Forums > Model Colloquy > Asking non-models in public if they would model

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Flex Photography wrote:
Another old thread!

Must be terribly difficult for you  You’ve moved on. Why can’t they?

Apr 08 16 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Clementynejoy wrote:
Before I was a professional model - and often after - I get approached in restaurants, malls, gas stations while filling my tank, and countless other locations.  It has never offended me.  Usually I am presented with a business card and asked if I am a model or if I would consider modeling for them.   Not a big deal and not offensive.   I just take the card and say thanks I'll consider it.   If I feel they are seriously legit I may research them and reach out.

If I saw you out in a public location, and the opportunity presented itself, I would absolutely have been one of those photographers who would approach you to ask if you'd model and give you my card.   Especially before the Internet and of course when i was first starting out ... I approached to speak with many strangers whom I saw potential and pass my card.  The thing is that I have a theater and speech background so I'm not shy about it.  Out of hundreds of cards passed, enough people have contacted me after the fact for shoots that I find it well worth the risk of embarrassment at being rejected.  I see nothing wrong with this.  If you don't take a chance on passing the card, you'll never know who you may miss out on.

Apr 08 16 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've had the best success asking strangers or people I'd met in passing to shoot.   Several worked out at my former health club.   A few I met on public transportation and at bus stops.   Even those who weren't interested were flattered.   I'll never forget my mother returned from some event where a photographer had approached and asked could he shoot her.   He gave her his card.   My mother was past middle aged but I can still remember how she lit up telling me.   Print up cards with your profile here or outside website.   Be friendly and polite and non pushy.   Years ago a really pretty girl and I reconnected at college.   She asked why I never asked for 'some.'

I was surprised.   I told her I didn't think she liked me.   She said you didn't try.   You have nothing to lose by asking.

Apr 08 16 10:02 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
Maybe this has been discussed to death, but over the years especially before I knew about model mayhem.......

That was how we did during the early 80´s before MM, mobiles, internet and digital cameras. My first studioshot ever; except for photoshots at primary school; came into reality that way. It was a man travelling in Sweden with a camera. I got a note I was so proud of that I saved it in my scrapbook with memories.

It was saying "Hi, my name is Paul Smith. I am a photographer. I would like to photograph your face..... and a telephone number to his temporary swedish studio".

I still keep the note.... LOL.

Apr 09 16 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

When I was in New York years ago I joined a studio that provided models.(nude models)   smile

One of them is in my portfolio.

Apr 09 16 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

The beauty of the Model Mayhem site is that it provides a screening protocol for the models and the photographers. I sure everybody who ever picked up a camera would like to walk up to people they pass on the street and ask to take their photo...but that is not the real world. If you want to photograph models you have to build up your credibility and network.

Apr 09 16 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

PhotoPower wrote:
The beauty of the Model Mayhem site is that it provides a screening protocol for the models and the photographers. I sure everybody who ever picked up a camera would like to walk up to people they pass on the street and ask to take their photo...but that is not the real world. If you want to photograph models you have to build up your credibility and network.

Henri Cartier-Bresson Did it long before social networks and ModelMayhem.   http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3= … 24KL53ZMYN     So did Man Ray and others.

Apr 10 16 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Yeah, this is a tough one. I often ask myself the same question. I think the answer is approaching someone unsolicited is a bad idea and will probably result in rejection along with that person thinking you're a scammer or some kind of weirdo.

Now, I suppose it can depend on the deliver but maybe a better tact would be to make a subtle attempt to engage in conversation, small talk, smile, maybe do something nice like hold a door, or whatever. Then keep it simple and professional, have a business card out, delivery is key, tread lightly and watch for signs that they feel you've crossed the "stranger line". Think before you speak.

It's very easy to be nice to people and strike up a conversation but it's just as easy to have it all go bad.

Apr 21 16 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Bai Uo

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Some funny  stories I got from Flickr today, might related to your topic:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140746260 … 621360553/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140746260 … 353143841/

Apr 23 16 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I can honestly say that I have no guts or skill for doing this, and would not be photographing models if online communities didn't exist.

Apr 23 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Yeah, this is a tough one. I often ask myself the same question. I think the answer is approaching someone unsolicited is a bad idea and will probably result in rejection along with that person thinking you're a scammer or some kind of weirdo.

Now, I suppose it can depend on the deliver but maybe a better tact would be to make a subtle attempt to engage in conversation, small talk, smile, maybe do something nice like hold a door, or whatever. Then keep it simple and professional, have a business card out, delivery is key, tread lightly and watch for signs that they feel you've crossed the "stranger line". Think before you speak.

It's very easy to be nice to people and strike up a conversation but it's just as easy to have it all go bad.

Probably the best  way to break the ice is when they approach you while shooting, which makes it a "warm" contact.

