Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Get into Special Effects & Airbrush Technique

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

Hey MM,
I like cosmetics and want to learn Special Effects as well as Airbrush technique but how do I get started.
A really awesome makeup artist once told me to never go to school for makeup, but to instead work as an assistant to a Makeup Artist. Agree?

How do I find these artist that practice these techniques looking for assistants?

Jan 21 16 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mishelle portfolio wrote:
Hey MM,
I like cosmetics and want to learn Special Effects as well as Airbrush technique but how do I get started.
A really awesome makeup artist once told me to never go to school for makeup, but to instead work as an assistant to a Makeup Artist. Agree?

How do I find these artist that practice these techniques looking for assistants?

I disagree with the makeup artist that told you not to go to school. 

I have experience in both areas, school and on the field. Things you learn at school and on the field is different. 

The school you attend, training offered and instructor providing the training makes a huge difference. Sadly just about anyone can open their own "school" offering makeup lesson,etc, etc., (ie. College/Universities, Private Colleges, Private "school", Private lesson, etc). I recommend government approved community college and universities that are regulated because they follow strict guidelines and students need certain grades to pass.  Also, students cannot just pay for their certification - they need to meet the grades to pass.

On the field working experience is also different than what is usually taught in school.  More than often bad habits are used but in the field speed, efficiency and how much money is generally the focus.

Good luck on your journey.

Jan 22 16 05:58 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

SFX makeup artists deal with chemicals and products that can be DANGEROUS if not handled properly - both in mold making as well as application to a model.

For this reason a GOOD, Reputable SFX school or class is highly recommended.

Yes, many of us - including myself - learned SFX on our own. And subjected our models to some less-than-safe-practices in those early days. My models were LUCKY as my *experiments* in "this should work" did't do any real damage. Many of us know artists or models who can't say the same......

I never did take a SFX class, but I did a TON of self education from *real pro* resources and din't rely on you-tube "everybody else does it" regurgitation.

Eventually I was able to pair up with a trained SFX artist. WHAT A DIFFERENCE that makes.

I love to "tag team" with artists of different fields and "cross train".

Jan 24 16 09:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lisa Berczel wrote:
SFX makeup artists deal with chemicals and products that can be DANGEROUS if not handled properly - both in mold making as well as application to a model.

I definitely agree with Lisa on this.  There are products that can cause serious heal problems not only to yourself but to everyone around.  Example like cabosil which is commonly used can pose serious problems if inhaled.

Jan 24 16 10:10 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Raw-Beauty wrote:

I definitely agree with Lisa on this.  There are products that can cause serious heal problems not only to yourself but to everyone around.  Example like cabosil which is commonly used can pose serious problems if inhaled.

Yep.
Recently learned that rigid collodion can cause REAL scars if not used properly.

Then there are the frequent allergic reactions to latex.
Also had people be allergic to spirit gum.

Most of those untrained in SFX don't have a clue how long it takes do (adhesive drying time is mind numbing) or that it can take just as long to SAFELY remove an appliances as it did to apply them.

Jan 24 16 10:26 am Link

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

Okay, I'll research schools for SFX what about Airbrush? Are there dangers with the technique or can this be learned from someone in the business?

Jan 27 16 09:00 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Airbrush foundation and bodypaint can be learned from someone in the business. But, use some common sense.
Just as with traditional makeup, we've seen "bad habbits" taught one-on-one and in schools.

Quick pointers off the top of my head:
1) Don't let product dry in the airbrush.
2) Use a cleaner that is compatible with the product formula or you could have a real gummy mess on your hands.
3) Use a cleaner that you would wash your face with for regular end-of-day cleanup. IF and WHEN you need to use something harsher (say for a deep clean or clog) then clean the cleaner out.
4) Don't pour unused color back into the bottle. One of the major benefits of airbush is that we're not touching a skin with a tool/brush so that removes one pathway to cross-contamination. Pouring color back into a bottle opens up a risk of contamination....
5) Be mindful of what your air pressure (psi) setting is. No, you can't *tattoo* someone by forcing pigment under the skin, but the spray pattern can be quite painful if set too high or too close to the face. Pay particular attention when airbrushing around the eyes. You CAN force air & product under a closed eyelid if you're not careful, for example.
6) Don't use an alcohol based foundation/bodypaint on the face till you get some experience. It takes a stronger remover than soap and water and can sting if it gets into the eyes
7) Finally, resist the urge to DIY your own airbrush colors. Use a product designed for the airbrush when learning. There are MANY considerations that go into a well-behaved airbrush color. This removes 1 variable from the learning mix.

