Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > So, is the Apple watch still a thing?

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Apple Refuses to release the data of how many watches have been sold.  There be some educated guesses....2-5 Million.

I would venture to say...that with Apple..it is best to wait until the 3rd Generation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … u4msCCBaoA

I agree, I think it'll take a couple generations to iron out the quirks and get rolling in the market, as with any product.

I never rely on Sales Charts to see who's doing better, I rely on my eyes and what I see the public using around me in the city. THAT usually tells me who's hot and who's not.

Jul 20 15 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Art Silva wrote:
I agree, I think it'll take a couple generations to iron out the quirks and get rolling in the market, as with any product.

I never rely on Sales Charts to see who's doing better, I rely on my eyes and what I see the public using around me in the city. THAT usually tells me who's hot and who's not.

What Apple needs to do...is make the Apple Watch ...where it is Not Dependent on other Apple Products to get it going. The Battery Time to charge is a long process...fix that, Camera? That is the most wanted from the Apple Fan Base...I guess that is coming in the 3rd Generation.   To me..since I do not wear watches...I would never buy. And plus...350 -10 Grand is too expensive for this product.   I will wait until Apple produces the Watch that came flame throw  and beam me up. lol

Jul 20 15 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

OMG does the Apple Watch have a camera seriously? Why?

Why can't we get a proper wrist phone?

Jul 31 15 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John Photography wrote:
OMG does the Apple Watch have a camera seriously?

No, it doesn't.

(though some people complain about that fact)

Aug 01 15 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Wye wrote:

Except I'm capable of realizing that something I'm not interested in can still be interesting and useful to others.

Some people think that if they don't want or have use for something then anyone who does want it must have been brainwashed into getting it.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad and just bought a MacBook Air.  And while I like the products I'm neither brainwashed nor a fanboy.  (BTW, I realize you are being sarcastic about needing to be brainwashed--but many others aren't being sarcastic...).

The first Apple product I bought was the MacBook Pro.  I got it at the recommendation of a friend.  We do the same kind of work and I was mentioning needing to buy another PC laptop.  She suggested a Mac.  I pointed out the extra cost.  She pointed out the lack of the need for tech support--which I had been complaining about for my PC.

So I bought one.  In the 4 years I had my MBP, I used tech support once--to help me install some software.  But I never needed to call about an issue.  I was on the phone with PC tech support 4 to 6 times a year... 

I'm not a tech person.  I don't need (or know how to or have any interest in) to change any machine code or whatever people do to their PCs.  I want a computer I can use out of the box and have the interface work and be relatively intuitive. 

I like how it syncs all of my apps--especially my calendars.  As a freelancer, I have a few long-term gigs, where I have an email address at my client's office and am connected to their calendar system.  Maybe the PC environment can do this too, but when I put something on a client calendar, it syncs with my iCalendar in like 2 seconds. 

The thing I like the most about my Apple products is that they just work all the time.  And now they all work together.  I'd always been behind 3 or 4 OSs due to some specialized software I use for work.  But now that software works with Yosemite so I get the full benefits of that OS. 

Anyway, as a non-computer hacker, Apple products are great for me.

Aug 01 15 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm happy people in this thread are satisfied Apple customers.   Anybody own a Macbook Pro 2011?   http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/28/apple-cla … cs-issues/   Hopefully you don't have a problem with the GPU.   This wouldn't be so infuriating for a laptop that cost $500.00 but mine sure didn't.   Unlike many of you I don't have $2,500.00 to throw around.   This may help some who may be confused over my irritation with Apple.   The iWatch may be the bees knees but first generation buyers are beta testers in my view.   Apple sells a premium product according to Apple.   They charge premium prices for sure.

That's fair but what isn't is issues like the GPU and cracks in the cases that just happen and batteries that swell and affect the mouse click.   Charge higher prices then the competition then give a better product and back up that product without having to force consumers to sue.

