Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Bridal makeup advice

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

ok this is a long one to stay with me.

1. lets just get this part out of the way, I am looking for a good ring light or some type of light to bring with me to my bridal jobs because i am often stuck in a room that has horrible lighting.... what do you guys have? and how much did you pay for it? it must be able to stand on its own. no handheld lights.

2. I need to know why my makeup looks amazing in person but the second i pull out my camera its not that great, i can hardly see the blush and the foundation doesn't look as amazing in photos i can't explain exactly what it is. my camera is a sony A5100 nothing crazy. my usual foundations the i use are the RCMA palette and Temptu SB airbrush makeup. I use the primers that go with the foundations and sometimes i set with a translucent powder (from taste but the flashback sucks so i try to use as little as possible, but its the only one that looks best in person because its so fine) do i need to add an extra layer of foundation?? i just like that it always looks like real skin up close and not like cake so I'm afraid to add more.

3. Sometimes when i set the makeup with powder it often looks dry/cakey around the eyes and forehead. I've heard that mac fix plus helps that, I've never tried it but i also heard its not great for setting makeup for long wear. would i be able to use the urban decay all nighter spray over it??

i will take any and all advice!!!!!

Dec 14 15 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jackie McClay wrote:
Bridal makeup
1. lets just get this part out of the way, I am looking for a good ring light or some type of light to bring with me to my bridal jobs because i am often stuck in a room that has horrible lighting.... what do you guys have? and how much did you pay for it? it must be able to stand on its own. no handheld lights.

Jackie; ring lights are for YouTube makeup videos...  Maybe not so good for commercial production work...

In my humble estimation there is no kit better on the market than the GLAMCOR Classic Elite Light Kit

Free Standing
Daylight Balanced...
Two (not one) illumination panels to allow an ideal illumination pattern on either side of the face...
Cheap? Not really, however you'll easily pay for it with a couple of high end bridal gigs...

It's designed for makeup artist, NOT so much for YouTubers... or photographers...
Love how it slides on and rides with my Zuca Pro...

Can't begin to train you in beauty genre on an internet forum...
Bottom line? The wedding shooter should know how to illuminate the wedding party, it's not in a bridal makeup artist job description... Get the Wedding shooter's card and follow up on getting imagery.... DO NOT ask the bride for pics that is sooooo tacky...

Ok here is what I use as a backup when the photographer is lame...
Have a lit' Nikon D7000 with a cheap but awesome 50mm f/1.8D 
Have the talent stand between the two GLAMCOR Classic Elite Lights (LED's)
This 45 degree illumination pattern is precisely what is used for copy work...
Results in no shadows, no blown out highlights... 
Use medium GLAMCOR power setting
Set the Mode to Aperture Priority
Set the Lens to f/4
Set the ISO to 200
Set the White Balance to Auto
And lock focus on the eyes...
Works like a charm... sooooo much better than a ring light...

As for your Sony A5100... it should easily be up to the task...
Since it's a crop sensor a 50mm lens will work just fine...
Assume you have the 16mm to 50mm kit lens...
try setting it at 50mm for your beauty renderings... (effective 75mm, an ideal portrait lens)
Use the same parameters given above for the Nikon D7000

And yes MAC fix plus helps as does Urban Decay De-Slick...
But I seldom use it on brides, and De-Slick primarily for male grooming...

Excellence only comes with tenure Jackie...
I cringe thinking back a decade ago when I just got my license...
After 500 or so faces you'll wonder why initially it was such a challenge... lol

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey Jackie

Dec 14 15 02:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

hey Jackie, I hope the following might help.

1. you might want to invest in regular flash with swivel instead because it gives you flexibility allowing other uses.  Ring flash are likely going to limit you.  I am only saying this because based on your 2nd question regarding flash. A decent flash ranges around $200 - $300.

2. most often makeup looks different is due to direction and intensity of light. if you use the flash directly onto skin, the colour usually wash off around 20% (cannot remember exact number). a quick trick to try making the shot look better is try bouncing the light.  This also depends if your flash allows to be tilted/swiveled. You tilt the flash to bounce off card or wall giving and indirect flash to subject.

3. if skin looks dry/cakey after powder, it might be the clients skin is very dry.  best to moisturize skin first.  also if for more mature skin, try using waterbased products.

hope this helps.

Dec 15 15 02:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lou-femi

Alliston, Ontario, Canada

They have a photographer because they are the pro in that area.

I always ask where I will be stationed on the day when I do the trial. The number of blank looks is astounding. Flat out hiring you and liking you is about as far as most brides think about the MAU until we show up and they have to fir us somewhere. If you bring it up and talk it out early they have a chance to plan for you and the likelihood that you end up by a beautiful window in the kitchen, instead of the entrance to a walk in closet is way better.

Ask the bride when they will require you to start on the day when you meet at the trail and ask about the photographer at that time too. See if they will be there running around and snapping pictures of all the ladies getting ready. You can ask it off the cuff but if you know they will be there then ask them aside if they can snap a few test photos for you to see how it balances. You could have the best camera in the world but you don't know what settings they will be using, how they edit, what their post look is that got them hired.

It seems rather tacky and just a bit desperate to snap a picture of any of the bridal party when done. If no one is around to take pictures then have cards ready to leave.

Feb 02 16 09:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makiaz hair and makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi,

I have a portable makeup case with mirror and lights that i carry around with me. Purchased $350

Jackie McClay wrote:
ok this is a long one to stay with me.

2. I need to know why my makeup looks amazing in person but the second i pull out my camera its not that great, i can hardly see the blush and the foundation doesn't look as amazing in photos i can't explain exactly what it is. my camera is a sony A5100 nothing crazy. my usual foundations the i use are the RCMA palette and Temptu SB airbrush makeup. I use the primers that go with the foundations and sometimes i set with a translucent powder (from taste but the flashback sucks so i try to use as little as possible, but its the only one that looks best in person because its so fine) do i need to add an extra layer of foundation?? i just like that it always looks like real skin up close and not like cake so I'm afraid to add more.

3. Sometimes when i set the makeup with powder it often looks dry/cakey around the eyes and forehead. I've heard that mac fix plus helps that, I've never tried it but i also heard its not great for setting makeup for long wear. would i be able to use the urban decay all nighter spray over it??

i will take any and all advice!!!!!

Feb 15 16 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Our makeup team uses a case that has led lights in it.  I bought it from a store called pure beauty.  it was around $550.

Try to get in touch with the photographer ahead of time and have his second shooter do some before and after shots of the bride and who ever else your team is working on for the day.  Also ask to see some shots on the back of his camera.  This sometimes helps to make adjustments. 

Good luck.  I am a wedding photographer and love my mua's so much.  They are a big reason for my success.

Feb 15 16 10:09 pm Link