Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Dulling the shine on a temporary tattoo

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'll be working on a shoot next month and the model needs to have tattoos as a part of the creative. The rationale for not simply hiring a tattooed model is that the tattoos need to be incredibly specific and so it made more sense to utilize temporary tattoos. The problem with most temporary tattoos is that they have the horrible shine that screams fake and while I've looked online for ways to dull it there's a glut of information (and nothing I found showed models with darker skin tones which may change things- I fully admit my ignorance here I'm not an MUA and while there will be an MUA on set she was upfront telling me this isn't her wheelhouse). Currently I've narrowed it down to two options Ben Nye Neutral set powder and translucent face powder. I'm hoping someone can tell me if one will be better than the other OR if I should simply buy both products and see which works better. Thank you in advance for any input.

Dec 13 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I have no idea the shine you're referring to, but there is "dulling spray" that photographers use for product photography. I have no idea how hypo-alergenic it would be however, as it's not really meant for skin.

Dec 13 15 01:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I have no idea the shine you're referring to, but there is "dulling spray" that photographers use for product photography. I have no idea how hypo-alergenic it would be however, as it's not really meant for skin.

There's a shine that is present with the majority of commercially available tattoo brands that I'm familiar with (the primary exception being a company that prints tattoos that are custom and meant to be realistic allowing users to try the look before they go through with the permanent decision of inking themselves BUT there's a cost factor to consider when looking to apply larger tattoos or multiples ones). I assume (I hope) that an MUA who has utilized temporary tattoos will have some understanding of what I'm referring to because while I appreciate your input I'm not comfortable even considering a product that's not meant for use on skin.

Dec 13 15 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Tiffany_B wrote:
... while I appreciate your input I'm not comfortable even considering a product that's not meant for use on skin.

That's a bit reactionary. A more seasoned approach would be to research the active ingredients to determine if concern was even warranted or contact the manufacturer. If skin contact is not a good idea, there may be comparable products that are skin-friendly.

Dec 13 15 01:36 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
That's a bit reactionary. A more seasoned approach would be to research the active ingredients to determine if concern was even warranted or contact the manufacturer. If skin contact is not a good idea, there may be comparable products that are skin-friendly.

My response is based on the fact that there are skin safe products available including the two I mentioned and a product that is currently manufactured in and sold from Australia (the latter of which I'm not considering because it's a liquid and I'm unsure if it will be tacky once it dries and/or if it'll make removal difficult since it's also meant to help the tattoo last longer). I have the exact same response when people debate the merits of using acrylic paint vs body paint because in my opinion the practice of using products not meant for use on the body is unwarranted.  It's one thing if in a pinch I use kool-aid instead of dye to color a pair if tights for a shoot or if I use nail polish over clear stones in a necklace to create a candy color effect because the off-label usages in those cases don't have the potential to adversely impact the model. It's entirely different though to use spray meant for products directly onto skin, especially over large areas such an entire arm or across the back, because even if there aren't immediate causes for concern (redness, itching, swelling etc.) there is the very real possibility that once soaked into the skin issues will occur and I won't in good conscience do something to someone else's body that I wouldn't first do to my own for the sake of an image. You may consider that reactionary or unseasoned but I consider it being both responsible and decent.

Dec 13 15 02:45 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Airbrush a very *light* layer of a corresponding water based foundation or body paint.
This will disrupt the shine and reinforce color continuity by knocking back the transfer's intensity.

And, agree.
Cosmetic products should be the first choice.

Also....
Airbrush is my *go-to*.
If not available... apply with a stipple sponge.

Dec 13 15 08:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Airbrush a very *light* layer of a corresponding water based foundation or body paint.
This will disrupt the shine and reinforce color continuity by knocking back the transfer's intensity.

And, agree.

Also....
Airbrush is my *go-to*.

Thank you so much for this advice! I would have never considered foundation.

Dec 13 15 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Tiffany_B wrote:
...Currently I've narrowed it down to two options Ben Nye Neutral set powder and translucent face powder...

No, opacity issues preclude either... There is a far better solution...

Lisa Berczel wrote:
This will disrupt the shine and reinforce color continuity by knocking back the transfer's intensity...

Once again opacity becomes an issue... I while a totally agree that a light mist is an ideal application methodology dragging airbrush equipment to the set (unless it is being used for the look) is an encumbrance that isn't needed...   

It's always about the right product/tool for the task... 
Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray
"...deflects surface shine and keeps skin looking beautifully matte..."

btw, I use this frequently for male grooming... especially for bald clients... it is totally clear, and you have complete control of how much you mist onto the surface...  best of all it travels gracefully at 4 oz 

Also agree with Lisa that Cosmetic products should be used, that said, a patch test is the ultimate assurance here...

