Forums > General Industry > TFP Rules - a question

Photographer

Amani Images

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

When I contact a model for a shoot and they tell me that they can only shoot with me if I pay them, I fully respect that however I also make the following assumptions:

- the model is not really interested in adding my work/style/concept to their portfolio
- as such, the model will not be expecting edits from the shoot therefore it is up to me and me only which shots I edit and if I share them with the model
- the model will not reach out to me after the shoot asking for photos from the shoot
- I should be able to charge the model for any photos that they want edited from the shoot

Are these correct/fair assumptions to make?

Aug 20 15 04:18 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

You should never assume anything. Communication is important.

Aug 20 15 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Isis22 wrote:

+1

Aug 20 15 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Yes. While models may "expect" things beyond what you describe, the model is only entitled to the compensation agreed to, and normally, cash payments are the only form of compensation, when paying cash.

Aug 20 15 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

The first rule is that there are no rules.  Therefore, clearly communicate with the model BEFORE the shoot in order to manage expectations.

Aug 20 15 04:42 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

just be sure to stipulate everything in writing so there is no confussion later.

Aug 20 15 05:06 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Amani Images wrote:
When I contact a model for a shoot and they tell me that they can only shoot with me if I pay them, I fully respect that however I also make the following assumptions:

- the model is not really interested in adding my work/style/concept to their portfolio
- as such, the model will not be expecting edits from the shoot therefore it is up to me and me only which shots I edit and if I share them with the model
- the model will not reach out to me after the shoot asking for photos from the shoot
- I should be able to charge the model for any photos that they want edited from the shoot

Depends on what sort of reputation you want to develop with local models, doesn't it?

Aug 20 15 05:26 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

There are no "official" rules.  It all comes down to whatever the individuals involved in a given situation agree to.  You should put it in writing, so there are no misunderstandings afterward.

If I am being paid, I expect nothing at all other than cash in hand. But there are some photographers and artists who will give a model more than that, typically a few of the edits that they can use in their portfolio, or in the case of artwork, sometimes they will throw in a drawing or sketch as well.

Aug 20 15 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

There are only 2 certain assumptions in that scenario:

1) The model wants $$$ more than your photos
2) Everything else is negotiable

Don't assume anything.  Make an offer with detailed compensation.  If the model accepts-do that.

Aug 20 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Amani Images wrote:

Let's start with the thread title:  TFP Rules - a question:  There are no rules; there is no such thing as a "standard" TFP agreement.  There are only assumptions, and these need to be communicated clearly before the parties agree to work together.

That being said, there is nothing inappropriate with your assumptions.  Discuss this with your potential models.

Note, however, that some models will consider a reduced modeling fee in exchange for some images -- make sure they both of you are on the same page.

Aug 20 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I work on a simple principle.

If I pay you, that is all you get.

Aug 20 15 07:21 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Amani Images wrote:

This is correct.
They want dollars, not photos.
She may expect edits but is not entitled to any.
She may reach out but she is not entitled to any.
Yes, you can charge for prints.

Hiring a model is a simple transaction. You have something that you want to shoot, you find a model, you hire her. You pay her for her time and after the shoot, you both go your separate ways with no further obligation.

Aug 20 15 10:35 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Remember that this is a business for the model.  Photos do not pay the rent and are not accepted in lieu of cash at most retail establishments.  It isn't a personal thing.  You get to decide how you want to run your business.  How to entice models to work with you with a combination of cash, trade, or goods worthy of consideration.  Maybe you have a car to trade? 

When doing TF, it is also important to know there are no rules on the delivery of the promised photographs.  Consider this when trying to arrange a TF shoot.  Many models will wait months before receiving the promised pictures, and many more have experienced never getting the promised pictures.  And they have experienced it many times.  And all we can do is feel sorry for them.  Consequently, it is better for models to be paid in cash and hire the photographer from whom they want to obtain photographs.