Jan 28 16 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Okay, I'll research schools for SFX what about Airbrush? Are there dangers with the technique or can this be learned from someone in the business?

The dangers include inhaling the mist/overspray (especially long term) and the usual allergen and eye contact issues as with any makeup. Good ventilation & filter mask is a must.

Sheridan College (western suburbs of Toronto) has a very good SFX program.
https://www.sheridancollege.ca/
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/pr … -and-props

pay scale?   see p51    (pdf)    (Florida = Maryland for this)
https://www.usa829.org/Portals/0/Docume … 2-2015.pdf

Jan 29 16 03:03 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
5) Be mindful of what your air pressure (psi) setting is. No, you can't *tattoo* someone by forcing pigment under the skin, but the spray pattern can be quite painful if set too high or too close to the face. Pay particular attention when airbrushing around the eyes. You CAN force air & product under a closed eyelid if you're not careful, for example.

Lisa, I don't think I have ever found reason to correct you. You are always spot on. But believe it or not, I have actually seen the results of a real Airbrush Tattoo that a guy gave himself as a stupid experiment. He had the PSI somewhere around 80 or so and apparently it hurt like hell (way worse than a real tattoo) and it looked like total crap. On top of that he was using some kind of ink...not a cosmetic. I think though, that to venture accidentally into this danger zone you would have to be criminally dumb (as this guy was) and have a model that was either stone drunk or out cold.

Jan 29 16 08:17 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

BodyPainter Rich wrote:

Lisa, I don't think I have ever found reason to correct you. You are always spot on. But believe it or not, I have actually seen the results of a real Airbrush Tattoo that a guy gave himself as a stupid experiment. He had the PSI somewhere around 80 or so and apparently it hurt like hell (way worse than a real tattoo) and it looked like total crap. On top of that he was using some kind of ink...not a cosmetic. I think though, that to venture accidentally into this danger zone you would have to be criminally dumb (as this guy was) and have a model that was either stone drunk or out cold.

Wow... that there is some serious dedication to stupid.

I've know people have been seriously injured by high psi air...

Suppose I should edit to say that you can't be tattooed under normal operating conditions of 0 to 35 psi working pressure...

Blarg.

Jan 29 16 09:48 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Lisa Berczel wrote:

Wow... that there is some serious dedication to stupid.

I've know people have been seriously injured by high psi air...

Suppose I should edit to say that you can't be tattooed under normal operating conditions of 0 to 35 psi working pressure...

Blarg.

ROFL! Exactly. Like I said, you were pretty much correct...but thought you might get a kick out hearing that I have seen evidence to the contrary. Needless to say...any artist with a conscience and a working brain has nothing to worry about.

Jan 29 16 10:51 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Schools are certainly a great and recommended why to learn SFX. That said think schools out of the box. Several top SFX artist I know school people thru private or very small classes and workshops and mentor, one does not nec have do dedicate a year or years and pay outrageous tuition to lean this field of study. Many of the industry's top artist are indeed self taught. While there are very important things to learn and know about any dangers, this information can be found in print and online.

I suggest first you network with SFX artists, and most esp artist in your area you can meet up with. Tale a few workshops at conventions and tradeshows before you spend $30,000 to $100,000 a year to learn.

Jan 30 16 11:07 am Link

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

Anyone knows about or recommends a school in South Florida to study SFX?

Will look for some Artists, not sure how to find them though.

Jan 31 16 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Anyone knows about or recommends a school in South Florida to study SFX?

Will look for some Artists, not sure how to find them though.

Google this phrase ---->      SFX makeup prosthetics florida

first page results include --
https://www.productionhub.com/directory … rida/miami
https://www.fxwarehouse.info/
http://www.cinemamakeup.com/programs/cl … p;panel1-1

Jan 31 16 07:55 pm Link