Forums > Photography Talk > Photo Booth

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I currently am able to do green screen (chroma key) shoots at events but I'm looking to do something a bit more like a self-contained, open environment, photo booth. I've researched these a little bit and it seems as though there aren't a lot of turnkey systems out there which don't cost a fortune and that many people just assemble their own. I already have a Mitsubishi Electric dye sub printer but I'm wondering if anyone has bought or assembled one of these before. There's a few software options for photo booths I am very much interested in but I don't know much about putting one together with a shell, touch-screen, DSLR, etc.

Has anyone actually put one of these together before and, if so, what components would you suggest?

May 12 15 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I have my own photo booth.  It is great to spread the word around.  We do photo booths different here in the philippines though.  We do custom layouts and make 4x6 prints with 4 pictures on it.  It is also much more fun to see the event from that point of view.   Im sure you will see lots of samples if you look up filipino photo booths on fb. 

I basically shoot with a d7000 with a 24mm lens and use nik remote software.  My printer is a kodak 305 but your mitsubishi  is also a great printer.  I just built my kit myself with a cheap monitor and my laptop.  I use a strobe on a battery for lighting. I also have lots of hats and wigs and party props for special occasions.    A little research should show you samples of how we do it in the philippines.  If you want to learn more just send me a message.

I think my photo booth rocks and I have two hot girls that man the booth. Very simple to do but yes you need to invest a little.  You already probably own the most expensive parts.  A camera laptop and high speed printer.

May 13 15 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I built mine from the ground up when I wanted to make a move way from shooting weddings but still provide services within that industry and really there's not too much to it - just need to figure out how you want to present it and the experience you want to give the users.

My build: Wheeled black aluminum/frosted perspex cabinet with linear actuator that wheel into place. Inside it DNP RX1 Dye Sub Printer, Canon 650D, HP 24" Touchsmart AIO Touchscreen PC, 2x 180W Godox strobes , 2 x 105w CFL bulbs, RGB LED strips. Software you can take your pick but I like DSLR remote for its simplicity.

May 13 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I've made good use of DSLR Remote Pro from Breeze Systems.
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/

That will handle most everything, including exposure, mapping touch screen buttons, and printing.  I also have a small app called SnugUp that monitors a folder and uploads each new picture automatically to SmugMug.

The advent of Live View has made this sort of thing exponentially easier.  You just have to make sure that your camera supports external flash during Live View (e.g. the Canon Rebel line does not, but the 40D and higher do).

May 13 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I built an art show around a "photo booth" a few years back,

https://www.chrismacan.com/gallery/id/IDopen.jpg

Framed the booth out in drywall and 2x3s,
and shot with an old 4 image Polaroid Laminex ID camera and type 669 film.

Totally impractical for anything other than a fixed location "gimmick" show.

May 13 15 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

At events where there were printers, I saw people shooting the printout with their phones for sharing.
Do you need a printer?
I was at an event where the images were instantly put up on a projector for everyone to see, it got the crowd involved.
They also Eye-fi'd them to an iPad where people could email the photos to themselves.

May 14 15 06:10 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've done the uploading to a screen.  I use Breeeze software.  A program called Nik Remote.  It is pretty easy.  I have my own screen projector and screen.  I think it is about a 2-4K purchase if you want to buy one.  I do SDE (same day edits)  for video and photo slide shows for weddings.

May 14 15 06:41 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

A friend [he is a DJ] has built many.
Not that hard to do, but you need plans [I think they are online] and 'must be handy'.

He bought his parts in 'the valley' and soon the shop he bought from had a page online 'How to build a photobooth'.

May 17 15 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
A friend [he is a DJ] has built many.
Not that hard to do, but you need plans [I think they are online] and 'must be handy'.

He bought his parts in 'the valley' and soon the shop he bought from had a page online 'How to build a photobooth'.

OK, well, can you please send me those plans or post them here? Thanks!

May 17 15 10:56 pm Link