Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Dark undereye circles

Model

MariaJ

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have horrible dark undereye circles and I always have.  Finding the right masking agent has been tough.  I've tried garnier's undereye circle stick and revlon's as well and they both don't do anything for me. Is there a serum or concealer to try that could minimize them?

Apr 04 15 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MariaJ wrote:
dark undereye circles

Maria, from your BIO you list your Skin Color:as White...  This will magnify shade variations, which btw, are typically genetic thus a search to find a "serum" to control will likely only enrich the cosmetic industry vendors.... Sad that "hope in a bottle" is the norm here... and a primary reason I admire MAC who's founders Frank Toskin and Frank Angelo refused of buy into...MAC does not sell "hope in a bottle" instead it sells cosmetics...

Speaking of which MAC's Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15 or NW15 might be a reasonable starting point... however you'll need to follow this with MAC's Full Coverage Foundation (heavy cream) to assure complete masking...  This would be for photo-shoots and/or video not for street use...  This nice thing about MAC's Full Coverage Foundation is it also comes in White thus you'll be able to color match your complexion with no worries...

Best advice?  Go to a MAC store and have the artist demo Pro Longwear for you... sadly they will not have Full Coverage foundation which is only available on-line (or a specialized MAC stores) which is unfortunate but understandable since their Full Coverage Foundation is formulated for professional use... not for retail clientele...

What do I use?  For bridal I rely nearly exclusively on TEMPTU S/B airbrush product... nothing else comes close for wear-ability and coverage... That said few commercial artist are willing to make the significant time/effort investment to master airbrush let alone TEMPTU S/B which owing to it's higher viscosity is more challenging to apply...

Other options?  RCMA is another highly pigmented heavy cream with nearly the same properties as MAC's Full Coverage Foundation, but again this is a professional product typically used by commercial makeup artist... Retail clientele simply haven't developed technique for handling a heavy cream product... However if you go this route might look at their Shinto Series which I've found works well form porcelain and ivory complexions...

Important Note: typically you'll have to deal with a blue/purple undertone for your under-eye area... this is more than simply a "shade" masking issue... A salmon orange will likely neutralize this... get a color wheel and study it... know what the difference is between tint, tone, and shade...  the complexities of hue and chroma are significant... only with a firm grasp of color theory will you become one with your concealers and foundations...   

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Apr 04 15 07:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

You need to use a corrector, not a concealer, that is opposite in color on the color wheel to the color you are trying to correct. The corrector should be highly pigmented, so using a professional product as opposed to a product formulated for consumer use will yield the best results. Lightly tapping your foundation over the product without disturbing it will maintain the result. Ben Nye is an inexpensive professional brand that makes lovely correctors. For help choosing a corrector and foundation to meet your needs, I would suggest hiring a professional makeup artist to help you. Most salespeople at makeup counters and stores are not going to be equipped to do this and will try to sell you a product they sell as opposed to one that will actually do the job and be appropriate for use at work and in everyday life. Unfortunately, dark circles are the result of aging, genetics, and other things that cannot be helped by skin care products. Getting enough sleep and proper nutrition and hydration might help if they are exacerbating the problem, but they will not eliminate it entirely.

Apr 04 15 11:06 am Link

Model

Ishtar Eve

Baltimore, Maryland, US

May I suggest trying Eye and Lip cream from It Works? I know of several women of your complexion that use it and it works wonderfully for them. I use it as well. That way you'd have no need to cover up with makeup.

Apr 04 15 03:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I have the exact same problem... this is my daily routine.

Step one: Apply a yellow or orange color corrector on the darkest part of the circle only. Feel free to apply it quite liberally.

Step two: Cover it with your foundation, like normal. (Pat, don't wipe.)

Step three: Clinique's "All About Eyes" concealer in their lightest shade, which has a yellow undertone.