Several people have told you communication is key.  So is your reputation.   Build the reputation of the person you are, or want to be perceived as, and TF gets much easier if your reputation for excellent work, delivered on time is achieved.  Therefore, it can be in your interest to pay a model and promise a bonus of a shot or two or three and then deliver as promised.

hienvy

Aug 20 15 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Photographic Adventures wrote:
The first rule is that there are no rules.  Therefore, clearly communicate with the model BEFORE the shoot in order to manage expectations.

"Rules?  I don't need no stinking rules!"

"You know what they say about those who make assumptions!"

Aug 20 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Amani Images wrote:

When I've paid a model, the terms (in the model's head, before discussion) range from them expecting to be paid and nothing else, to getting paid and receiving every single image for their own use, inspection, their own retouching, etc.

Communication is more important than wearing a bulletproof vest to a family reunion in New Jersey.

tongue

Aug 20 15 11:16 am Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

OP.  I don't often do TF, but when I do, the photographer has a particular style that I want in my portfolio.  Otherwise, I will only shoot for pay.  Photographers hire me because they want what I have to offer in their books.  It's not necessary, and I never ask for it.  But I AM interested in the work we did together, and I would like to see photos. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to share what you have and create a really positive experience?  When a model has a friend who is wanting to get into modeling too, but she needs a portfolio started, who is the model going to refer her friend to?  The photographer who hired her and shared great photos?  Or the photographer who hired her and she never saw anything from? THAT does not inspire confidence. 

Herman Surkis wrote:
I work on a simple principle.

If I pay you, that is all you get.

I can't tell you how short sighted this thought process is.

Let me explain.  I am moving away from modeling and starting a company.  I designed three collections of luxury lingerie and I will have to get them photographed (three top agency models, here is the location... http://www.portlandmaine.com/wp-content … 2010-3.jpg).  Most likely, I am going to draw from positive experiences I have had.  There is NO way I would consider a photographer who's photos of me I never saw.  For two reasons:  1. I don't know if I like the photos he took of me.  2.  I am not assured that he would actually deliver the photos afterwards, considering his history. 
Consider it an investment, not only one that adds to your portfolio, but also a valuable contact who wants to see you succeed.  Word of mouth is powerful marketing.  Good or bad, it will have an effect on your business.

Aug 20 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you have unwritten rules that the model isn't aware of that could cause problems. but on the flip side too much upfront discussion can cause trouble, too.

this topic seems to come up a lot. apparently some TF models are now expecting both money and images.

Aug 20 15 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Amani Images wrote:

They are certainly fair assumptions.  However they may not always be correct, many models will want to be paid and still expect photo's.  Having said that it tends to be inexperienced models that have that expectation and not professional or experienced models.

Aug 20 15 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Amani Images wrote:

Yup. But like Samuel Jackson said - "When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption."
There's a lot of umption on MM. Just get the terms straight up front.

Aug 21 15 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Blaire_ wrote:
OP.  I don't often do TF, but when I do, the photographer has a particular style that I want in my portfolio.  Otherwise, I will only shoot for pay.  Photographers hire me because they want what I have to offer in their books.  It's not necessary, and I never ask for it.  But I AM interested in the work we did together, and I would like to see photos. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to share what you have and create a really positive experience?  When a model has a friend who is wanting to get into modeling too, but she needs a portfolio started, who is the model going to refer her friend to?  The photographer who hired her and shared great photos?  Or the photographer who hired her and she never saw anything from? THAT does not inspire confidence. 

I can't tell you how short sighted this thought process is.

Let me explain.  I am moving away from modeling and starting a company.  I designed three collections of luxury lingerie and I will have to get them photographed (three top agency models, here is the location... http://www.portlandmaine.com/wp-content … 2010-3.jpg).  Most likely, I am going to draw from positive experiences I have had.  There is NO way I would consider a photographer who's photos of me I never saw.  For two reasons:  1. I don't know if I like the photos he took of me.  2.  I am not assured that he would actually deliver the photos afterwards, considering his history. 
Consider it an investment, not only one that adds to your portfolio, but also a valuable contact who wants to see you succeed.  Word of mouth is powerful marketing.  Good or bad, it will have an effect on your business.