Aug 01 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
What Apple needs to do...is make the Apple Watch ...where it is Not Dependent on other Apple Products to get it going. The Battery Time to charge is a long process...fix that, Camera? That is the most wanted from the Apple Fan Base...I guess that is coming in the 3rd Generation.   To me..since I do not wear watches...I would never buy. And plus...350 -10 Grand is too expensive for this product.   I will wait until Apple produces the Watch that came flame throw  and beam me up. lol

Now you're getting into scaled technology that is not yet available. As it stands now all the communicating power is relied on the iPhone through available bluetooth technology. A watch right now can not handle the same volume, quality and speed on its own that an iPhone can because of the hardware size, otherwise you would have to wear a watch at least the size of the iPhone 4s.
We have a long ways before nano technology can be commercially available like that.

In the mean time, Baby Steps. Every generation inspires the next if we show interest.

Aug 01 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm happy people in this thread are satisfied Apple customers.   Anybody own a Macbook Pro 2011?   http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/28/apple-cla … cs-issues/   Hopefully you don't have a problem with the GPU.   This wouldn't be so infuriating for a laptop that cost $500.00 but mine sure didn't.   Unlike many of you I don't have $2,500.00 to throw around.   This may help some who may be confused over my irritation with Apple.   The iWatch may be the bees knees but first generation buyers are beta testers in my view.   Apple sells a premium product according to Apple.   They charge premium prices for sure.

That's fair but what isn't is issues like the GPU and cracks in the cases that just happen and batteries that swell and affect the mouse click.   Charge higher prices then the competition then give a better product and back up that product without having to force consumers to sue.

Shit happens.

The question is does this shit happen more or less with Apple products.

Guess what. It happens less.

Anyone who expects to have zero faults with anything (regardless of price paid) is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

To the tiny percentage of people that these sorts of problems affect it may seem like the end of the world. To the vast majority of people for whom the devices work well enough to keep them satisfied everything is peachy. That's how the world works.

I paid almost $90,000 for a car whose convertible roof has continual problems. Others have major engine and transmission problems. Others have a variety of mechanical problems. People complain loud and often on a variety of websites and forums. None of that means that the vast majority of owners (including myself) arent incredibly satisfied with their purchases. It just means that nothing is perfect. Nothing will ever work all the time perfectly. Not every device from the same manufacturer will work flawlessly. Why people think that they will is beyond me.

C'est la vie.

Aug 01 15 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wye wrote:

Shit happens.

The question is does this shit happen more or less with Apple products.

Guess what. It happens less.

Anyone who expects to have zero faults with anything (regardless of price paid) is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

To the tiny percentage of people that these sorts of problems affect it may seem like the end of the world. To the vast majority of people for whom the devices work well enough to keep them satisfied everything is peachy. That's how the world works.

I paid almost $90,000 for a car whose convertible roof has continual problems. Others have major engine and transmission problems. Others have a variety of mechanical problems. People complain loud and often on a variety of websites and forums. None of that means that the vast majority of owners (including myself) arent incredibly satisfied with their purchases. It just means that nothing is perfect. Nothing will ever work all the time perfectly. Not every device from the same manufacturer will work flawlessly. Why people think that they will is beyond me.

C'est la vie.

C'est la vie.   I wish I could be as casual.   I don't have thousands to waste and other dopes, lots of 'em are in my shoes.   I'll get that memo out.   Wye on MM says because you're in the tiny minority of users with problems its just how things work.   I belong to several Apple forums and boy it doesn't seem those who have issues are tiny in number.   Its been large enough to be mentioned on the front page of Yahoo as well as several tech magazines and its come to the point where folks have gone through the trouble to sue.   This isn't to say that other makers haven't had issues.   Lenovo had a recall on batteries for example.

However, I dare say many if not most people couldn't afford a $90,000 car.   Oops... I see you didn't buy it but could afford to.   Must be nice.   Thanks for sharing.   C'est la vie ain't you fancy with your French and all.   I know a little bit but I won't use it.   This being a polite conversation and all.

Aug 02 15 02:06 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I think until the smartwatch fail to achieve a sufficient autonomy, while keeping prices comparable to other quartz clocks, aren't really ready.

Aug 02 15 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:

C'est la vie.   I wish I could be as casual.   I don't have thousands to waste and other dopes, lots of 'em are in my shoes.   I'll get that memo out.   Wye on MM says because you're in the tiny minority of users with problems its just how things work.   I belong to several Apple forums and boy it doesn't seem those who have issues are tiny in number.   Its been large enough to be mentioned on the front page of Yahoo as well as several tech magazines and its come to the point where folks have gone through the trouble to sue.   This isn't to say that other makers haven't had issues.   Lenovo had a recall on batteries for example.