Don't forget a light dusting of loose powder to keep it all in place! smile

Apr 05 15 03:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I've had dark circles ever since I was 2. I've learned that my dark circles is hyper pigmentation, meaning, it's nearly impossible to find anything to fix them. I have tried just about every eye cream claiming to get rid of dark circles, nothing works. I've learned to just live with mine. I still use eye creams, but it's really just for hydration to prevent wrinkles.

Sorry to be a downer, just thought I'd let you know that there are different types of dark circles out there. And if you can't find anything that works… Then it's important to learn to accept it and you'll be okay with it.

However! You can always temporarily conceal them with makeup!

I use Bobbi Browns Peach corrector. There are different shades of the peach corrector, I just get the simple peach color. I'm very fair and it works well for me. It's a universal shade that can work for just about all skin tones, I really use it for the peach tone, not the specific shade of peach, you're just going to cover it up with concealer, no one will know you have bright orange corrector under your eyes. You just need the tiniest amount! That's the key, a little goes a long way.
I then use MAC Pro Longwear Concealer, I'm NC20.
Then I set with MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural, I'm Light Plus.

Apr 08 15 12:05 am Link

Model

Panache Lady

VINCENTOWN, New Jersey, US

Google:  Dark undereye circles parasite  &  Dark undereye circles mercury poison
~
Parasite:
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=735214
~
Mercury Poison:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?pbig_smile … mp=yhs-001
~
www.ParasiteTesting.com ~ they test all 250,000 bad parasites known in the world!
~  Most all US labs are only allowed to test 40-50 types!   Only 1% of people are diagnosed properly!
~  50,000 of the 250,000 are yeast types...
~
Have an organic acid test done for mercury...
OR
http://drlwilson.com/do%20hair%20analysis.htm ~ 80% accurate in all mineral levels and tells you what to eat to get levels up...
~
My medical blog is  https://pcoslady.wordpress.com/  ...
~   Go to Index/Contents and then Parasites ... Look at the extensive parasite symptoms list...
~
I do medical research, have since 2003!
~
You can google any symptom/diagnosis .. parasite or mercury poison and find a link to them!  Most all will be parasite linked!

Apr 13 15 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Panache Lady wrote:
Google:  Dark undereye circles parasite  &  Dark undereye circles mercury poison
~
Parasite:
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=735214
~
Mercury Poison:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?pbig_smile … mp=yhs-001
~
www.ParasiteTesting.com ~ they test all 250,000 bad parasites known in the world!
~  Most all US labs are only allowed to test 40-50 types!   Only 1% of people are diagnosed properly!
~  50,000 of the 250,000 are yeast types...
~
Have an organic acid test done for mercury...
OR
http://drlwilson.com/do%20hair%20analysis.htm ~ 80% accurate in all mineral levels and tells you what to eat to get levels up...
~
My medical blog is  https://pcoslady.wordpress.com/  ...
~   Go to Index/Contents and then Parasites ... Look at the extensive parasite symptoms list...
~
I do medical research, have since 2003!
~
You can google any symptom/diagnosis .. parasite or mercury poison and find a link to them!  Most all will be parasite linked!

Some people just naturally ( genetics) have undereye circles. Also it could be allergies. While I am not saying that mercury poisoning or parasite are not possible causes I think they are more unlikely than other factors like genetics or allergies.

Apr 14 15 10:25 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

When we hear hoofbeats, think horses - not zebras.

A grounding in realistic expectations is the first step in best determining how to proceed.
Digital editing has "trained" people what "normal" looks like - so we've forgotten what Real Humans look like.

Real humans have a things called anatomy and pigmentation.

Real life makeup starts with proper nutrition and hydration - but that's not going to change genes.
Learning color correction to conceal as opposed to troweling on concealer is important.

Apr 14 15 04:33 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MariaJ wrote:
I have horrible dark undereye circles and I always have.  Finding the right masking agent has been tough.  I've tried garnier's undereye circle stick and revlon's as well and they both don't do anything for me. Is there a serum or concealer to try that could minimize them?

Potato slices/wedges, (instead of cucumbers which are good for puffiness.)

smile!

Jen

Apr 14 15 05:15 pm Link