Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Retouching roots at home

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

I have dark brown hair and would like to know about the formula needed to retouch my roots and cover grey at home as I hear box dye aren't recommended or good for the hair and don't always have time to go to the salon to retouch.

Feb 19 16 04:31 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

I get a good amount of compliments on my haircolor, and it is amazingly inexpensive. I use organic mountain henna, which is under $10 a box, and allows me about 4-5 root touchups (I do that about every two and half weeks) I'm 46, so likely do have a bit of gray, but it seems to cover it all well. I've read for very white/gray hair they sell a pre-henna treatment (also henna I think but used as a neutral hue base coat before you choose your preferred color).

The color I use is bright red (which looks natural, not a punky red), but there are tones that are simply different shades of brown up to black. I like it because there's no toxic chemicals, and it doesn't strip the hair follicle. I think it's marketed as semi permanent, but I find it pretty much permanent. When I do the roots, the wash out seems to refresh the rest of the color nicely. I also use it on my eyebrows.

I mix it with warm water and coconut oil until it has a muddy consistency, put gloves on and just massage it into my roots and hairline, wait about a half hour (or more if I have time) rinse, wash out and condition. For brighter enhancement I sometimes use Aveda Madder Root color conditioner (they have a variety color conditioners for about 20 bucks that help keep the color strong, but it's not necessary--the henna does it's job nicely).

Just DON'T use any metal in the mixing of the product-it can affect the color and possibly turn it green. Or so I read. I just use a plastic spoon and cup.

Feb 19 16 07:39 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

Extra note: I just reread your post and you wanted something between appointments. Henna in that case isn't the best as I don't think it is good to mix with other types of chemically dyed hair. That said I did transition out of chemically dyed hair with henna and didn't seem to notice much problems. Probably because I let a good amount of inches grow out before I did so.

Henna is great as 100% color maintenance though. At least that's been my experience.

I do see at salons sprays and powder compact boxes that you apply root touch up powder as a cosmetic coverup. My sister has that for her salon platinum colored hair, and she likes it.

Feb 19 16 07:45 pm Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

I will try it out, appreciate your help!

Feb 22 16 07:56 am Link

Model

Vanessa Chanel

Miami, Florida, US

What color do you recommend for me?

Brown or Red

Apr 03 16 01:30 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Vanessa Dior  wrote:
I have dark brown hair and would like to know about the formula needed to retouch my roots and cover grey at home as I hear box dye aren't recommended or good for the hair and don't always have time to go to the salon to retouch.

As a model you are largely what you look like which means working to ensure a consistency in your look. Personally in your position I would make the time to go to the salon for that exact reason, however if you cannot then this is a conversation you need to be having with your regular hairstylist as they're familiar with 1) what product(s) they're already using in your hair, and 2) your hair texture and type. This is important because while all boxed dyes aren't bad (and I'm genuinely curious as to where you got that information), they won't all provide you with the same results, and if done incorrectly many will not look natural and can cause you some issues. Talking to your personal hairstylist will likely mitigate any ill effects as he or she can steer you in the right direction.

Apr 03 16 04:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

I would highly recommend that you see a professional.

Apr 04 16 08:05 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

I would highly recommend NOT using henna dye on your hair. If you use any other dye like at the salon after your hair will completely melt off from the line of demarcation.

Apr 20 16 01:28 am Link