However, I dare say many if not most people couldn't afford a $90,000 car.   Oops... I see you didn't buy it but could afford to.   Must be nice.   Thanks for sharing.   C'est la vie ain't you fancy with your French and all.   I know a little bit but I won't use it.   This being a polite conversation and all.

my point being that yes things go wrong and it sucks when they do. But just because you paid a lot for something doesn't mean it's going to be problem free. And just because you have a problem (and a bunch of others do too) doesn't mean that the overall quality and reliability of a product (across all owners) is low. You seem to assume that the problems you read about on forums are widespread. Everyone knows that people rarely post on support forums to say things are working great. You have had problems with Apple devices. Sorry to hear it, truly. But to say that there are a bunch of people complaining about this or that issue means that Apple Shouldn't charge a premium for their devices because they're so faulty is silly. You're certainly within your rights to be annoyed about a faulty big purchase. But your troubles aren't everyone's troubles. And the troubles of a few hundred or a few thousand Or even a few tens of thousands of users aren't representative of the tens of millions of people who buy them every year.  Selection bias is a powerful thing.

Should their devices work every time all the time? Sure. That would be fantastic. They should certainly try to make that so. Sadly I'd be surprised if that ever happened in the history of manufacturing. Frankly I'd be surprised if it ever would (for any product)

Aug 02 15 06:51 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

The problem is, who wears watches anymore?  I haven't worn one since I got my first cell phone - maybe 15 years ago.  I see a few joggers using those Fitbit type heart/pulse monitoring watches as they run in the park.  At church, weddings, business meetings or clubs, you see folks wearing expensive watches such as Rolex and other "bling" brands, but not in day to day situations.  I work for a dance company and all the dancers are college age to mid 30s.  Almost all of them could not wait to get the large screen iPhone when it came out (or one of the large screen Android phones), but not one of them has expressed interest in the Apple watch.  Interestingly enough, most of the folks with the larger iPhone used it to replace their laptops and home computers too.

Personally, I find the Apple watch clunky looking and ugly.  In order to make it really useful, it would have to be much bigger, more like the wrist radio in the Dick Tracy comics - a smart phone that wraps around your wrist - but would anyone want to wear one?

Aug 02 15 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wye wrote:

my point being that yes things go wrong and it sucks when they do. But just because you paid a lot for something doesn't mean it's going to be problem free. And just because you have a problem (and a bunch of others do too) doesn't mean that the overall quality and reliability of a product (across all owners) is low. You seem to assume that the problems you read about on forums are widespread. Everyone knows that people rarely post on support forums to say things are working great. You have had problems with Apple devices. Sorry to hear it, truly. But to say that there are a bunch of people complaining about this or that issue means that Apple Shouldn't charge a premium for their devices because they're so faulty is silly. You're certainly within your rights to be annoyed about a faulty big purchase. But your troubles aren't everyone's troubles. And the troubles of a few hundred or a few thousand Or even a few tens of thousands of users aren't representative of the tens of millions of people who buy them every year.  Selection bias is a powerful thing.

Should their devices work every time all the time? Sure. That would be fantastic. They should certainly try to make that so. Sadly I'd be surprised if that ever happened in the history of manufacturing. Frankly I'd be surprised if it ever would (for any product)

Whew, I'm glad you didn't use any French.   I get that sometimes products fail no matter their cost but a few things trouble me.   If you charge a premium price and pride your company on customer service then take care of those customers when and if their are problems especially what seems to be wide spread issues.   The GPU issue is well known.   I rarely go into a Apple store yet both times last year I heard irritated people discussing the problem with the Macbook Pro.   I don't own a iPhone yet years past one model had a problem connecting and Apple blamed users.   Now the new Macbook has a issue where people are told to wait 30 minutes for boot up.   http://www.imore.com/apple-posts-workar … ring-setup

To me this is crap.   These aren't $500.00 bargain machines.   This is base price a $1,300.00 laptop.   Bottom line, fix the problem without forcing customers to sue especially if it is a widespread problem.   The new iWatch has some problems.   Fix or replace problematic units.    I don't expect perfection but if I wanted something that kinda works and a problem means little to no help I'd buy a Acer cheapie.

