Forums > Photography Talk > Can you use old Canon lenses on new Canon cameras?

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I heard that someone sells an adapter that allows the use of older Canon lenses with Canon EOS cameras? True/False?

If True:
- could you provide a link to the company's web site
- anyone using the adapter who can comment on the quality?

Aug 27 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Are we talking FD manual focus? Yea there is an adapter but it has a glass element and degrades image quality. Don't have a URL at the moment but google "photonotes" or "Bob Atkins" or "canon eos lens adapters". I have one for  MF Nikkor to EOS but it doesn't require the glass element like canon FD to EOS does.

Aug 27 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Steinberg Photo wrote:
I heard that someone sells an adapter that allows the use of older Canon lenses with Canon EOS cameras? True/False?

If True:
- could you provide a link to the company's web site
- anyone using the adapter who can comment on the quality?

Sorrym should have specified Canon FD lenses.

Aug 27 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

There are 2 kinds.  The one Bruce is talking about has optics in it that allows the FD lens to focus to infinity.  That one is the most readily available from what I can see (see them new on eBay all the time - search under: eos fd adapter).  There's a 2nd one that doesn't have optics, but as you'd guess you can't focus to infinity with it. 

One with optics goes for around $40.

-=>Donald

Aug 27 05 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Found it. It looks like these are the only sources. Thanks.

Aug 28 05 06:26 am Link

Model

Chelsea Hope

Chicago, Illinois, US

How old are we talking? Because I had a canon rebel 2000 with 2 lenses and they fit on my new camera (canon EOS 20D). The guy that I bought the EOS from said all my old canon lenses should fit my new camera..and the ones i have do. but i dont know how old he was talkin about.

Sep 14 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Older than that. wink  EF lenses work on both film and digital.  FD lenses only work on the older film cameras (A1, etc).

Paul

Sep 14 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

All Canon 35mm SLR cameras built before about 1986 used manual focus "FD" mount lenses. When they switched to autofocus lenses around 1986, they changed the mount, which is now called an EF mount. All EF mount lenses work on any Canon 35mm SLR built for about the last 20 years. Older FD mount lenses can only be used on newer cameras with an adaptor. Canon came out with a new mount a couple years ago, called an EF-S mount, that will only work on the D-Rebel and the 20D (those cameras can also use all regular EF mount lenses).

Personally, I wouldn't give you $0.10 for any FD/EF mount adaptor I've ever seen.

Sep 15 05 12:51 am Link