Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Lash Extensions - What to use, what not to use

Makeup Artist

Amanda Espinoza

Milpitas, California, US

I am doing a makeup for a bride who has lash extensions.  I've read that I need to avoid using a variety of products, like waterproof mascara as it can damage the lashes and lead to lash fall out.  I'd appreciate hearing from other MUA that have worked with clients that have lash extensions, what products they have used and any tips and tricks! 

Thanks in advance,
Amanda

Mar 22 16 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amanda Espinoza wrote:
...what products...

Amanda powdered eye shadow product is fine... creams are not...
Take care with oil base foundations such as RCMA (vegetable oil based) which if coming in contact with the lash extension glue can loosen it... 

Amanda Espinoza wrote:
...any tips and tricks?

Amanda I use a "classic" cake water activated eyeliner (babe cake by benefit) for mascara... it is a duo brown/black  I use the brown for male grooming (blond eyebrows which virtually disappear on camera) and black for mascara... takes a lit' practice to mix this to a heavy slurry but it works like magic... I've had this cake duo for years, and it will likely out last my professional career... And to think about all the money women spend on liquid mascara... it's totally crazy...

btw have a colleague who mentioned that lash extension vendors typically sell their own brand of mascara with the lashes... claim its compatible with their adhesive... I don't risk it... if the client showers then water based mascara is totally safe...

Enjoy your bridal gig...

Mar 26 16 02:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Amanda Espinoza

Milpitas, California, US

Thank you, Thomas!  I definitely appreciate the advice!

Mar 26 16 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Amanda Espinoza

Milpitas, California, US

Amanda Espinoza wrote:
...any tips and tricks?

Amanda I use a "classic" cake water activated eyeliner (babe cake by benefit) for mascara.

I noticed this product was discontinued.  How would you compare it to La Femme's cake mascara?

Thanks!

Mar 26 16 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amanda Espinoza wrote:

Amanda Espinoza wrote:
...any tips and tricks?

Amanda I use a "classic" cake water activated eyeliner (babe cake by benefit) for mascara.

I noticed this product was discontinued.  How would you compare it to La Femme's cake mascara?

Thanks!

Yes, sadly I've noticed it not being available at Sephora now...
I'm certain any water activated cake eye liner will work just fine...
Both Sephora cast members and MAC reps will demo products for you...
Let them know about the lash extension issue but be advised they may try to up sell you on a more pricy product...
btw, it's there job to do so...  gota make quotas... lol

Mar 26 16 02:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monica Caplan Makeup

Utica, New York, US

If her lash extensions are in good shape maybe avoid the mascara on them altogether if they don't need it.  I do a lot of eyelash extensions and wear them as well, if she may be a crier (I've had brides lose it during the trial halfway through,noooo!)  you could use waterproof only on her bottom lashes, and if you do use mascara on the extensions perhaps regular only on the ends/tips- that is what I do everyday with mine and never have a problem with it.  I hope I explained that right. I also never use waterproof mascara on mine.  There is a product I use all the time which can re-tame unruly lashes LIKE mascara (for if some of the lashes go a little awry) -but is made specifically for extensions and it's called "the conditioner" by The Lashe, she would likely be super impressed if you introduced her to it and you could sign up for the discount and get it for much cheaper than listed on the site.  Might be worth to keep in your kit if you run into a lot more lashed brides/clients. (I don't work for them and am not trying to sell you anything, I just love it, lol -  Hope this helps

Apr 16 16 12:23 am Link