Apr 23 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

There is nothing wrong with meeting new people in public provided you exhibit appropriate decorum. You can quickly get an idea of somebody's personality. If the conversation steers toward modeling (most people ask me what I do for a living) and mutual interest, then it can lead to an exchange of contact info. I've met quite a few models this way, although not at a mall. It is usually at some kind of event where people are staying for a while (10K, paddle boarding festival, art exhibits, the beach).

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:

Who you approach is as important as how. There are a lot of friendly and open-minded people in the world. Sometimes the hardest thing you have to do is say, "hello."

Rp-photo wrote:
I just realized that this thread is from 2005 and that I had replied a decade ago.

Looks like the OP joined in 2015. Are you sure it's not from 2015?

Apr 23 16 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

A K Nicholas - Art Nude Images wrote:
Looks like the OP joined in 2015. Are you sure it's not from 2015?

Yes, I got "15" and "05" confused: Nov 13 15 05:15 am

It also looks like I didn't reply earlier. Someone must have made a quote error and has since corrected it.

Apr 23 16 01:11 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I find it is best to produce a card with your contact info and a web page that they can go look at. Treat them with respect and keep the conversation brief...

set up a second conversation... ask them if they wouldn't mind if you came back after they have had the chance to look at your work?

I often have an i-pad or device that has some of my work on it...

Most times it takes me at least three times before I get someone in my studio... some more... and often that certain spark that made me ask in the first place goes away for me... and I don't care.

I have had great success painting strangers...

sold quite a few of them too!

Apr 23 16 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

P U R A W

London, England, United Kingdom

Apr 28 16 11:58 am Link

Photographer

AlternativeFilter

Lakeland, Florida, US

**Kicking up an old thread**

With the exception of one model, my portfolio consist of models that have never had experience in front of the camera and are ones Ive asked in person if they are interested in shooting. The biggest difference from the OG poster's approach, is the models in my port are women that I have either met previously or have known for a while. There has only been a couple of rare occasions where I have ask someone to model when I first met them, but those were usually alcohol fueled while at the bar (what photographer hasnt done that, haha). Usually if I see someone with potential, I will just start a random convo and lead the direction of it towards my photography hobby. Once I get to that point, I let them respond and feel out where to go from there. If you dont come off as a weirdo photo guy, have some of your pics on your phone for reference, and play it cool with a lot of humor, you can usually snag a newbie off the streets and have a photoshoot set up within a day or two. Now granted this has only worked with the demographic I associate with, which are primarily what many would consider the Alternative Model crowd. The appreciation I have for their individual styles is what allows me to gain the ability to shoot with them, even if I dont even know them.

As for just cold approaching a random stranger and being like "Hello, you are highly attractive and I would like to take photographs of you" seems fine in theory, but in hindsight really makes one look like a creepo fauxtog.

Dec 22 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:
Modeling scouts, directors and reporters approached people on the street that went on to be famous celebrities. There were places that were known to be the hot spots you may be discovered like, “Top Hat Malt Shop in Hollywood” Grey's Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo was working as a bartender at the SoHo Kitchen Bar & Grille in NYC. A casting agent spotted her and thought she'd be perfect for commercial work. Here’s a good read of some models spotted on the street.

http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/news/ga … ries,25562

Many of these 'discovered' stories are utter bilge.One of the longest-lived stores is "Lana Turner" discovered at a malted milk counter.

Dec 25 16 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Flex Photography wrote:
https://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/th_Avatars_Funny_Crawling_Bug.gif

Hilarious. So realistic. Although I suspected this might be a trap, I reached up to my screen to kill the bug just in case it might get away! LOL

To address the topic: BTDT--successfully...and unsuccessfully. Haven't read all the other contributions but I feel comfortable that I know how to do it but opt not to because it's so much longer of a sales cycle, so to speak.

Dec 25 16 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Dec 26 16 02:56 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I will offer to shoot someone when they are struggling to take a selfie, or a couple is trading off the phone, I will offer to shoot them as a couple.  I have had people ask me to take their selfie because of my camera, they figured I knew what I was doing.  If I am interested, I will ask if I can shoot a couple also, then email them to the people.  It is a good way to break the ice and add some credibility.  I did an oil portrait of one of the women I met this way.

Dec 26 16 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Reminds me of story from Reader's Digest of these guys who came off the ski lift and asked this guy to shoot them with their camera. They gave him instructions on how to use the camera and he took their picture.

After he left, the resort attendant asked the guys, "Do you know who that was?"  They didn't. "Steven Speilberg!" ;-)

Having said that, just because I can use my SLR doesn't necessarily mean I know how to run your point and shoot!