How to apply? First SHAKE WELL.
For oil control apply just before foundation...
To kill shine then after makeup to deflect surface shine and lock makeup in place.
Hold the bottle 8"–10" away and mist face 2–4 times, in an "X" and "T" formation.

Hope this helps Tiffany...

Oh, Urban Decay claims it's Vegan...
But I wouldn't have it for lunch...  smile

Ingredients
Aqua (Water/Eau), Alcohol Denat, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, PVP, Methyl Perfluorobutyl Ether, Methyl Perflouroisobutyl Ether, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Caprylyl Gylcol, Menthyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, N,2,3-Trimethyl-2-Isopropyl Butamide, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Fragrance, Aloe Barbandensis Leaf Extract.

Also once Urban Decay entered the market in China they lost their pink bunny...
Yes China mandates animal testing...

Dec 14 15 06:18 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
It's always about the right product/tool for the task... 
Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray
"...deflects surface shine and keeps skin looking beautifully matte..."

And this is exactly why I ask questions smile I don't wear make-up personally so the fact that such a thing as oil control make-up setting spray exists is news to me (and not something that came up during my pre MM search for answers). Thank you for this information.

Dec 14 15 07:42 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thomas, I just went to read up on the setting spray (and to see where I could get some locally). I'm going to have to test this product on myself first because in addition to making skin matte it makes the make-up last longer and I'm curious if that means it'll make the temporary tattoos harder to remove (which is one of the primary reasons I didn't order the product specifically meant for this purpose). I know things like setting powder and foundation shouldn't impact longevity and the concern is that this might make removal take longer hmm

Dec 14 15 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Tiffany_B wrote:
Thomas, I just went to read up on the setting spray (and to see where I could get some locally). I'm going to have to test this product on myself first because in addition to making skin matte it makes the make-up last longer and I'm curious if that means it'll make the temporary tattoos harder to remove (which is one of the primary reasons I didn't order the product specifically meant for this purpose). I know things like setting powder and foundation shouldn't impact longevity and the concern is that this might make removal take longer hmm

Tiffany you concern while genuine is unnecessary here... Keep in mind I'm using this on corporate CEO's so not only does it have to come off in the shower, fragrance free is an important attribute...  I cringe at the thought of using chocolate scented product... think of the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eye Shadow Collection here smile

Tiffany, trying to be politically correct here... Have you thought of the merit/worth of collaborating with tenured makeup artist?  You have more than enough on your plate with pulling wardrobe (Pull Letters are so very hard to come by these days)... I find it refreshing to work with top commercial shooters as key makeup on a session... While on a high value commercial shoot you are only to be seen not heard, there is much trade wisdom available through observation only...

btw, there are setting sprays that are decidedly not my fav Ben Nye Final Seal being one... It's highly scented (mint) and requires major makeup remover to take off... You've been warned...

Dec 14 15 08:17 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Tiffany you concern while genuine is unnecessary here... Keep in mind I'm using this on corporate CEO's so not only does it have to come off in the shower, fragrance free is an important attribute...  I cringe at the thought of using chocolate scented product... think of the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eye Shadow Collection here smile

Tiffany, trying to be politically correct here... Have you thought of the merit/worth of collaborating with tenured makeup artist?  You have more than enough on your plate with pulling wardrobe (Pull Letters are so very hard to come by these days)... I find it refreshing to work with top commercial shooters as key makeup on a session... While on a high value commercial shoot you are only to be seen not heard, there is much trade wisdom available through observation only...

btw, there are setting sprays that are decidedly not my fav Ben Nye Final Seal being one... It's highly scented (mint) and requires major makeup remover to take off... You've been warned...

Thomas, thank you once again for your insight, my inexperience with make-up here is clearly showing smile

I'd loved to work with a tenured MUA (and I do whenever possible) but there are exactly 14 on MM within a 25 mile radius of me. Many of these people have been inactive for several months and one actually contacted me about working on their project and then disappeared when I asked for basic information like the number of models and the shoot parameters. Pulling an MUA from NY or Philly would be ideal but it's not in the budget to do so, and even if it was if they weren't familiar with temporary tattoos etc. I'd be in the same position I'm in now. I'm choosing to view this as a learning experience and so if it works that's awesome, but if it doesn't there's a plan b (and a plan c).

Thank you once again.

Dec 14 15 11:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Lisa Berczel wrote:

And, agree.

Also....
Airbrush is my *go-to*.

