Forums > Model Colloquy > Non-Nude Models who reply to Nude Castings

Photographer

Davian J

Sacramento, California, US

Question for you models: Do you read castings descriptions or do you just scroll and reply to every one you see with a dollar sign attached. It seems to be a reoccurring theme for models who clearly don't shoot nudes reply to my nude castings. But that is not what upsets me really... it's the attitude some models get when you point out that it is a nude shoot.
"Oh I don't shoot nudes! Didn't you read my profile"
"No... no I didn't. You replied to my casting."
"Well you should have read my profile"
"No you should have read my casting!"
Like seriously, why does this continue to happen?

Jul 16 15 03:51 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

interested

Jul 16 15 06:04 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

k

Jul 16 15 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Christian Lockewood

Houston, Texas, US

Regrettably,  I am not a model, but I avoid the issue altogether by thoughtfully networking with the models I want to shoot. I may miss the occasional diamond in the rough who who has marked her portfolio as "no" to nudes, but "gets motivated" because of compensation, but like all things in life it is a trade off.

Jul 16 15 06:24 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I read descriptions. I also tend to message to clarify things if the details in the casting aren't 100% clear, or to just generally ask for more details anyway. I don't want to walk into anything unexpected as much as any photographer wants to end up with a model that isn't collaborative for the project/shoot in mind.

Jul 16 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Davian J wrote:
Question for you models: Do you read castings descriptions or do you just scroll and reply to every one you see with a dollar sign attached. It seems to be a reoccurring theme for models who clearly don't shoot nudes reply to my nude castings. But that is not what upsets me really... it's the attitude some models get when you point out that it is a nude shoot.

It's not something that has ever happened to me.  Yes, models, like photographers, make mistakes, but they've always been very apologetic when the mistakes have been pointed out.

Jul 16 15 08:04 am Link

Photographer

DRAudette

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Davian J wrote:

Because there's a heck of a lot of seriously stupid people in the world. That's the long and the short of it.

About a year or so ago I had a model email me with a travel notice, saying she was traveling to my city soon and would like to work with me when she was in town. It happened that I was looking to book a model right around that time for a project that required a nude. In the email she provided a link to her MM profile. So, I go and check it out, and she has the 'shoots nudes? Yes' indication set on her profile. So, I write her back with a description of the project I was looking to book for, and ask if she'd be interested. She writes back and says she doesn't do nudes. ?? So, I write back to her and inform her that she seems to have overlooked that she has her MM profile set to indicate that she does shoot nudes, and she might want to change it. She responds and tells me that she's aware of how it's set, but she seems to get more inquiries from photogs by having it set that way, so that's how she leaves it?!?!?

...but, aren't you just getting more inquiries regarding proposals you have no interest in? And, aren't you just wasting a bunch of people's time, including, for at least the most part, your own?

I.. uh.. don't understand... I can't even... huhwhat?

Jul 16 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Perhaps you should put something like "PLEASE READ ENTIRE CASTING BEFORE REPLYING" at the very beginning.

Jul 16 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Davian J wrote:

You answered your own question. Some "models" on here rarely read anything. They just carpet-bomb every new casting call in hopes of being chosen and if they get someone willing to book them, they read the casting call afterward. After all, why should they be bothered to actually read a casting call when they have busier things to do like chat about what TMZ said about the Kardashians on facebooktwitterinstagramsnapchat?

Jul 16 15 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Deep Visions wrote:
Perhaps you should put something like "PLEASE READ ENTIRE CASTING BEFORE REPLYING" at the very beginning.

Like someone that doesn't read a casting call is going to read that.  Just need to accept that there are oblivions in the world.

Jul 16 15 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Davian J wrote:

Because you're on MM.

Jul 16 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Davian J wrote:

You really dont know ??
Or is this a rant and you have more windmills to take on ?

Jul 16 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Davian J wrote:

I looked at a casting you have open for a nude shoot and I noticed that it is a paid shoot.  A lot of models will reply simply because they saw that it says "paid".  They don't take the time to read the entire thing and check the requirements.  Always keep in mind that many of the people on this site are not professionals and they act accordingly.

There are also models that do nudes but have no nudes in their port and say "no nudes" in their profile.  I have had models like this respond to casting calls and when I asked them why they responded they said that they did not want it widely known that they did nudes and they preferred to pick who they would do nudes with rather than get a lot of requests from photographers they did not want to work with.

