Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Making a long train gown - advice?

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm going to be shooting a creative fashion set this spring/summer, and a key component will be the dress.

What I am looking for doesn't seem to really be an off the rack kind of offering.   Something very similar to what Karl Taylor did in iceland.

http://www.karltaylorphotography.com/bl … est570.jpg

When I viewed some behind the scenes footage, the train seemed to detach from the dress. This made me think that perhaps these two pieces came together separately.  The very long train is the key element to the dress that I am looking for, as this will be a concept involving movement and the dress.

Stylists, where would you source something like this?  What would be the most economical approach?

Any advice more than welcome and appreciated!

Mar 23 15 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Custom made.  Simple cut.   If someone is already making similar standard length dresses they would be able to supply additional matching fabric or possibly fabricate the train if not otherwise busy. (it would be almost impossible to match the fabric otherwise)  Suggest printing the photo and asking around in the garment district - Queen & Spadina and southwest.  It is prom dress season.

Mar 23 15 07:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ann Oster

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Custom made dress with a detachable bustle/train.
Eassssy peasy. Your seamstress/designer should have zero trouble drafting that.

Mar 24 15 09:36 am Link

Photographer

EdgarPaul

Cerritos, California, US

I zoomed into the picture as much as possible and it appears the train is just a long piece of fabric folded. If you look closely the color of the dress and the train are different. You can also tell that there is more than one layer to the train.

The easiest way to do this without a huge budget would be to buy a prom dress of your color choice that has a lot of drape. Then buy 3-4 yards of silk organza that matches closely. You could buy a synthetic fabric but it won't "flow" as nicely and it's also much more difficult to press.

The fabric is slightly folded inward, away from the camera, on the selvedges making the 60" width probably 30-40". This hides the raw selvedges. One end is pinned to the prom dress up the center back  The other end can be hemmed by folding it over twice at 1/2" and sewing it with matching thread. If you don't know how to sew you can fold it like you would be hemming it, then pin it about every 6-8" with thin dress maker pins, and finally press it (iron it) to keep the hem in place for the shoot.

Hope this helps

Apr 09 15 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Riverton, Utah, US

If you already have the skills, the *most* economical way to get a look like that is a composite image. That's a $1 bed sheet blowing in the wind...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150415/15/552ee8594c444_m.jpg

Apr 15 15 03:39 pm Link