Makeup Artist

SinCityFaces

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am a just getting my career within this industry started and have begun building my kit.

I have heard so many mixed reviews on the concept of foundation palettes... A lot of makeup artist say HELL NO and others say OH YESS!

I figured investing in a good foundation palette would be best because they come with such a wide range of shades. However, the quality of the foundation is obviously most important to me, as I would NEVER want my clients to look cakey or invest in a foundation that does not provide the coverage desired.

I have heard great things about the MUD foundations palettes, as well as the Graftobian and RCMA foundations palettes. What is your take on this & what do you suggest somebody who is just starting out and on somewhat of a budget do?

Apr 24 15 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MakeupWithMacKenzey wrote:
I am a just getting my career within this industry started and have begun building my kit.
... foundation palettes...

MacKenzey, foundation is far and away THE most important component in a commercial artist kit
However becoming one with a specific product can and likely will take a considerable investment of time (read practice here) The actual up front cost of the product pales when compared to the time/practice investment... FACT not fiction...

That said, do you need to have a complete suite of hue/chroma/shade/tint/tone etc for each client whom might sit in your chair

Absolutely not...
Before you even think about purchase of any product line you must have a solid understanding of color theory...
There is no substitute for the aforementioned... Do you have a color wheel? and most importantly do you know/understand how to use it? 

Invest some time working as a rep at a retail counter and you'll quickly get your head around the concept of Retail verses Professional Product... Retail offerings come in a myriad of hue/chroma/shade/tint/tones each a "prefect" match for a client's skin tone (at least on any given day under a particular illumination source).  While Professional Product are limited to a dozen of so hue/chroma/shade/tint/tones but come with color adjustors so the artist can mix to match absolutely any skin tone they might encounter...

The next issue is ease of application...  Retail product tend to be liquid (many even dry to a powdery finish) and are formulated to be easy to apply... while Professional Product tend to be highly pigmented, with a very stiff slip and guide... thus may require thinning to achieve the desired textural properties to address even the most challenging complexions...   Pro Product is decided NOT a wise choice for amateurs (read retail clients here)...

MakeupWithMacKenzey wrote:
...what do you suggest somebody who is just starting out and on somewhat of a budget do?

What might be the artist's skill set? Without knowing how comfortable the artist is with airbrush and/or heavy cream product it is virtually impossible to provide precise guidance here... Sorry but there are no "magic fixes"...

What I can share with your is my journey... Professionally trained (Yvonne de Vilar) and licensed...  Turned to Mayhem in 2008 for industry wisdom... collaborated with a HUGE number of talent in my market and started with a Kit provide by Camera Ready Cosmetics (read Mary here) She chose RCMA Palettes and I used them for several years before turning to TEMPTU S/B Airbrush Product owing to my focus on bridal (Sorry but I'm a mercenary in the game for money)  In my market NOT being able to offer airbrush was a serous career limiting move...  Which is better? neither... depends on the client, the narrative, the time available, etc... Again no easy answers...

Fast forward... today I'm migrating toward MAC... why? brand recognition... my commercial clientele equate MAC with high end... and rightly so... though many like to bash the brand, they aren't likely dealing with retail clients... again I'm a mercenary.... and couldn't give a rat's tush on what those who masquerade as "industry professionals"  think...  Besides once I got my MAC Pro Card the entire financial dynamic equation changed.... MAC is now more cost effective (for me) than typical drugstore brands...

MacKenzey, please keep in mind that makeup artist are not much different than photographers when it come to Brand Loyalty... Once an artist becomes familiar with a product line they are highly unlikely to experiment with other offerings within the marketplace (especially if they are booked constantly).  Amateurs however are constantly searching for the "Perfect" foundation since they don't have paid work and way too much time on their hands... lol 

Las Vegas, Nevada is a major market...  lots and lots of paid gigs... you're a lucky girl..  might actually ask around and see if you can assist other tenured artist in your market...  Assisting is a wonderful path into the industry... but attending the MUD Institute in LA is likely another...

Sorry about the long answer... but the query is more complex than it appears on the surface... to simply say RCMA is easy but may not be appropriate for the Las Vegas Market... hope this makes sense...

all the best on your journey...

Apr 26 15 08:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

BeautybytheButler

Los Angeles, California, US

As a beginner myself, I did a lot of research on this. I purchased the Graftobian Warm Palette. It has a great array of shades, and as a mua you will need to learn how to mix, to get your clients perfect shade. The warm palette is the middle one, and I have not yet come into contact with someone I could not match. Color theory is something you should learn, but you also learn as you go, it isn't something you need to be completely knowledgable in when getting started. These foundations cover great and don't cake up and most importantly, they photograph beautifully!

Apr 26 15 08:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SinCityFaces

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thank you! That is the exact palette I was looking into purchasing! I have heard that learning about color theory and purchasing a mixing medium will be very beneficial when using this product.

I have begun studying the color theory - for mixing foundations to create the perfect shade, as well as for figuring out complimentary colors, what colors go well with each other and what colors make other colors pop more!

Thank you so much for your insight, as I love hearing from any Make up artist beginner - advanced!

Good luck on your journey!

Apr 29 15 01:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I have had the same question. If you're just starting out and you've got a budget, I would recommend the RCMA Shinto and Ko palettes. You can get both of them for around $100 with your pro discount. RCMA creates beautiful foundations, they look flawless on the skin. You can get full coverage to sheer coverage by using their thinner.

However, I have noticed that artists working in film and television swear by RCMA/Foundation Palettes, but artists working in Fashion/Print/Beauty/Bridal, prefer liquid foundations.

I mainly work in Fashion/Print and I can use the RCMA palettes no problem. (I also use the MUD foundation palettes, only because I went to their school. But, I recommend RCMA). The one problem I have with RCMA and MUD, Graftobian is that the foundations feel very heavy on the skin. I have used the thinner to make it into a sheer liquid, still feels heavy. They also crease! No matter how much powder, it will crease, so you're constantly baby sitting the foundation throughout the shoot.
For these reasons, if you're doing bridal makeup or makeup for events, I prefer liquid foundations. Everyone is used to a liquid foundation, it is more comfortable for the client. They don't crease and they last long. My favorites are MAC Studio Sculpt, Stila Stay All Day, MAKE UP FOR EVER HD. However, it is very pricey to get liquid foundations. Even with your 40% discount.

So, for now, I would just get the RCMA palette. It's a beautiful foundation, you get a variety of colors, you can use them as concealers, you can get full coverage to sheer coverage and it's the inexpensive option.

May 01 15 11:02 am Link