+1 on the foundation. But for prep clean with an astringent toner. Then apply Speed Stick deodorant lightly over the area. Apply the tattoo. Apply the foundation with a BB if not airbrushing. Use more than one color to mimic skin tones. Apply loose powder over, dust away excess. Tap a BB with BN Final Seal or Blue Marbl sealer sprayed on it over the tattoo. Then bring the tattoo "back to life" by *very* lightly stippling some EA 8 hr. Or Clarins Flash Balm. Lotions/oils break down the tattoo so be careful about this. If you have defects in the tattoo after applying you can use a tattoo pen by Reel Creations before foundation to darken areas for shading or fix mistakes.

Dec 15 15 01:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

very light setting spray and setting powder should help dull the look.
I sometimes even use light coating of wet dry foundation powder of the skin tone to help blend in.

Dec 15 15 02:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
+1 on the foundation. But for prep clean with an astringent toner. Then apply Speed Stick deodorant lightly over the area. Apply the tattoo. Apply the foundation with a BB if not airbrushing. Use more than one color to mimic skin tones. Apply loose powder over, dust away excess. Tap a BB with BN Final Seal or Blue Marbl sealer sprayed on it over the tattoo. Then bring the tattoo "back to life" by *very* lightly stippling some EA 8 hr. Or Clarins Flash Balm. Lotions/oils break down the tattoo so be careful about this. If you have defects in the tattoo after applying you can use a tattoo pen by Reel Creations before foundation to darken areas for shading or fix mistakes.

First, thank you.

Second, there are some terms in here that elude me because my make-up vocabulary is remedial. Can you please tell me what BB, BN and EA refer to.

I think that by BB you mean beauty brush but I have no idea how to identify one since the fanciest make-up tool I own is that little eye shadow swipey thing and the fact that I refer to it as the eye shadow swipey thing is precisely why I have so many questions.

Does BN refer to Ben Nye? I'm assuming based on context clues and the fact that one tutorial for this including using his setting powder.

I have no idea what EA is.

And does any of this advice change if the tattoo is full color?

Dec 15 15 07:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Raw-Beauty wrote:
very light setting spray and setting powder should help dull the look.
I sometimes even use light coating of wet dry foundation powder of the skin tone to help blend in.

You sound like you've done this before! If so (and if you have the time) would you mind sending me a PM with the before and after? Please and thank you in advance.

Dec 15 15 07:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

I know BN is Ben Nye and BB is a Beauty Blender sponge.  (The pink teardrop sponge thingy.)  I have no idea what EA is and now I want to know too! lol

Dec 15 15 09:25 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wigs and Makeup Allison wrote:
I know BN is Ben Nye and BB is a Beauty Blender sponge.  (The pink teardrop sponge thingy.)  I have no idea what EA is and now I want to know too! lol

Thank you for calling it the pink teardrop sponge thingy, that's exactly how I referred to it when I saw it the first time smile

Dec 15 15 11:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tiffany_B wrote:
You sound like you've done this before! If so (and if you have the time) would you mind sending me a PM with the before and after? Please and thank you in advance.

I hope this would help. The following link contains the two photos of the method I had mentioned.  I had just taken the photos and slapped the page together to show you.

http://rawbeauty11.blogspot.ca/2015/12/ … ction.html

hope this helps.

Dec 15 15 02:40 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Apply the tattoo, then apply a *very* small amount of water-based glycerin moisturizer (I use Clean&Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer). Let it sink in for a bit, then dust with a fluffy powder brush E.L.F. High Definition Powder.

I use this on my bare (very oily) skin to dull shine, I think it would work well on a temporary tattoo. I'd do a demo for you but unfortunately have no temporary tattoos on hand!

Dec 15 15 05:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Raw-Beauty wrote:

I hope this would help. The following link contains the two photos of the method I had mentioned.  I had just taken the photos and slapped the page together to show you.

http://muasunny.blogspot.ca/2015/12/red … ction.html

hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this! It's a huge help.

Dec 15 15 05:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:
Apply the tattoo, then apply a *very* small amount of water-based glycerin moisturizer (I use Clean&Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer). Let it sink in for a bit, then dust with a fluffy powder brush E.L.F. High Definition Powder.

I use this on my bare (very oily) skin to dull shine, I think it would work well on a temporary tattoo. I'd do a demo for you but unfortunately have no temporary tattoos on hand!

Thank you for recommending products that I've a) heard of and b) can pick up cheaply from a local store. Thank you also for your willingness to do a demo.

I'm going to order a few temporary tattoos this weekend and do some tests!

Dec 15 15 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Tiffany_B wrote:
...I have no idea what EA is...

