Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Nails - beauty

Photographer

Sara Perreira

Fall River, Massachusetts, US

Hi guys,

When looking at various nail campaigns, I can't tell if they use real or fake nails. Any input?

Thanks!

Mar 21 16 10:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's likely going to be dependent on the campaign and the team involved. For shoots where the nails are much more elaborate e.g. those specifically featuring nail art, it's likely that the nails are fake and done by the nail artist beforehand because that type of work can be incredibly intricate.

Mar 21 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

if you work with hand models and top nail technicians - you can't tell the difference.

first, great hand models have perfect hands. that means the nail beds are deep and well formed. they spend lots of money & time keeping them in good shape. they have perfect nails. a few i know put lotion on their hands and wear long gloves to sleep. they don't wash dishes nor do gardening. their hands are worth money.

second, i was fortunate enough to work with a great nail tech. the first time i watched her do acrylic nails - it was like watching magic. having watch others pickup the powder with overly wet brush and they push a too thin or too thick mixture trying to keep the shape. this girl would precisely load the brush with the correct amount of liquid, touch the pink powder which formed the correct sized ball on the brush and was the correct texture - not thin so it would not hold shape, not too thick so it would not spread properly - but it then was applied on to the prepared natural nail, controlled so the right amount of acrylic, spread from the cuticle to the finger end. then she did the same with a slightly smaller glop of white powder at the tip to the right length. both being the correct consistency, it was almost dry and all she had to do was bend the side edges a bit with her fingers to get the correct shape and file the end. it looks absolutely natural.

there was no hesitation or fooling around pushing the mixture around like some other techs. it was kinda like watching a dance, perfectly choreographed. an amazing thing to watch. have also watched her do glue on nails. she preps them each by hand to the correct shape for each finger. is so precise with shape, amounts of glue and attention to detail it always fascinates me just watching her work.

Mar 21 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sara Perreira wrote:
...nail campaigns, I can't tell if they use real or fake nails....

Likely the mark of a highly skilled (and licensed) nail tech... While I haven't shot an actual "nail campaign" I have done well over a hundred beauty genre sessions... If in the rare case a talent has perfectly shaped and maintained nails then that is the default... Clear coat is always preferred...

For ornate nail decor I now go with Gel Tips... professionally done (there is an excellent Vietnamese salon within walking distance to my studio) and they know precisely what my visual statement is... Yes Gel typically cost more than Acrylic but they are far safer... not prone to issues of nail bed damage i.e. potential for fungus and bacteria growth... no harsh solvents (pregnant women should avoid Acrylics) and aesthetically Acrylic do not appear anywhere nearly as natural as Gel...

But Acrylics are cheap thus have become ubiquitous... 

But wait!  Gels have issue also, they aren't as tough as Acrylics (prone to breakage) and more importantly they have to be filed off professionally... There is not another option, you have to have a nail tech experienced in Gels to remove them... period.

Important Caveat!  Make certain to ask the talent if they have had nail tips before... I once sent a newbie minor to the salon for Gel Tips and all went well... her nails looked fabulous however a couple of days after the shoot I get a call that she is in serious pain... turned out she's a nail biter... and had chewed into her nail beds... had to pony up the cost of an emergence removal... was really shaken up by this experience... the safety and welfare of the talent is paramount... I always asked if they've had nails done before first...

You've been warned... Please don't let the aforementioned happen on your watch, k?

Hope this helps...
All the best...

Edit: Just saw Leonard's post +1 
He is spot on... like most of the arts, it is the experience and tenure of the nail tech that matters here...
And yes in major market there are hand models... but wonder about Acushnet, Massachusetts albeit Boston might be an option... Have to smile about the handcreams and cotton gloves... I do the same since I'm a bridal makeup artist I have to keep my fingertips silky soft... the handcream/glove routine works magic... should be SOP for all MUAs

Mar 21 16 07:40 pm Link