Many photographers would consider that a negative experience since the purpose for them of hiring a model is to remove the need to deliver images.

Aug 21 15 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Amani Images wrote:

These are all fair assumptions to make, but don't you think it would be a better idea to offer some images up front as part of initial negotiations?
I'm pretty sure the reason some models still expect payment along with complimentary images is because all too many photographers undervalue their work.
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally up for TFP with the right talent and also negotiating images in with paid work, but there's no way this little black duck is getting ripped. I mean if I do a shoot for a model and she's paying my rates, I don't go around expecting her images on top of the deal.

Aug 21 15 03:25 am Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Darren Brade wrote:
Many photographers would consider that a negative experience since the purpose for them of hiring a model is to remove the need to deliver images.

You are missing my point entirely.  I didn't say 'need'.  Professional models (which is who I assume you work with) don't need photos.  They have plenty.  I'm saying, while you're at it, when you finish a few, you might as well pop two or three in an email and turn your model into a business ally.  I don't mind when a photographer doesn't send me photos.  And I never ask, but I forget them entirely.  So when I have paid work to offer to photographers, who am I going to recommend??

By the way,  one of my lingerie collections is called 'Equestrienne'.  I am looking at several options to get it shot.  One thing I was considering is taking the whole project to London to shoot on an estate.  I am keeping my eye out for a London photographer.  The job pays $1,200.  This photo alone would cause me to seriously consider you.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140328/07/533587575d86a_m.jpg

However, if we had shot, and you had not ever sent images, you would not be in consideration.  I want a photographer who wants to impress me.  Who WANTS my business.  The 'I paid you now go away' approach is not going to work in your favor in cultivating paid work.

Aug 21 15 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Blaire_ wrote:
You are missing my point entirely.  I didn't say 'need'.  Professional models (which is who I assume you work with) don't need photos.  They have plenty.  I'm saying, while you're at it, when you finish a few, you might as well pop two or three in an email and turn your model into a business ally.  I don't mind when a photographer doesn't send me photos.  And I never ask, but I forget them entirely.  So when I have paid work to offer to photographers, who am I going to recommend??

By the way,  one of my lingerie collections is called 'Equestrienne'.  I am looking at several options to get it shot.  One thing I was considering is taking the whole project to London to shoot on an estate.  I am keeping my eye out for a London photographer.  The job pays $1,200.  This photo alone would cause me to seriously consider you.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140328/07/533587575d86a_m.jpg

However, if we had shot, and you had not ever sent images, you would not be in consideration.  I want a photographer who wants to impress me.  Who WANTS my business.  The 'I paid you now go away' approach is not going to work in your favor in cultivating paid work.

Darren Brade wrote:

+1 Personally I'm not a big fan of those who simply expect something for nothing.
If you liked the photographers work so much to begin with, surely you would have hired him/her.
I can't see you ever hiring a photographer for one of you campaigns, who's work you initially saw no value in.
Your reasoning merely sounds like an excuse to go around cherry picking whatever takes your fancy.

Aug 21 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

ontherocks wrote:
if you have unwritten rules that the model isn't aware of that could cause problems. but on the flip side too much upfront discussion can cause trouble, too.

this topic seems to come up a lot. apparently some TF models are now expecting both money and images.

I make it clear to models that I pay that I will not give them images for their use in their portfolio or for any other use.  The truth is that model in fact does not like your work, can not distinguish about the quality of your work or that of a GWC.

Models that want to be paid and demand  your edits place no value on the photographer
Somewhere along the journey there has to be value in the work a photographer does. 

I understand that traveling models need to be paid.  They are mostly amazing models and have books to prove it.  They are worth every penny.

But there are a number of traveling models who have worked for trade or for discounted rates.

