Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Basic Hair styling Kit

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm not sure this has been covered yet, but I'm building up a basic hair styling kit and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any must have products?

Mar 25 15 04:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Alannah The Stylist wrote:
I'm not sure this has been covered yet, but I'm building up a basic hair styling kit and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any must have products?

Hi Alannah

I assume this is a professional kit? Obvious or not so obvious... these are off the top of my head that I can think of that I would include:
- Combs - such as backcombing comb, regular combs, etc
- Brushes - paddle brush, barrel brush, etc
- Hairspary, texturisers
- Bobby pins / U pins & elastic bands (those little clear ones are great)
- Hair straighteners / rollers / hair dryer
- Hair scissors - although it is styling you never know when you might need to trim a bit of hair (or extensions)
- some sort of faux hair - extensions or pony tail wigs
- hair padding - donuts etc

and lastly
- Barbicide (this is a brand name but it is the sanitising liquid that barbers/hairdressers cleanse their combs in) This is no different to a makeup artist cleansing makeup brushes between clients! Unless you are going to throw your combs away between clients like a MUA who uses disposable lip gloss wands or mascara wands. Barbicide is an essential for any hair styling professional

Take from this what you will but this is what my hair kit includes in the first instance smile

Mar 27 15 07:11 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

SherryHarkisan wrote:

Hi Alannah

I assume this is a professional kit? Obvious or not so obvious... these are off the top of my head that I can think of that I would include:
- Combs - such as backcombing comb, regular combs, etc
- Brushes - paddle brush, barrel brush, etc
- Hairspary, texturisers
- Bobby pins / U pins & elastic bands (those little clear ones are great)
- Hair straighteners / rollers / hair dryer
- Hair scissors - although it is styling you never know when you might need to trim a bit of hair (or extensions)
- some sort of faux hair - extensions or pony tail wigs
- hair padding - donuts etc

and lastly
- Barbicide (this is a brand name but it is the sanitising liquid that barbers/hairdressers cleanse their combs in) This is no different to a makeup artist cleansing makeup brushes between clients! Unless you are going to throw your combs away between clients like a MUA who uses disposable lip gloss wands or mascara wands. Barbicide is an essential for any hair styling professional

Take from this what you will but this is what my hair kit includes in the first instance smile

Thank you!
Yes I'm building a professional kit.

Mar 28 15 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

I used to do basic styling, I got my kit from my school, so I didn't pay much attention to specific products and brands. However my favorite hair product brands are: Kenra and Aveda.

Here is a little kit list, the bare minimum:

-Combs (wide tooth and thin tooth, teezing comb, rat tail comb)
-Paddle Brush, circle/round brush
-Hair bands/ties (black, thin and thick) Also, those small, clear ties (not sure what they're called)
-Bobby pins and hair pins
-Duck Bill/Alligator clips
-Pomade
-Hair gel
-Anti-Frizz Syrum (I've heard amazing things about Jonh Freida)
-Hairspray (Highly recommend Kenra) (You need a light, working spray and then a hard, finishing spray)
-Shine Spray (Again, I recommend Kenra. A lot of Kenra's hairsprays add shine, so you could just get the hairspray)
-Spray bottle filled with water
-Barbecide or Marvecide and a glass container to let brushes soak (Let them soak, 10 mins. Clean after every use)
-Straightner
-Curling wand (you could get one from Bellami or Nume, they have ones that come with 6 or more different wands that you can attach)
-Blow Dryer (I like the travel sized ones, you could get a really cheap one, because they're small they seem to have more power and they dry hair really fast)
-Heated Hair Roller Set (optional, really good for period hair styles.)

I believe thats it…
Hope this helps, all the best!

Apr 10 15 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Alannah The Stylist wrote:
Basic Hair styling Kit... any must have products?

Alannah, SherryHarkisan's enumeration is superb...

That said, to her lists of hot tools I would strongly recommend curling irons of several different barrel diameters...  Why? In a bridal setting or on a production set time typically is of the essence...  You're likely hired to do the Bride,  MOB, bridesmaids and even the MOG...  Curlers, even heated one's are not an option here...  Yes you can curl and do updo's with a flat iron but thrust me you don't want to go there when optimizing workflow... rollers are not an option either if you're doing multiple clients...

Might add a sectioning comb (rat tail) to the mix...  Mine gets VERY heavily used when working with hot tools...

Also get a Pro Card for Sally Beauty Supply or such... Hair product will eat into your profit margins quickly...  My Pro Cards are cherished... without the aforementioned discounts it would be difficult to generate a healthy revenue stream in a highly competitive marketplace...

Final thoughts... You are aware that in Long Beach you need a cosmetologist licensee to either cut and/or color, correct?  There are compelling reasons why 1500 hours of formal training are required to sit for that exam...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey

Apr 12 15 08:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Alannah, SherryHarkisan's enumeration is superb...

That said, to her lists of hot tools I would strongly recommend curling irons of several different barrel diameters...  Why? In a bridal setting or on a production set time typically is of the essence...  You're likely hired to do the Bride,  MOB, bridesmaids and even the MOG...  Curlers, even heated one's are not an option here...  Yes you can curl and do updo's with a flat iron but thrust me you don't want to go there when optimizing workflow... rollers are not an option either if you're doing multiple clients...

Might add a sectioning comb (rat tail) to the mix...  Mine gets VERY heavily used when working with hot tools...

Also get a Pro Card for Sally Beauty Supply or such... Hair product will eat into your profit margins quickly...  My Pro Cards are cherished... without the aforementioned discounts it would be difficult to generate a healthy revenue stream in a highly competitive marketplace...

Final thoughts... You are aware that in Long Beach you need a cosmetologist licensee to either cut and/or color, correct?  There are compelling reasons why 1500 hours of formal training are required to sit for that exam...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey

Thank you!
I'm not looking to do hair in a salon or anything.I just want to add a few additional skills to my skill set. I'm going to start assisting hair stylist to get a the vibe of styling hair on set.

Apr 12 15 06:36 pm Link