Jul 16 15 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Professor X

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I have had plenty of non nude models apply to nude castings and want to do the shoot clothed and still get paid. I finally gave up on mm castings lol

Jul 16 15 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

IllustrativeArts

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Welcome to Model Mayhem my friend smile

Jul 16 15 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Deep Visions wrote:

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile

Jul 16 15 09:46 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

It is a bit annoying and embarrassing XD.
Not only with nude-castings does it happen, but other concepts as well.
Recently, a casting call was added for my country with a title that said they were looking for dark skinned models (this wasn't repeated in the casting message itself though). Obviously, I didn't reply, because I am not dark-skinned, but I do read every casting call just out of interest.
Guess what color skin the models have who had replied? ...

Jul 16 15 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Observe the kind of response you get to MM casting
This links tells you all you need to know
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Jul 17 15 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Interested!

Jul 17 15 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Davian J

Sacramento, California, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
Interested!

lol that's even worst... and that's about as much personality they bring to the shoot

Jul 17 15 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

FWIW, I generally use the first shoot as a "get acquainted" opportunity, one in which both the model and I are able to try out several concepts and see where we fit as a team and to determine if we want to go further in any particular direction, whether nude or clothed.  I rarely shoot just nudes on a first shoot.

Even so, I always make it clear in the casting or preliminary message whether or not I intend to shoot nudes and whenever possible, I engage the model in discussion about the shoot (In person if possible, but if not at least in PMs) before getting to the actual booking.  It takes a little time, but I find that it avoids a lot of misunderstandings later on.  Similarly, I never rely on what a model says in her profile. (It's an advertisement, after all) and as a result I've had "Paid Only" models shoot TF, "No Nudes" models shoot nudes, and models whose portfolios are mainly nudes turn down concepts because they were too risque or not sexy enough.

It's always best to rely on the assumption that "It's a lady's prerogative to change her mind."

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jul 18 15 08:16 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Observe the kind of response you get to MM casting
This links tells you all you need to know
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Too bad it was locked.  I'd jump in.

Jul 18 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Dexellery Photo

Redondo Beach, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
FWIW, I generally use the first shoot as a "get acquainted" opportunity, one in which both the model and I are able to try out several concepts and see where we fit as a team and to determine if we want to go further in any particular direction, whether nude or clothed.  I rarely shoot just nudes on a first shoot.

Even so, I always make it clear in the casting or preliminary message whether or not I intend to shoot nudes and whenever possible, I engage the model in discussion about the shoot (In person if possible, but if not at least in PMs) before getting to the actual booking.  It takes a little time, but I find that it avoids a lot of misunderstandings later on.  Similarly, I never rely on what a model says in her profile. (It's an advertisement, after all) and as a result I've had "Paid Only" models shoot TF, "No Nudes" models shoot nudes, and models whose portfolios are mainly nudes turn down concepts because they were too risque or not sexy enough.

It's always best to rely on the assumption that "It's a lady's prerogative to change her mind."

All IMHO as always, of course.

This is the gospel.  It is all their choice and it is all about communication & comfort level in advance.  Better to know someone's limits and respect them, but you can't know unless you ask.  Not asking is always a "no."

As for them replying or counter-offering you something completely opposite of your casting... that's their prerogative.  It's you choice whether or not to entertain it.  If not, just move on.  It's not only MM... this happens professionally all the time as well.  Nothing personal... just move on until you find the right person to work with who is fine with your concept and also benefits from it.

Jul 18 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Layla_B wrote:
It is a bit annoying and embarrassing XD.
Not only with nude-castings does it happen, but other concepts as well.
Recently, a casting call was added for my country with a title that said they were looking for dark skinned models (this wasn't repeated in the casting message itself though). Obviously, I didn't reply, because I am not dark-skinned, but I do read every casting call just out of interest.
Guess what color skin the models have who had replied? ...

Maybe you could respond to such castings with something like "I understand that I may not be what you are looking for for this project as I am light skinned, but please consider me for any other projects that you may have."

That would put you on his radar without coming off as an idiot who doesn't read.

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Too bad it was locked.  I'd jump in.

It was from 2006.  If it wasn't a tongue in cheek posting in the first place, the film has long since either taken place or derailed due to lack of suckers, er, I mean actors.

Jul 18 15 04:28 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
It was from 2006.  If it wasn't a tongue in cheek posting in the first place, the film has long since either taken place or derailed due to lack of suckers, er, I mean actors.

I am aware.  It would be hundreds of pages long by now.  It would have remained a good instructional thread to this day.

Jul 18 15 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Asfari

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Similarly, I don't understand a model posting a casting call saying "I don't shoot nudes or T&A" and then have a portfolio half-filled with nude images. SMH.

