Forums > Newbie Forum > What Does TF Mean?

Model

scenterbar

Venice, Florida, US

Some photographers talk about doing TF shoots for models?

What does that mean exactly?

Thanks!

Sep 29 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

It means many things to many people, as you'll see if you search on this topic.

To me it means "Time For..." or "Trade For..."

You give me your Time (modelling, dance poses, whatever) and I give you Images.

Sep 29 15 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Welcome to the mayhem!

smile

Sep 29 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Toto Photo wrote:
It means many things to many people, as you'll see if you search on this topic.

To me it means "Time For..." or "Trade For..."

You give me your Time (modelling, dance poses, whatever) and I give you Images.

Correct, but but to carry the definition a bit further,. TF (or Trade) is simply buying and selling using another form of exchange than money, usually involving the personal services of one or another of the persons trading.  (When you think about it, paying by cash is simply a form of trade.  You trade your money for the product you buy)

While pictures in some form, whether prints or electronic files, are probably the most common item exchanged, it can be anything.  Often traveling models will trade shoot time for an airplane ticket to the next town, or for a place to sleep.  A photographer may trade his services for equipment.  A wardrobe stylist might trade her time for a rare historical costume.

It really doesn't matter what;s being traded.  The important part is that both parties have to feel lthey are getting full benefit from the trade.  That's where good communication comes in. Always make sure that you discuss the deal fully with your trading partner.  Don't assume.  Don't leave anything out.  If it hasn't been agreed on, than that part of the deal doesn't exist. 

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 29 15 04:34 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

The purpose of a TF shoot is often to improve your portfolio.   The photographer should be getting you better pictures, or up to date pictures for your portfolio.  You should be providing him with opportunities to learn, or better images from your modeling experience and looks.  There is also the possibility that the photographer will have the right to sell the photos.

Ray talked about discussing the details.  This important.  It is also important to discuss the details by email (if it isn't written, it wasn't said) so that you keep a record of what is promised to you and when.  One of the most reoccurring threads in the forums are from models that are asking what to do when a photographer hasn't delivered the images from a TF shoot.  Please read these threads and prepare yourself before entering into an agreement.  The great thing about the forums is the information that is available to help all of us when there are issues.  Sometimes, after the fact of an event, it is too late to get help.  So, prepare.

MM also has some great articles to help you.  You can find some by clicking on the yellow boxes with ! in them.  They are located at the top of the forums.  Someone may also add links to this thread.  If they don't, they exist in other threads in the newly section.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  Hope to see you participate in the forums in the future.

Sep 29 15 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. smile

Sep 29 15 11:31 pm Link