Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Skin prep list to give brides.

Makeup Artist

Jennifer_May

Peoria, Illinois, US

I am wanting to get together a skin prep list to give my brides. I haven't sat down to get it all together but I wanted to get some suggestions before I do put it together.

I'm wanting things like... X weeks to get eyebrows waxed,
Don't get any harsh chemical peels or exfoliating treatments X time before your wedding.
--as soon as you get engaged start a moisturizing routine.. Etc etc

Like I said I wanted to get other people's ideas/suggestions.

Mar 13 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

If would be good to encourage getting test pictures done, with flash, on the make up test day.  Don't want to get results like this.

https://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/afm-style-files/wp-content/uploads/nicolekidmanninepremiere.jpg

Mar 13 15 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

great idea.  I keep some visine eye drops around to help out the tired eyes.  I'm only a photographer and try not to give too much advice.  I am happy that someone thinks of these things though.

Mar 15 15 03:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

Los Angeles, California, US

I think there are general timelines but I also think its a good idea to connect with each client individually to access her needs. ask questions....

1. how easily is your skin irriated?
2. do you plan on waxing your brows? if so, how does your skin do with the process?? then suggest maybe she does it a few days before..... or a bit more if shes never had it done
3. what is your current skincare regime? access her needs from what she tells you..... is she broken out but using a heavy moisturizer? suggest an oil free one.... just an example but they will appreciate the "personal" touches.
4. will they be getting a tan (real or spray) before the event? have they done so in the past?

i would say the big NO NO before a big event is to do something they have never done before close to the day of..... even a new facial can be a skin disaster if you dont know how your skin will respond

hope that is helpful.... smile xo

Mar 16 15 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

Totally agree ^^^ It really depends on the clients skin type. If they're easily irritated, sensitive skin etc.

I would always advise a bride to not do any harsh chemical peels or invasive skin treatments, especially exfoliating treatments. Unless they get facials on a regular basis and their skin is used to it or they know how their skin will react.

If they want to change their skincare regimen then they should do so at least a month (3 months would be better, gives them more time to find the best products, in case certain ones don't work out.) before the wedding, so their skin will get used to it. Again, it's important to know their skin type before advising any products, because they must use products that correspond with their skin.

When it comes to waxing, do so at least a week before and tweeze anything that grows back.

Tanning could be a little dangerous… especially if they have never done it before. I would recommend only going 1-2 shades darker, anything more could look very unnatural. Also, have a professional do it by hand (airbrush).

If they want a specific brand of makeup, especially when it comes to foundations and concealers, make sure they test it out for about a week. You could go with them to a beauty supply store and base match them so they have the correct shade, then get a sample so it will last about a week. A week gives them enough time to see how it looks and how it wears and also if it causes them any skin problems.

Hope this helps!

Mar 16 15 08:26 pm Link