Dec 26 16 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Don Garrett wrote:
Before I was told about Model Mayhem, I used to cruise up and down El Cajon Blvd., in San Diego, looking for prostitutes who were gorgeous enough to model for me. They were very easy, It was a very successful technique, but the downsides were, that a couple of times, two different ones lit up their crack pipe, right in my car !! Some of them could also be pretty un-realible about schedules. I also used the newspaper, at the local university, it was, also, very successful, but, putting an ad in the university newspaper was somewhat costly, when compared to finding models here. I, also just used women I met, in various venues, or on the street. One such "model" I met at a local Thai restaurant - Jantana, who is in my portfolio, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854     
-Don

I remember when all the prostitutes were downtown on and off Broadway. I remember when they cleaned that all up when they wanted to build up the Gaslamp area.

Dec 27 16 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

I do give out business card once in a while when I see an eye catcher in unlikely places like at the subway or at a restaurant even a CVS or a supermarket.
90% of the time I get a call back If I give out a card with a candy stapled on it.
A good place to give out cards is NY Penn Station especially on a Friday night. Watch for the Long Beach or Babylon branch crowd, getting off the train, women looking their best off to clubbing in bunches of 5 and more with no man hanging out with them.
"Wrapped Candy stapled to business card" technique can work wonders there too.
big_smile big_smile
But obviously it depends who hands them out big_smile
so do it at your own risk big_smile.

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I will offer to shoot someone when they are struggling to take a selfie, or a couple is trading off the phone, I will offer to shoot them as a couple.  I have had people ask me to take their selfie because of my camera, they figured I knew what I was doing.  If I am interested, I will ask if I can shoot a couple also, then email them to the people.  It is a good way to break the ice and add some credibility.  I did an oil portrait of one of the women I met this way.

When I happen to be in highly touristic places a lot of people ask me to take their pictures with their camera when they see me with two large ones hanging one each side. big_smile big_smile
I joke "No charge" big_smile

Dec 27 16 08:37 am Link

Photographer

JoesAlterrnative

Tampa, Florida, US

I actually find it harder as a male photographer, no matter how professional you present yourself, to pull could be models in person, no matter how good your work is. There are campaign photographers who still get turned down in person when they scout girls. So I tend to stick online, mainly IG. Its much easier, and the face to face uncertainty is removed. Since they can see your work instantly before responding. Versus trying to whip out your phone or hand them a card which sends mixed messages to girls even though it shouldn't. Its sad how things have become that there is no social approach that is seen as friendly. But I don't blame people for the most part.

You just have to get creative if you don't have access to agencies. Or come up with a good presentation for on the go if you do want to approach someone in public. Have a tablet with your images that are not revealing, or nudes. Only show them clothed photos or high quality swimwear/ lingerie if its stellar, THAT IS KEY.

lastly, don't flirt or come off as a creepy by starring awkwardly, or sounding like you just want her number with no credentials to verify your work.

Dec 27 16 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Guys don't be afraid to approach attractive people and give them your card.   I've been approached when I've shot models and been asked for my card or if I would snap a few photos of them.   Some of the ladies were really pretty.   Keep some images on your phone or tablet and always have a card with you.   Sure some people may think you're creepy but a lot will be flattered and say, yes.   A member has said a lot of the model/actor discovery stories are bull but many aren't.   Peter Beard really did discover Iman.    Gia was also discovered by a then unknown photographer.   I met two of my best used models at my former health club.   It never hurts to ask.   Men have this mistaken belief that beautiful women are always busy or taken or wouldn't give them the time of day.   Some are that way but a lot are as shy as we are.   

You lose nothing by asking.   Once models land on sites like these they are often swamped with offers.   Approaching women in person shows a level of confidence that many appreciate.   It gives them a chance to ask a few questions if they really would like to shoot.   So take a chance.   Be polite, friendly and professional.    You might be surprised at how many women and men will shoot.   Hey if an old duffer like me can do it....

Dec 27 16 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
The takeaway...

Local takeaways are great. Build up a rapport with a likely looking young lady behind the counter over a couple of visits before asking her.

Dec 29 16 09:26 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Whether a photographer does this or not may be influenced by age. Us old timers had no choice to do this if we wanted to find new faces. This was before the internet, before texting, before a lot of things when people talked face to face.

Dec 29 16 09:51 am Link

Photographer

norm la coe photography

Naples, Florida, US

I just approach with a card and ask them to call in %, but only  if the girl moved like she knew we looked at her.  some girls strut or slink and other girls just bumble along.  i have not had any girl get angry at me, the worst was an unsmiling 'no, not interested.'  i don't think any of them were insulted, and to tell the truth, i think any who are asked are flattered.  exception:  the unattractive girl.  I once flattered an unattractive girl to try to make her feel good, and she reported me for indecent conduct. 
gosh, aren't women lovely?  norm

Dec 30 16 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

"No good deed goes unpunished!" ;-)

Dec 30 16 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jun Weaver Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I've had great luck at MACYS and GNC's by the way lol.

Taking notes..

Dec 30 16 08:47 pm Link

Model

Miss 5 11

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

It's how Audrey Hepburn was discovered by Norman Parkinson

Jan 01 17 08:09 pm Link