Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Bridal Makeup?

Makeup Artist

beautybykatealece

Sacramento, California, US

I was wondering if you all did anything different with a bride than with a normal makeup (ie prom)
I know it has to look good in photos, and generally brighten up the complexion, usually a sort of "natural glam" look.
But besides that...?
Feel free to look in my port and tell me if any of those looks would be suitable for a bride! I'm just curious because I've had several brides to be contact me and I've always referred the elsewhere as I've never done "bridal makeup" before. Any tips would be appreciated! I would have linked some photos here but I'm still unsure how to do that :p Thanks!

Apr 06 16 03:36 pm Link

Model

Jacquelyn Marie

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Two photos that look more bridal in your port would be the graduation makeup and the natural makeup look. The biggest thing with bridal makeup is making sure there's no flashback in photos (SPF can cause this). You also want long lasting products (lipstick can last longer by using a lip pencil all over the lips or putting lipstick on then a tissue over it and dust with translucent powder), long wear foundation, setting spray, waterproof mascara/liner. Also keep in mind you may have to add more color because it will pop more in photos. The best way I'd describe most bridal looks is soft glam. Beautiful glowing skin, full lashes etc. Hope this helps you!

Apr 07 16 12:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monica Caplan Makeup

Utica, New York, US

Jacquelyn Marie wrote:
Two photos that look more bridal in your port would be the graduation makeup and the natural makeup look. The biggest thing with bridal makeup is making sure there's no flashback in photos (SPF can cause this). You also want long lasting products (lipstick can last longer by using a lip pencil all over the lips or putting lipstick on then a tissue over it and dust with translucent powder), long wear foundation, setting spray, waterproof mascara/liner. Also keep in mind you may have to add more color because it will pop more in photos. The best way I'd describe most bridal looks is soft glam. Beautiful glowing skin, full lashes etc. Hope this helps you!

You took the words out of my mouth esp about the SPF .  I do a lot of brides, and typically use RCMA as my go to foundation and thin it out if they don't need much.  Also agree about the color- explain to the bride that she has to be as "big as the dress" which is my go to phrase, if brides don't have enough color they will look extremely washed out in photos, if you do a trial with her, take some photos (NEVER with a flash directly in front of her face or it will look super light and washed out, use portable flash or no flash, so if she takes out her iphone and starts flashing her face, she will think it's too light)  and send her the photos.  Also, take her outside and be sure you show her how she looks in natural light, (also the most unforgiving so blend blend blend that neckline) - 90% of brides I come across want that same glow-ey bride look with popping shimmery eyes, huge lashes and flawless skin.  A lot of brides like the water proof tattoo cover option as well, derma color by kryolan is great for this and they have palettes with every shade (you'll never go through a whole one)  Just make sure you get the finishing powder to waterproof/transfer-proof it so it doesn't come off on everyone she hugs.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Apr 16 16 12:13 am Link