Jul 19 15 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

Mike Alanine wrote:
Similarly, I don't understand a model posting a casting call saying "I don't shoot nudes or T&A" and then have a portfolio half-filled with nude images. SMH.

yes, I love that phrase "I don't do nudes" when obviously they have.................W

Jul 20 15 02:02 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Davian J wrote:

You'll be better off messaging models that have put up travel/availability notices

Many of their profiles state they don't shoot nude, but their availability notice says they do shoot nude, during the specific dates of the availability notice.

There are a couple reasons for this, one relevant one being that models can get a lot of stupid messages if they put that they shoot nude in their profile.

Jul 21 15 03:42 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Deep Visions wrote:

Perhaps you should not start a conversation by yelling at your counterpart...

Jul 21 15 04:28 am Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Actually, I read the full castings, I find it unprofessional not to do so. However, if I see some requirement I don't exactly fit, but I fit the rest, I'll apply anyways and maybe the photographer likes my profile. In my message I state it, so s/he knows I don't apply castings blindly.

Jul 21 15 05:40 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Models with dozens of explicit nude pictures in their portfolio check "Nudes - NO". Models with "Nudes - NO" in their profile check "Nudes - YES" in travel notices. Ore vice versa. Models who check "NUDES - YES" in their profiles tell "I do not shoot nudes - don't even ask!!!" in their profile texts...

Our world is crowded with functional or complete illiterates and with people who cannot think straight ahead... So you better discuss and negotiate things explicitely case-by-case.

(And nevertheless probably one day a model will come up and tell you "My Grandma died last week - so I cannot shoot nudes now!"...)

Jul 21 15 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Simple..........there are few serious models on here. That much is absolutely CLEAR!

Jul 21 15 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

RockaShot

New York, New York, US

What is apparent with nude photography with models is that "Do you shoot nudes" is not a yes or no question. I contacted a model about doing a nudes shoot. She marked in her profile that she does shoot nudes. However she replied to my request by saying that she does not do nudes during her first shoot with a photographer.

I have contacted models with nude pics in their ports who say they are not presently doing nudes. I just say thanks anyway and move on.

I try to put myself in their shoes and imagine what it must be like to be a female meeting a strange guy for the first time and being naked in front of him while he takes photos. Most of us out here walk the fine line between pro and amateur, and we all need to be cut some slack now and then.

All in all there are many great models on MM, and I've never had a bad shoot with a MM model.

I find that if we can all excuse each other's occasional mistakes and inconsistencies, we'll all wind up with some great shots and lasting working relationships at the end of the day.

Jul 23 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

TomFRohwer wrote:
Models with dozens of explicit nude pictures in their portfolio check "Nudes - NO". Models with "Nudes - NO" in their profile check "Nudes - YES" in travel notices. Ore vice versa. Models who check "NUDES - YES" in their profiles tell "I do not shoot nudes - don't even ask!!!" in their profile texts...

Our world is crowded with functional or complete illiterates and with people who cannot think straight ahead... So you better discuss and negotiate things explicitely case-by-case.

(And nevertheless probably one day a model will come up and tell you "My Grandma died last week - so I cannot shoot nudes now!"...)

Sorry but...

This is funny.

Jul 23 15 05:23 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jul 24 15 06:17 am Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Figuremodel001 wrote:

Maybe they intend to be nude under the clothing involved. They think that's implied!

Jul 24 15 06:18 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

RockaShot wrote:
What is apparent with nude photography with models is that "Do you shoot nudes" is not a yes or no question. I contacted a model about doing a nudes shoot. She marked in her profile that she does shoot nudes. However she replied to my request by saying that she does not do nudes during her first shoot with a photographer.

I have contacted models with nude pics in their ports who say they are not presently doing nudes. I just say thanks anyway and move on.

I try to put myself in their shoes and imagine what it must be like to be a female meeting a strange guy for the first time and being naked in front of him while he takes photos. Most of us out here walk the fine line between pro and amateur, and we all need to be cut some slack now and then.

All in all there are many great models on MM, and I've never had a bad shoot with a MM model.

I find that if we can all excuse each other's occasional mistakes and inconsistencies, we'll all wind up with some great shots and lasting working relationships at the end of the day.

Well stated!

Jul 31 15 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

RockaShot wrote:

How many MM models have you worked with ?

Jul 31 15 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

barepixels wrote:
interested

LOL!

Jul 31 15 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

It's not just "nudes" that get ignored in castings (and not just on MM).  I had a model cancel on me yesterday as they decided that the drive to my studio was too far and wanted gas money (enough for a couple of tanks worth, even though I'm only 30 miles away).  When I kindly pointed out that my location was clearly stated (twice) in the casting (that she expressed interest in) and that I thought the extra monetary request was a bit over the top, she then cancelled stating car trouble (and made no mention or request to rebook).

Jul 31 15 06:42 pm Link