In all cases I have given them up to 20 edits with  which I have a turn around time of 1 to 2 days.

If you are a local model that is just starting and have a bad book, if I have to pay them they do not get any edits  and I tell them that at the beginning of any collaboration.  If they shoot for trade they get images that have been edited. As I have mentioned above.

Aug 21 15 02:41 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

With TFP shoots, I generally go with the assumption that I will get images at the end of it. I have been given money on occasion before on TFP shoots, but I never ask for it nor is it implied that it is the norm'. Once was because a location went awry and once was because he'd had to cancel due to personal reasons.

With paid shoots, I assume I won't get any images. I may ask 'Do I get any?' but I will never whine or be disappointed if I am told no, and I consider any images I *am* sent to be a bonus.

I generally keep in touch as best as schedules permit with photographers regardless of whether or not it is TFP or paid, particularly if I like their style and we've discussed shooting again when arrangements permit.

Aug 21 15 03:41 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Rik Williams wrote:
+1 Personally I'm not a big fan of those who simply expect something for nothing.
If you liked the photographers work so much to begin with, surely you would have hired him/her.
I can't see you ever hiring a photographer for one of you campaigns, who's work you initially saw no value in.
Your reasoning merely sounds like an excuse to go around cherry picking whatever takes your fancy.

Nobody said anything about expecting.  I'm just saying it's smart marketing practice. 

And the great thing about being the client, is that you can 'cherry pick' all you want.  (although I really don't know what you mean by that).

Aug 21 15 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Blaire_ wrote:
Nobody said anything about expecting.  I'm just saying it's smart marketing practice. 

And the great thing about being the client, is that you can 'cherry pick' all you want.  (although I really don't know what you mean by that).

So are you saying you see yourself as the paid talent and the client when you're getting paid for a job?

I was specifically referring to your proposal that you might choose a potential shooter for your up coming campaign from a list of photographers you would only accept payment from to work with, this would seem highly unlikely in the real world.

What I am saying is it is very unfair to accept/expect images one finds to be of value from clients who initially paid for services rendered, without offering some form of compensation for their hard work. (Unless previously negotiated before the shoot)
I'm also saying that there are a lot of models out there who do indeed expect images under the circumstances I've mentioned above.

Not necessarily you.

Aug 21 15 11:48 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Rik Williams wrote:

So are you saying you see yourself as the paid talent and the client when you're getting paid for a job?

I was specifically referring to your proposal that you might choose a potential shooter for your up coming campaign from a list of photographers you would only accept payment from to work with, this would seem highly unlikely in the real world.

What I am saying is it is very unfair to accept/expect images one finds to be of value from clients who initially paid for services rendered, without offering some form of compensation for their hard work. (Unless previously negotiated before the shoot)
I'm also saying that there are a lot of models out there who do indeed expect images under the circumstances I've mentioned above. Not necessarily you.

No, I don't.  But I, along with everybody else, am a potential client, and referral.  And to think that just because I wouldn't shoot TF with them initially does not take them out of the running for paid work in the future, although somebody with a defeatist attitude might think that.  People can surprise you.  They surprise me every day.

Charles Nevols hired me in San Francisco.  He paid me, I really had no expectations.  He did send me a few photos.  And his work BLEW ME AWAY.  Fucking blew my mind.  I would definitely consider him, whereas I would not have by just pursuing his portfolio, and I definitely would not have if he never shared what he created with me, because my mind wouldn't have been blown. 

You mention services rendered and hard work.  You are already doing the work.  The work is done.  The only additional work to be done is attaching them to an email with a nice note. 

You obviously don't get it, so I'm going to bow out now.  I hope your business plan works for you.

Aug 22 15 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Blaire_ wrote:
No, I don't.  But I, along with everybody else, am a potential client, and referral.  And to think that just because I wouldn't shoot TF with them initially does not take them out of the running for paid work in the future, although somebody with a defeatist attitude might think that.  People can surprise you.  They surprise me every day.

