Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Bringing your own foundation?

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For an upcoming group shoot I was hired for, I was told to bring my own mascara and foundation to apply. I have never been asked this before.

Mascara I should be fine for, but I certainly don't have a foundation that will leave me photo ready (I have some cover girl for just casual wear and some bare minerals for more coverage, both liquid). What is a (I can't believe I'm saying this) not bad drugstore or reasonably priced sephora foundation that would be good for the shoot?

I'm not looking to spend a ton because I already have foundation, and frankly I can't afford it. I realize asking for a drugstore item is atrocious, but I'm desperate.

Mar 09 15 10:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

hi I am based in the UK and would advise rimmel lasting finish 25 hour foundation (liquid) is a good option I consider it a dupe for este lauder double wear.. it photographs beautifully and can be sheered out if mixed with a bit of moisturiser. However, I am not sure about availability in Canada. I also know that Loreal True Match is a really good drugstore foundation for a natural finish and seems to be easy to get in US

Mar 10 15 05:03 am Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SherryHarkisan wrote:
hi I am based in the UK and would advise rimmel lasting finish 25 hour foundation (liquid) is a good option I consider it a dupe for este lauder double wear.. it photographs beautifully and can be sheered out if mixed with a bit of moisturiser. However, I am not sure about availability in Canada. I also know that Loreal True Match is a really good drugstore foundation for a natural finish and seems to be easy to get in US

Thank you! smile

Mar 10 15 05:43 am Link

Body Painter

JZino

Buffalo, New York, US

Hmmm... I should check out the Rimmel foundation. I can vouch for the Loreal True Match!

Mar 10 15 07:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Cayleigh Chaos wrote:
Bringing your own foundation?  For an upcoming group shoot I was hired for

First and foremost knowing the exact details of a session BEFORE accepting the assignment is appropriate and germane... experience is a brutal teacher...  That said, if you're being asked to do your own makeup then likely the expectations by the client is rather low...  Nearly all commercial work I've been hired for has a full team aboard.... i.e. hair, makeup, wardrobe etc...

Cayleigh Chaos wrote:
...I have never been asked this before...

Understandable... this is likely not a large budget commercial shoot...  Just relax and enjoy and trip to the bank to deposit your check...

Best advice?  Use what you have and are proficient in working with... this is not the time to come up the curve on a new (read unknown) product... like what if you discover you're allergic to it?  That might not end well...

Plan B, no this isn't the morning after pill.... Cayleigh sometimes you get lucky... Toronto is the birthplace and home of MAC Cosmetics...  might consider booking a $50 full face demo on the day of the shoot... let the artist know what you're endeavoring to achieve here...  MAC artist are possibly the finest counter artist in the industry... period... they "get it" so you're likely to come away with $50 of product and an awesome look.... 

btw, there is a persistent myth that the quality of one's "look" is exclusively a result of the product used... nothing could be farther from the truth here.... it is tenured skill which with product is applied that controls the end results... an accomplished MUA can work magic with nearly every low end product available... that said yes there are foundations which make workflow so much easier... what you typically are seeking is the amount of pigment in the emulsion... However professional grade product typically has a rather stiff slip and glide and takes skill to apply while retail (read consumer grade) product is low in pigment but very easy to apply, some even contain a fine powder so they are self setting...

Bottom line? bring what you know works... it's the photographer's problem to deal with how it translates on camera, especially since you're not being provided  a session makeup artist...  FYI, any competent commercial photographer can illuminate to minimize or eliminate makeup product issues...  those who state otherwise are not tenured and are simply passing off their responsibilities to other team members... An absolute certain sign of an inexperience photographer.... those with tenure don't make excuses they simply make it work....  hope this makes sense...

Enjoy your shoot, nice you're being paid... that goes a long way to making for a positive experience...

Mar 10 15 08:18 am Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you all!

There is an MUA going to be there but for some reason (which I can only assume is she's a starter and doesn't have a full foundation palate or doesn't want to play guess the shade) she wants us to have our own foundation.

Oh well! I have a shoot coming up and some new products to try smile

Mar 10 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Btfineart

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I wonder if the request to bring your own is related to avoiding sanitation issues in a group makeup situation.

Mar 11 15 04:18 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm not sure what type of project you were hired for.  Are you an extra,  principal, part of a group?  There are times I have asked the models to come with foundation on only.  This is because of the number of models hired, and time was limited for me to get them ready and on set.  There are times the budget is so small it hardly allows for me to get paid, let alone  hire someone else to help.  I have been hired to only be on set for hair and the models were told to come with their makeup camera ready.  Here in South Florida most models know how to do their own hair and makeup as they need to show up on castings and some projects that don't hire hair and makeup.   So to answer your question, no.  Not uncommon.   At least in South Florida.  R-

Mar 11 15 05:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

A MUA who is not equipped to do the job should not have accepted the job. I'm sorry that you have been put in this situation. I would not normally recommend it, but in this circumstance Revlon Colorstay is a viable option if you have the time to play with it ahead of the shoot and get comfortable with it. Otherwise, I'd do as recommended above and use what you have and know.