Aug 02 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Whew, I'm glad you didn't use any French.   I get that sometimes products fail no matter their cost but a few things trouble me.   If you charge a premium price and pride your company on customer service then take care of those customers when and if their are problems especially what seems to be wide spread issues.   The GPU issue is well known.   I rarely go into a Apple store yet both times last year I heard irritated people discussing the problem with the Macbook Pro.   I don't own a iPhone yet years past one model had a problem connecting and Apple blamed users.   Now the new Macbook has a issue where people are told to wait 30 minutes for boot up.   http://www.imore.com/apple-posts-workar … ring-setup

See? This is *exactly* what bugs me about posts like this.  You say "Now the new Macbook has a issue where people are told to wait 30 minutes for boot up."

But that is a *complete* misrepresentation of the facts.

They are not being told to wait 30 minutes for boot up.. in fact the problem has nothing to do with booting up the computer. This is a specific problem that happens only on setup.  And the support document specifically says that *if you don't want to wait this extra time after you setup the machine* just do the setup without connecting to the internet.

Your post makes it sound like it takes 30 minutes to boot up the computer and people are just told "too bad.. wait".   Half truths (barely half) are the currency of the day as usual.

Did you read the article you linked to or did you just see that there was a problem and read "30 minute delay" and just link it?

To me this is crap.

Indeed it would be crap if it actually happened the way you said it did.  But as it turns out.. it didn't.  It's just a minor one time inconvenience that can be bypassed entirely.

Again (and again) the real fact of the matter is that the *vast* majority of these computers work perfectly out of the box and never have a major problem and *by far* most users are satisfied with their purchases and with the company -- far more than any other maker.

Aug 02 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wye wrote:

See? This is *exactly* what bugs me about posts like this.  You say "Now the new Macbook has a issue where people are told to wait 30 minutes for boot up."

But that is a *complete* misrepresentation of the facts.

They are not being told to wait 30 minutes for boot up.. in fact the problem has nothing to do with booting up the computer. This is a specific problem that happens only on setup.  And the support document specifically says that *if you don't want to wait this extra time after you setup the machine* just do the setup without connecting to the internet.

Your post makes it sound like it takes 30 minutes to boot up the computer and people are just told "too bad.. wait".   Half truths (barely half) are the currency of the day as usual.

Did you read the article you linked to or did you just see that there was a problem and read "30 minute delay" and just link it?

Indeed it would be crap if it actually happened the way you said it did.  But as it turns out.. it didn't.  It's just a minor one time inconvenience that can be bypassed entirely.

Again (and again) the real fact of the matter is that the *vast* majority of these computers work perfectly out of the box and never have a major problem and *by far* most users are satisfied with their purchases and with the company -- far more than any other maker.

Aug 02 15 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I believe I gave a link that readers could visit as well.   Did I not?   Have I ever said Apple doesn't have excellent products.   I've said on many occasions that they also offer great customer service and is a computer every photographer should consider owning.  However I have also offered my negative experiences.   Is that not allowed.   Are my experiences and the experiences of others not valued because you love Apple.   Personally I think Apple overcharges and under delivers especially over the last five years.   They have made their laptops almost impossible for users to upgrade.   When I wanted to add ram to a older White Macbook the ram Apple had was $40.00 more then the company that actually made the ram.   (Crucial)   I think that's gouging.   

Charge premium prices then make sure that problems are fixed with little fuss.   No laptop should force customers to wait 30 minutes to boot.   http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/17/os-x-yos … ion-stuck/   Not cool for a premium laptop.   I'm not saying that Macbooks or iWatch or iPhones are not good to buy.   I am saying that over the last several years Apple seems to charge more yet offer less.   Build quality has dropped off.   Features they offered that made their devices great were removed and even the new Macbook has no SD slot  a 480p webcam along with a M processor.   A netbook for $1,300.00.   The new iWatch is on par with the Moto which is over $100.00 less.

As for customer satisfaction.   Sometimes people feel something they paid a lot of money for outperforms something they didn't.   I would challenge the average user to show a real difference in a Macbook with 8gb ram which might cost $500.00 then a Windows PC with 8gb ram.   Both with SSD.   Same processor.   Other then the OS I bet they couldn't but because they paid more for the Macbook might 'FEEL' its better.