Charles Nevols hired me in San Francisco.  He paid me, I really had no expectations.  He did send me a few photos.  And his work BLEW ME AWAY.  Fucking blew my mind.  I would definitely consider him, whereas I would not have by just pursuing his portfolio, and I definitely would not have if he never shared what he created with me, because my mind wouldn't have been blown. 

You mention services rendered and hard work.  You are already doing the work.  The work is done.  The only additional work to be done is attaching them to an email with a nice note. 

You obviously don't get it, so I'm going to bow out now.  I hope your business plan works for you.

Just goes to show you how far removed from reality the MM way of doing business is done.

Thank you so much, I've no doubt your sincerity and heartfelt well wishes are evident to all 😄

And in return, all the best with your enterprising plans for the future, I'm certain your (want your cake and eat it too) business model will take you far.

Aug 22 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Isis22 wrote:

++`1

Aug 22 15 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I have found this thread interesting so far.

There seems to be a general consensus among some of the photographers here that working with models in terms of the transaction is similar to purchasing a can of beets at the supermarket.

"I paid for the beets, I will eat them all and throw the can away."

The service provider/customer relationship is strictly defined and adhered to as such. This lack of vision disappoints me. If the purchaser of beets were to consider a long-term global strategy they might benefit in ways that far exceed their own imaginations but they are clutching the pennies so tightly that they have no ability to release their grasp and reach for future dollars.

I worked for a couple of years at Kinko's under the original founders. Their mission statement was simple - "Our number one priority is to take care of our customer". The vision and implementation of that on a store level was that EVERYBODY was your customer and you were EVERYBODY'S customer. We worked hard to build long-term relationships with the people we worked FOR, the people we worked WITH and the people who worked FOR US. The result was lots of steady repeat business, lots of referrals from satisfied customers that led to new business and lots of customers moving around the business world but coming to the place they knew would take care of them every time.

The founders started with one copier in a leased building and grew to over 1200 stores worldwide before they sold the business at a huge profit and retired in their late 40's so it appears they understood something powerful. In every city there were plenty of places to get copies but nationwide nobody even came close to achieving what Kinko's did.

I see that Rik and Blaire have agreed to disagree but I am not able to wrap my head around Rik's (and others) concept that hiring a model is a single, cut and dried transaction. If he hired Blaire and sent along a couple of web-ready images afterwards, what does it cost him? One minute? What does it benefit him? For one, having your work seen in the portfolio of a professional model, that is an immediate benefit. More important and I am just repeating Blaire's point here, what benefit is it to Rik long term? There is no way of knowing, is there? To dismiss such opportunities to establish a long term relationship because the outcome cannot be predicted is extremely short-sighted in my view. People grow and change and their position in life grows and changes with them. Lots of models become photographers, art directors, curators, movers and shakers with their own businesses or representing business concerns of their customers.

A good friend said it well although perhaps a bit harsh to fit this situation:

"The toes you step on today might be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow."

Best of luck to all of you!!!! big_smile

Aug 22 15 10:02 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I have found this thread interesting so far.

There seems to be a general consensus among some of the photographers here that working with models in terms of the transaction is similar to purchasing a can of beets at the supermarket.

The service provider/customer relationship is strictly defined and adhered to as such. This lack of vision disappoints me. If the purchaser of beets were to consider a long-term global strategy they might benefit in ways that far exceed their own imaginations but they are clutching the pennies so tightly that they have no ability to release their grasp and reach for future dollars.

I worked for a couple of years at Kinko's under the original founders. Their mission statement was simple - "Our number one priority is to take care of our customer". The vision and implementation of that on a store level was that EVERYBODY was your customer and you were EVERYBODY'S customer. We worked hard to build long-term relationships with the people we worked FOR, the people we worked WITH and the people who worked FOR US. The result was lots of steady repeat business, lots of referrals from satisfied customers that led to new business and lots of customers moving around the business world but coming to the place they knew would take care of them every time.