Mar 11 15 09:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

That is weird and very unprofessional. That makeup artist is clearly not prepared.

But, to answer your question.
My favorite drug store foundation is L'oreal Tru Match Lumi.
You could also get an RCMA 1oz (refill) foundation. You can get it online at Friends, $27. RCMA is a professional grade foundation, you really need to know how to use it. If you do end up getting that.. hopefully the makeup artist will know how to use it. Knowing that she has asked you to bring your foundations, makes me doubt her abilities..

MAC Studio Fix Fluid is $27 and easier to use.

MAKE UP FOR EVER Foundation is also a beautiful foundation, however it is around $40
Bobbi Brown Stick foundations are also stunning, but again $40

Honestly, you could just stick with the foundation that you already have. Because if you want a high quality foundation that will look good in print, you would have to spend some money.

I'm assuming she doesn't want to spend money on foundation for you, so you could ask her to buy a foundation with her pro discount and you will pay her back. This would be a normal situation for a bride, but entirely unprofessional for a photo shoot. Again.. this is just a weird situation.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your shoot!

Mar 11 15 03:15 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rick lesser wrote:
I'm not sure what type of project you were hired for.  Are you an extra,  principal, part of a group?  There are times I have asked the models to come with foundation on only.  This is because of the number of models hired, and time was limited for me to get them ready and on set.  There are times the budget is so small it hardly allows for me to get paid, let alone  hire someone else to help.  I have been hired to only be on set for hair and the models were told to come with their makeup camera ready.  Here in South Florida most models know how to do their own hair and makeup as they need to show up on castings and some projects that don't hire hair and makeup.   So to answer your question, no.  Not uncommon.   At least in South Florida.  R-

There are 3 models, including myself. Like I said, ive never been asked to bring my own product in the past and this is why I needed a good product. I know how to do my own hair and makeup, but looking good for an event and looking good with all the lights, camera, etc are different and a trained pro is best, just imo smile

Mar 11 15 03:56 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MeganCalfoMakeup wrote:
That is weird and very unprofessional. That makeup artist is clearly not prepared.

But, to answer your question.
My favorite drug store foundation is L'oreal Tru Match Lumi.
You could also get an RCMA 1oz (refill) foundation. You can get it online at Friends, $27. RCMA is a professional grade foundation, you really need to know how to use it. If you do end up getting that.. hopefully the makeup artist will know how to use it. Knowing that she has asked you to bring your foundations, makes me doubt her abilities..

MAC Studio Fix Fluid is $27 and easier to use.

MAKE UP FOR EVER Foundation is also a beautiful foundation, however it is around $40
Bobbi Brown Stick foundations are also stunning, but again $40

Honestly, you could just stick with the foundation that you already have. Because if you want a high quality foundation that will look good in print, you would have to spend some money.

I'm assuming she doesn't want to spend money on foundation for you, so you could ask her to buy a foundation with her pro discount and you will pay her back. This would be a normal situation for a bride, but entirely unprofessional for a photo shoot. Again.. this is just a weird situation.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your shoot!

Thank you so much! I didnt even think of that option smile

Mar 11 15 03:57 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's a group shoot, not a commercial shoot. Low budget is right. I don't know why anyone is surprised, unless you've never actually witnessed a group shoot.

OP: sephora often gives samples that are large enough to do one full face (if you don't go too heavy), so you can basically go for whichever brand you want. Revlon color stay is decent enough. We do carry Rimmel in drug stores here if you want to try that route.

Mar 11 15 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I don't think group shoot and professional really go together. Group shoots are not commercial shoots.

For all we know the makeup artist is getting paid very little or nothing.

Mascara sounds like a sanitation issue -- maybe she doesn't have spoolies and doesn't want to have three separate mascaras.

I sometimes have inexpensive mascaras that I just give to models instead of using disposables -- then I don't have to worry about double dipping.

I sometimes get models that insist on using their own foundation which drives me bananas unless it is good stuff and color matched. Most of the time "normal" everyday people bring their own foundation it is not matched to their skin tone and is not for photography.

In any case it sounds like a low budget or no budget shoot and that is what she is working with.

Mar 11 15 10:54 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

KungPaoChic wrote:
I don't think group shoot and professional really go together. Group shoots are not commercial shoots.

For all we know the makeup artist is getting paid very little or nothing.

Mascara sounds like a sanitation issue -- maybe she doesn't have spoolies and doesn't want to have three separate mascaras.

I sometimes have inexpensive mascaras that I just give to models instead of using disposables -- then I don't have to worry about double dipping.

I sometimes get models that insist on using their own foundation which drives me bananas unless it is good stuff and color matched. Most of the time "normal" everyday people bring their own foundation it is not matched to their skin tone and is not for photography.

In any case it sounds like a low budget or no budget shoot and that is what she is working with.

Mar 12 15 05:23 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

This.  Above.  Oy.  Can't remember how to link into what other people said.  Anyway, I was trying to be kind when I asked what part you have in the shoot?  So I take it your an extra or part of a larger group.  So I stand behind my post.  R-

Mar 12 15 05:23 am Link