Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Southern California Hair and Makeup groups

Photographer

Dave Doeppel

GRANADA HILLS, California, US

Does anyone know of any groups here or maybe even Facebook that are specific to Southern California. I run group shoots every month and am having a hard time getting Hair Stylists. Im usually pretty lucky with Makeup but even then I get a lot of flakes.

Commit one day, cancel the next. or Cancel the day before or day of a shoot. It's frustrating.

Thanks in advance if you know of any good resources!!!

Sep 13 15 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

out here I give muas free business cards with our logo and their name to push both of our names.  I also pay a kit fee $12 for them.  It helps to encourage them to show up.  Many are flakey but I also shoot weddings and sometimes it leads to real jobs with my team.

Sep 13 15 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Doeppel

We do pay a $25 kit fee plus we ask for tips from the photographers. So they end up getting between $40 & $60

Sep 14 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

wow. you guys pay a lot more.  Makeup costs the same whatever country.  That's good to hear.  I thought that would be enough to keep your makeup artists happy.

Sep 16 15 02:12 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Group Shoots rarely result in images that can be used by the Makeup/Hair Artist in their formal portfolio.

So, there has to be enough Value in the offer to make it worth their time.
$25 Kit Fee is typically not enough - especially if the Networking opportunities at the Group Shoot are not in the markets they with to pursue.

While it is NEVER professional to Flake, there can be little intensive to hold the date.

Sep 17 15 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Dave Doeppel

This is true, however I make sure that I get quality shots for HMUA's, front, back, profile etc. and do not over process this so they do get useable images.

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Group Shoots rarely result in images that can be used by the Makeup/Hair Artist in their formal portfolio.

So, there has to be enough Value in the offer to make it worth their time.
$25 Kit Fee is typically not enough - especially if the Networking opportunities at the Group Shoot are not in the markets they with to pursue.

While it is NEVER professional to Flake, there can be little intensive to hold the date.

Sep 17 15 11:14 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Dave Doeppel wrote:
This is true, however I make sure that I get quality shots for HMUA's, front, back, profile etc. and do not over process this so they do get useable images.

This is great to hear - and should be a good opportunity for a MUA just starting out.
We should all spend some "time in the trenches" as it were.

Still, if the Group Shoot is Glam/Retro/Vintage/Fetish and the artist isn't working in those markets.... it's going to add to your challenge of finding good, reliable artists.

One more factor in a portfolio level image is the quality of the model.

Word of mouth and sharing strong images of past events should help attract some talent your way.

BTW - Some of the strongest images in my portfolio are from Group and Event shoots.....

Sep 17 15 02:15 pm Link