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour® Cream Skin Protectant

Tiffany I tried to be politically correct... but that obviously didn't work... You are out of your element... EA 8 hour is a staple of nearly all commercial makeup artist kits... has been for ages... And Dani B is one of the few remaining commercial artist on this board... bless her for sharing a tenured take on this...

Food for thought: Micro managing a shoot is possibly not in a team's best interest...
Have you considered joining a tenured team in your market?

Creative direction is primarily in the hands of an art director, lacking that either a clothing designer or the photographer in responsible charge since they are primary in a session or hold copyright to the imagery... Wardrobe stylist like other industry craft services are well advised to stay within the narrow confines of their specific craft's focus... If this doesn't currently make sense in time rest assured it likely will...  And yes I'm a licensed makeup artist but grew weary of maintaining parallel profiles...

Once again, all the best on your journey Tiffany...

Dec 16 15 05:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour® Cream Skin Protectant

Tiffany I tried to be politically correct... but that obviously didn't work... You are out of your element... EA 8 hour is a staple of nearly all commercial makeup artist kits... has been for ages... And Dani B is one of the few remaining commercial artist on this board... bless her for sharing a tenured take on this...

Food for thought: Micro managing a shoot is possibly not in a team's best interest...
Have you considered joining a tenured team in your market?

Creative direction is primarily in the hands of an art director, lacking that either a clothing designer or the photographer in responsible charge since they are primary in a session or hold copyright to the imagery... Wardrobe stylist like other industry craft services are well advised to stay within the narrow confines of their specific craft's focus... If this doesn't currently make sense in time rest assured it likely will...  And yes I'm a licensed makeup artist but grew weary of maintaining parallel profiles...

Once again, all the best on your journey Tiffany...

Thomas simply put, this doesn't affect you and responses like yours are largely why I utilize this forum as a last result whenever I have a question about something that isn't wardrobe. It is possible to provide advice/input about the question being asked and not feel the need to make assumptions about how a person works or how you believe they should work

In all of my posts in this thread I've been upfront about the fact that I'm not a make-up artist, heck I don't even really wear it in my day to day life, so I don't know all the lingo or most of the products because I generally have no need for this information (BTW you'll note there's an MUA in this thread who didn't know what EA was either so apparently you don't all get a handy dandy decoder guide at the end of your MUA secret initiation rituals). I also noted that there are grand total of 14 make-up artists with a reasonable distance (25 miles) which would be fine accept for the fact that the large majority of them haven't logged on in months (you're certainly free to do a quick search and check the veracity of that yourself, the parameters are MUA, Bethlehem, PA, 25 miles). Beyond that there is a chance that all of them could be available and that none of them could actually know how to do this because it's not like working with temporary tattoos is a day to day thing for MUAs so they'd be guessing right here along with me, the only difference being that they may be able to do what you did and recommend an anti-shine product.

Additionally, you don't know me personally and so I understand you not knowing what I'm capable of or how I actually work. On 99% of the shoots I've been on I've been responsible for art direction, pulling wardrobe and pulling together the team and so I'm well aware of the need for everyone to know their role and to be able to perform. I'm also a staunch advocate for a full team. Notice I never said on the shoot that there wouldn't be an MUA (there will be) but she's new and I'd rather have someone who's just starting out and upfront about their limitations than some pompous professional who forgets that everyone starts somewhere and that their way isn't the only correct way to do something.

The sky will not fall if I attempt this and it doesn't work. I'm not online asking how do a DIY brain tumor removal or even how to do a real tattoo. No one is going to be adversely affected by this and since I'm going to do a test before the actual shoot (on my own skin so no worries about any models being harmed in the process or any photographers wasting their time) in the absolute worst case scenario it doesn't work and I'll repurpose the temporary tattoos for a craft project and count whatever make-up purchased as a minor loss. If it's my project and I'm okay with this then I don't really see why it should be an issue for anyone else.

Finally, I don't style full time so when I take on projects now they're things I'm passionate about (or they have to pay) and in the case of the former I'm willing to be more flexible because I've learned that the journey isn't any fun (for me) without taking the scenic route.

Dec 16 15 08:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

I'm so sorry for my abbreviated references. Yes, BB=Beauty Blender, EA=Elizabeth Arden and BN=Ben Nye. My bad.

Dec 17 15 08:37 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
I'm so sorry for my abbreviated references. Yes, BB=Beauty Blender, EA=Elizabeth Arden and BN=Ben Nye. My bad.

No need to apologize at all! I got one out of three (BN) and learned some new terms smile

Dec 17 15 10:37 am Link