscan 4000 for 35mm. Wish I could've spent the 1800$ for the 9000 when it was available.  I shoot 120-220 film as well.
Looks like I'll have stalk ebay for a used 9000.   The epson v750 is ok. But the older 9000 is better for film.  Btw. Hamricks vue scan software is probably the most used software.   But you still need a good piece of hardware.

Feb 28 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

Read your post, then surfed over to another forum and saw this ad, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/ind … ic=98121.0
The $1175 price is maybe a tad high for a Coolscan 5000, but not totally outrageous.

Edit:  I just noticed this is the Coolscan V, so maybe not the best choice.

Feb 28 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

You can pick up a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II for around 100 bucks. I have one and it works fine. With more recent versions of Windows some film scanners may not have a driver. In my case I downloaded Vuescan.

Feb 28 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The Nikon Coolscan does a good job, but these days, you can get really good scans on a combo printer / scanner. Epson is a good choice for that. The advantage there, is you are not limited, on format. You can scan anything from 35mm format to anything that will fit on the scanner, usually at least 4x5, if not larger.

Feb 28 15 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

descending chain wrote:
Read your post, then surfed over to another forum and saw this ad, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/ind … ic=98121.0
The $1175 price is maybe a tad high for a Coolscan 5000, but not totally outrageous.

Edit:  I just noticed this is the Coolscan V, so maybe not the best choice.

NOt entirely sure what the naming conventions are for the NIkons     the V may be be the 5000. newer models  have better optics and improved Dmax, There are software that removes scratches or built into the machine. Its a damn shame Nikon stopped making scanners years ago...

The epson V750 is similar to the V700. The V750 can do "wet" mounting scans... I'm not convinced these epsons are even equal to the NIkons or even Minoltas... The original price of the coolscan was in the high 800$  NEW...
1175 for a used scanner.....  they got you by the balls. I could sell my LS 4000  for way more than I paid for it.!

Feb 28 15 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

San Diego, California, US

I've got a Nikon Super Cool Scan 4000 with ICE and all the attachments I'd sell. Forgot I even had it until seeing this thread. Hardly ever used too.

Feb 28 15 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

the lonely photographer wrote:

NOt entirely sure what the naming conventions are for the NIkons     the V may be be the 5000. newer models  have better optics and improved Dmax, There are software that removes scratches or built into the machine. Its a damn shame Nikon stopped making scanners years ago...

The epson V750 is similar to the V700. The V750 can do "wet" mounting scans... I'm not convinced these epsons are even equal to the NIkons or even Minoltas... The original price of the coolscan was in the high 800$  NEW...
1175 for a used scanner.....  they got you by the balls. I could sell my LS 4000  for way more than I paid for it.!

The 750 is identical to the 700. It just comes with the wet mount kit and a different badge. And depending on when you bought it, aftermarket film holders and the cheaper 8 bit version of Silverfast.

A couple years ago I sold a broken Coolpix V for about $700. A broken one. It had the bulk attachment, but that was broken too.

Feb 28 15 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've been using a Canon 4000 for years, scanned over 1,000 35mm chromes with it
that I make money from every day on stock sales.  I've used the Nikon coolscans and
prefer the Canon.  I don't use any auto retouching built in to the scanners.  Depending
on the final output needs the 2870 USB by Canon scanners can be had for next to nothing
and they can do a really good job.

Mar 01 15 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey T Rue

Saint Pete Beach, Florida, US

Lucas_Smith wrote:
Would love anyone's recommendation on a good 35mm film scanner (yes, I'd prefer to scan myself). Doesn't need to be state-of-the-art or 'the absolute best', but I'd like a solid, reliable, and somewhat fast/speedy scanner who's software is compatible with the latest Mac OS.

I still use my Coolscan, Nikon. works great.. you can scratch your slides or negatives and use gelatin to manipulate them before you scan to enhance and play with them..

Mar 01 15 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Canvassy

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Right Poes wrote:
I have a canon 9000. It has trays for varying sized films except unfortunately 4X5 and up. It will recognize the tray and scan accordingly. It does I think a great simple job and couldn't be easier. That said it is already a few years old and I thing others on the market right now are cheaper and possibly better.

This.  I have the older Canon CanoScan 8800F, basically the same.  Got it for $35 off of craigslist, and it scans 35mm at a quite acceptable quality for web images, and does great with 120 medium format film.

Mar 03 15 03:13 pm Link