Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > nasolabial folds

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

I'm practicing photography and I use friends and relatives as models.
I often photograph women who are in their late 30's -early 40s  and most of them have nasolabial folds (laugh lines) . In particular my favorite model (also a friend of mine) has this problem even if she’s only 30. I know I can eliminate the problem in Photoshop (I asked in the “digital art and retouching forum” some months ago and I had good responses), but I was wondering if  these lines could be minimized with makeup and how could it be done.
I have another related question: my favorite model (also a friend of mine) has this problem even if she’s only 30, and she wants to know if there is a cosmetic that can reduce this type of lines because she has tried a lot of creams and serums and nothing have worked. And what about facial exercises? Do they work?
Thanks in advance to those who will answer!  smile

Apr 15 15 02:39 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

neve wrote:
I'm practicing photography and I use friends and relatives as models.
I often photograph women who are in their late 30's -early 40s  and most of them have nasolabial folds (laugh lines) . In particular my favorite model (also a friend of mine) has this problem even if she’s only 30. I know I can eliminate the problem in Photoshop (I asked in the “digital art and retouching forum” some months ago and I had good responses), but I was wondering if  these lines could be minimized with makeup and how could it be done.
I have another related question: my favorite model (also a friend of mine) has this problem even if she’s only 30, and she wants to know if there is a cosmetic that can reduce this type of lines because she has tried a lot of creams and serums and nothing have worked. And what about facial exercises? Do they work?
Thanks in advance to those who will answer!  smile

Hi,
I think it is a genetic thing moreso than age related, (mind didn't become prominant until 46. There is facial yoga that can deminish many facial issues, (folds, wrinkles and, sagging.) Now that my jowels are sagging I realize that the nasolabial folds are the least of my own issues! smile (:

Make up can definitely diminish it but, for lighting I think positioning the head is even better for it.

Jen

Apr 15 15 02:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

Applying a highlight (a shade that is a couple shades lighter than skin tone) in the depth of the folds will help to minimize the lines.

As for preventing them/getting rid of them. Having prominent nasolabial folds is just a characteristic of the face. The only way to prevent wrinkles/fine lines is to keep the skin and your body hydrated. I like using natural oils for hydration (coconut oil, Josie Maran Argan Oil, Fresh Sea Berry Oil, Lush Full of Grace Syrum) Glycerin is also an amazing moisturizer that I strongly believe will prevent wrinkles. And you must keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water. However again, this is just for fine lines and wrinkles. Like I said, prominent nasolabial folds are just a facial feature.

Apr 15 15 10:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

The only way to physically diminish lines on the face is with a cosmetic filler, injected by a board certified dermatologist. An experienced makeup artist will be able to diminish the appearance slightly. There are two products that help with this skin care wise: Kiehl's makes a wrinkle filler type product and so does Kinerase. Both work well.

Apr 16 15 12:56 am Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

My wife, mid 50s, uses "INSTANT FIRMx" , it is magic, it works, lasts for hours and works immediately! To test it, just apply it to one side of the face, you will see the difference.. It takes 20 years off the age. I use "INSTANT FIRMx Eye" for baggy eyes, it is amazing product.

This stuff is much cheaper than the Japaneses cream I used to use -($90 Vs.$32),  The face one costs $35 or $48 depending on size, the bigger one is like three times as big at only 15 bucks more.

Here is the link (the source) http://www.peterthomasroth.com/p-193-in … tener.aspx

Or from here http://www.sephora.com/instant-firmx-P2 … Id=1284413
Sephora, this is how we found it at local Sephora store, I was loading up on makeup for my MUA when my wife spotted it,

They have sample, ask them, they will let you try it on, just do one half of face, either side, you will see the results and be able to compare before and after or rather "with" and "without".

I am not affiliated with them by any stretch of imagination. it just WORKS!

Apr 16 15 02:22 am Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Thanks everybody for your answers! You are right, it is a genetic  thing , my friend had these lines when she was my age too and even younger , but they are more visible now that’s why  I asked you for a remedy.
I’ll print all your advices and give them to her
Thanks again smile

Apr 17 15 03:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Art by Tamara

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I use a luminous cream or foundation, and literally go over those lines with it, then gently buff the lines out. Or you can try a flesh-colored highlight pencil a shade or two lighter than the skin, drawn directly on the lines then blended, which will visually bring the area forward, diminishing the appearance in photos. Good luck!

Apr 19 15 05:26 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Makeup Art by Tamara wrote:
I use a luminous cream or foundation, and literally go over those lines with it, then gently buff the lines out. Or you can try a flesh-colored highlight pencil a shade or two lighter than the skin, drawn directly on the lines then blended, which will visually bring the area forward, diminishing the appearance in photos. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll try your tips when I  photograph her again! Luckily she has not a fair skin, so I can easily find a highlighter or a foundation two shades lighter than her skin smile

Apr 22 15 03:12 am Link