The founders started with one copier in a leased building and grew to over 1200 stores worldwide before they sold the business at a huge profit and retired in their late 40's so it appears they understood something powerful. In every city there were plenty of places to get copies but nationwide nobody even came close to achieving what Kinko's did.

I see that Rik and Blaire have agreed to disagree but I am not able to wrap my head around Rik's (and others) concept that hiring a model is a single, cut and dried transaction. If he hired Blaire and sent along a couple of web-ready images afterwards, what does it cost him? One minute? What does it benefit him? For one, having your work seen in the portfolio of a professional model, that is an immediate benefit. More important and I am just repeating Blaire's point here, what benefit is it to Rik long term? There is no way of knowing, is there? To dismiss such opportunities to establish a long term relationship because the outcome cannot be predicted is extremely short-sighted in my view. People grow and change and their position in life grows and changes with them. Lots of models become photographers, art directors, curators, movers and shakers with their own businesses or representing business concerns of their customers.

A good friend said it well although perhaps a bit harsh to fit this situation:

"The toes you step on today might be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow."

Best of luck to all of you!!!! big_smile

I don't think you get what they said because you don't shoot for money. When you start depending on photography for income you'll have few illusions about the people who exploit others. Giving photos to models hasn't led to work for me. One model claimed I was going to shoot her cover album and she even said that to people. All she did was exploit me and even refused to sign a standard model release. . It's when potential clients see me on facebook that the doors swing open and they don't find me through models. I meet people at fashion shows and when they look at facebook and the website, opportunity occurs through there. If people find me through models on facebook they try and get me to come to fashion events and work for free. To get work means I have to get out-and-about.

Aug 22 15 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

I don't think you get what they said because you don't shoot for money. When you start depending on photography for income you'll have few illusions about the people who exploit others. Giving photos to models hasn't led to work for me. One model claimed I was going to shoot her cover album and she even said that to people. All she did was exploit me and even refused to sign a standard model release. . It's when potential clients see me on facebook that the doors swing open and they don't find me through models. I meet people at fashion shows and when they look at facebook and the website, opportunity occurs through there. If people find me through models on facebook they try and get me to come to fashion events and work for free. To get work means I have to get out-and-about.

I have shot for money in the past - weddings, ballet, ice skating, did not enjoy it. Photography as a business IS a business, universal precepts apply. I would rather make money in other pursuits and enjoy my "art time". Lately I don't shoot at all or even think about it. I am much more focused on songwriting and performing. This speaks to what I said about people changing and the opportunities they represent changing as well.

Re-read your last sentence, it is excellent and means far more than you think it means. Skeptical dotted line P's and Q's people still succeed in business, what they don't know won't hurt them I suppose. There is more than one way to expand your market.

Aug 22 15 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Shadow Dancer wrote:

You have a very curious way of seeing things.

You speak of long term goals and lack of vision in a way that might suggest you have it all figured out and are well on your way to business success, then contradict this by saying you don't enjoy shooting for money and would much rather shoot for the 'art' of it all?

Perhaps this argument may stand up to scrutiny in MM land, but when it comes time to paying the bills, I'm afraid reality must prevail.

If you cast your mind back to my original argument, being the negotiating of images prior, as a far more professional way of conducting business, you might better understand where I'm coming from.

If something has value, it must ultimately have a price and I believe this should be established as part of the deal prior to money changing hands. Not after, when someone sees something that takes their fancy and feels they can use it to their own advantage, forsaking the effort of others entirely.

I am happy to negotiate prior to a shoot in order to establish terms, in fact, I do it with all my clients, none of whom have expectations of free images at any point.  ...I hope this is making sense.

You may see paying models as part of your art process, however there are many of us who don't.

Personally, I see art as working with passionate, like minded creatives, toward a common goal. The exchange of ideas and development of concepts in order to create work that speaks to others ...not just the exchange of cash ...if it's exchanged at all.