Aug 02 15 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Diamond Bar, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Sometimes people feel something they paid a lot of money for outperforms something they didn't.   I would challenge the average user to show a real difference in a Macbook with 8gb ram which might cost $500.00 then a Windows PC with 8gb ram.   Both with SSD.   Same processor.   Other then the OS I bet they couldn't but because they paid more for the Macbook might 'FEEL' its better.

Sometimes.

And sometimes there is an objective difference.

Some people are perfectly happy with a $5.00  mouse. Others spend $300+.
Some people are perfectly happy with a $10.00  keyboard. Others spend $200+ for a keyboard with the same available keys.
Some people are perfectly happy with a $130.00 24" monitor. Others spend $2000+ for a same-sized display with the same number of pixels.
Some people are perfectly happy with a moderate-weight laptop; others aren't happy unless it's as light as possible; still other want something rugged even if it's heavier--even if the processor, ram, ssd, etc are all the same.

Yes, people can rationalize that their purchase was 'better' when there's no difference. They can also rationally choose a product that serves their needs better. Sometimes that costs more; sometimes it doesn't.

For a gadget/tool that's going to be worn--this thread is about a watch, after all--preferences are likely to be even stronger. Especially as the market for 'smart' watches is so new, and the products themselves are highly differentiated.

Aug 02 15 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I would challenge the average user to show a real difference in a Macbook with 8gb ram which might cost $500.00 then a Windows PC with 8gb ram.   Both with SSD.   Same processor.   Other then the OS I bet they couldn't but because they paid more for the Macbook might 'FEEL' its better.

It's the OS.... and customer service and support.

Aug 02 15 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I would challenge the average user to show a real difference in a Macbook with 8gb ram which might cost $500.00 then a Windows PC with 8gb ram.   Both with SSD.   Same processor.   Other then the OS I bet they couldn't but because they paid more for the Macbook might 'FEEL' its better.

It would be worth it to me to not have to run Windows. I end up using Windows at work, it gets the job done but I find it tedious and unwieldy. My favorite Windows story is the time the keyboard stopped working. A prompt came on the screen advising me that the keyboard was not working and that I should type in a line of text and hit enter.

Beautiful, on my non-working keyboard I am supposed to type? Not sure if that was a bad joke or just stupidity? I did a hard reboot (pulled the power cord) and it "healed" itself.

As to service, I have never had to use it. I have owned Macs since 1996, had one hard drive failure after 8 years of hard use. My sister in law had a Macbook Pro that had a graphics card glitch and was just out of warranty. She contacted Apple and they advised her to send the computer back to Apple. She did so and a week later a brand new computer arrived.

Terrible customer service, right?

Tony, you have been passive aggressively whining about Apple products for a long time now. Did you ever call them all friendly like and work your way up the chain of command a step or two? Have you given them a chance to take care of you?

Have you EVER tried to call Microsoft? You would still be on the phone with them trying to figure out what the hell runaround they were giving you.

Aug 02 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

It may not be a thing but it does blend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8sxwK2pJI4

Aug 07 15 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

15 weeks from "make a reservation with a sales rep"   to   "let's dump these things at Best Buy".

http://www.gulflive.com/news/index.ssf/ … _2015.html
"Apple recommends that you make a reservation to see a sales representative. "
"Your watch will get shipped to you. There won't be an in-store pick-up option."

"starting Friday, Apple stores will have staff trained to help you choose. You'll then have to place your order for shipping starting April 24. Even after that date, there's no walking in and walking out with a watch."

"iwatch"   Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage. … ;st=iwatch

and ebay clearance dealers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Apple … 1715632618

July 8
http://nypost.com/2015/07/08/apple-watc … lling-use/
"The most alarming data came this week from Slice Research, which picked through consumers’ online receipts to come to the determination that there has been a 90 percent decline in sales since the watch’s opening week in April."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJyMEkb_8to

Apple (AAPL) Watch Interest Lackluster, UBS Research Shows
http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Apple+(AAPL)+Watch+Interest+Lackluster,+UBS+Research+Shows/10801896.html

Aug 08 15 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Franklin

San Antonio, Texas, US

The Apple commercials make it seem like it's the shit though! lol

Aug 11 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I'm planning on getting this one:

https://www.oliodevices.com/collection-black.php

I love watches!