Aug 22 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

if you get a reputation for giving it away and paying, then only those who want it for free will come to you.

If a paid model wants to see what came of the shoot, she can look at my website, or FB page.

Wonder how long a restaurant would stay in business if they paid people to come and eat.

True, once an image is finished there is no extra cost in sending it out, but the image is my PRODUCT, so why would I give it away, especially after having had to pay to be able to make my product.

It is very unlikely that I would ever hire a model that I did not consider even good enough to TF with, much less one who I would shoot only if they paid me.

Aug 22 15 01:36 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Rik Williams wrote:
Just goes to show you how far removed from reality the MM way of doing business is done.

Thank you so much, I've no doubt your sincerity and heartfelt well wishes are evident to all 😄

And in return, all the best with your enterprising plans for the future, I'm certain your (want your cake and eat it too) business model will take you far.

Honestly, your personal attacks on some models just shows your level of professionalism. We are all adults here. Hopefully you are not 16 years old.  I wish you the best in your pursuits.

Aug 22 15 01:53 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Turns out I'm too stubborn, so I'm going to throw another 2 cents in here smile

First off, you keep saying 'expecting something for free'.  And every time new post I make starts with this.  NO.  I'm not expecting.  Let that sink in.

This is in no way an expectation.  Not even a little bit.  No.  Just no.  So, let's toss that part out.

Secondly, I owe a bit of an apology.  You said that I was removed from the reality of the MM way of doing business.  You're right.  I am removed from the reality of the MM way of doing business.  I'm into the reality of actual business.  For something bigger than MM, which is small fry.  I was speaking to you with the assumption that you will eventually want to do commercial work with big clients, art directors, producers.  You're completely right.  If your end game is shooting models for their portfolios for three hundred dollars a pop, giving photos to models you pay won't work.   In fact, paying models at all won't work. So, I apologize for that assumption.  However, you're damn right I want my cake and eat it too.  I want the whole bakery.  And I will work day and night until I have a chain of them. 

I am not just a model.  I started there, but through the contacts I have made through MM, I have become a studio manager, art director, producer, and now lingerie designer and business owner.  I used MM to make connections, and then built up from there.  I treated everybody I came across as if they had a lot to offer, and I inspired confidence in some of them and it became an extremely valuable partnership for the both of us.  I never treated anybody as if they were my end game.  I wanted to share what I had with them so that together, we could create more than what we both had.

Aug 22 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Blaire_ wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to share what you have and create a really positive experience?

I have a concept for you - pay the photographer and create a really positive experience.
The thing of value that photographers are paid for is their photographs. It isn't some pretty leaf you found on the ground in the studio's parking lot, that you're asking to have. If they're published go buy the magazine and tear out the page. Or offer something of value for your use of them.
Geez.

Aug 22 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

-Tegan- wrote:
Honestly, your personal attacks on models just shows your lack of professionalism...no offense. Hopefully you are not 16 years old.  I wish you the best.

Personal attack/s? Did I miss something here?

Anyway, all the best to you too

Aug 22 15 02:32 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I have a concept for you - pay the photographer and create a really positive experience.
The thing of value that photographers are paid for is their photographs. It isn't some pretty leaf you found on the ground in the studio's parking lot, that you're asking to have. If they're published go buy the magazine and tear out the page. Or offer something of value for your use of them.
Geez.

Yes!  I'm on it!  I'm in the position all the time to offer paid work to photographers.  I can't get what I need to done without them!  And besides the work I find for them, I have my commercial projects coming up.  Each with a budget (for the photographers alone) of about $2,200, not to mention food, travel, lodging.  I will be paying them for the campaign, and I would hope that they would share the photos wherever they can so that my brand can reach more people.  I will also be sharing the photos and promoting the amazing photographer I had the pleasure to work with in hopes that he would benefit more from the job.

Oh.  And leaves are dumb, and worthless.  I would never give one as a gift.

Aug 22 15 02:35 pm Link