Forums > Model Colloquy > Nudes or no nudes? That is the question.

Model

Onora Nox

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I am very new to the modeling world, I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin, not that I don't love my body, because I do, just don't want the world seeing my everything's. So, What are your opinions on nude modeling? Is it a nessesity for models to go nude in order to be noticed?

Apr 06 16 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

It sure doesn't hurt your modeling career,  but it could kill your other career,  especially if you work at a K-12 school.

Apr 06 16 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

The willingness for some exposure can definitely help.The majority of working models are open to varying degrees of nudity with the right team and goals.
However, that said. The quality of the work (photography, styling, etc) becomes significantly more important, in how you're perceived as a result.

Apr 06 16 09:52 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Depends on who you want to be "noticed" by. You're short so ford isn't gonna come knocking no matter what you do. If you're not naked playboy won't notice you. Who or what do you want to model for? Is their work frequently featuring nudity? If yes....well.

If you mean you want to be popular and/or make money, yes, nudity is pretty much it in the freelance world.

Apr 06 16 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

If you are not comfortable posing nude, you definitely shouldn't.
If you are feeling urge to get naked to get noticed as a model, it means you don't have much to offer fully dressed either.
If you want to get naked to simply make money off photographers, it's not going to last very long.

Only you can (and should for that matter) decide. Best of luck.

Apr 06 16 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:
Is it a necessity for photographers to go nude in order to be noticed?

Apr 07 16 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Gene Cannon

Wendell, North Carolina, US

Personally, I much prefer implied nudes over full nudes ... this leaves more to the imagination of the viewer!

Apr 07 16 02:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I know that it is a very small market on Model Mayhem, but if you do pose nude, you can also get hired by painters and sculptors!

Apr 07 16 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I looked at your portfolio, you have views and even comments.  So, you've been noticed.

You want more work? If you want it in horror you'll have to spend time marketing yourself. It's a genre with a smaller subset of photographers working in it. You'll have to become the expert on finding them.

Or, drop your clothes and you'll get work offers with less bother searching for them.

As you suspected, it really is like that.

Apr 07 16 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

You will certainly get more work if you take your clothes off.  But it's your choice, don't feel that you have to be naked. 
Half of my models don't do nudes and that's fine with me.  It makes me come up with different scenarios and that's part of the fun (creatively)

Apr 07 16 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This is a personal decision for you.  Most nude models are very comfortable posing nude.
You don't seem to be comfortable modeling nude.

Apr 07 16 05:34 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:
I am very new to the modeling world, I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin, not that I don't love my body, because I do, just don't want the world seeing my everything's. So, What are your opinions on nude modeling? Is it a nessesity for models to go nude in order to be noticed?

If you do not want to show your skin, the don't. If you will not be comfortable showing your skin then it will likely show and in all reality, what kind of shoot would it be if you were hating what you were doing?

I linked to an article on my profile that I read from here and its true for myself, modeling nude is a positive thing. I did my first nude shoot at over 45 and just a month before I still thought that it wouldn't be for me and that I didn't want to show skin...didn't like my body and all that stuff. Then I took ownership of it and realized that I did want to do this thing and it was self reclaiming and empowering. You have control over how you model yourself. If you don't want to, then do not do it for anyone other than yourself. Doing it for money isn't worth it because then you are only selling yourself out. Do it because you want to only.
Jen

Apr 07 16 05:53 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
I looked at your portfolio, you have views and even comments.  So, you've been noticed.

You want more work? If you want it in horror you'll have to spend time marketing yourself. It's a genre with a smaller subset of photographers working in it. You'll have to become the expert on finding them.

Or, drop your clothes and you'll get work offers with less bother searching for them.

As you suspected, it really is like that.

I noticed the horror themed portfolio and wasn't sure how nudes fit in there but, it is a genre I know nothing about anyways.

Jen

Apr 07 16 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Figures Jen B wrote:

I noticed the horror themed portfolio and wasn't sure how nudes fit in there but, it is a genre I know nothing about anyways.

Jen

Nudes can fit with horror, or not, it just depends on the vision. I always shoot nudes and have horror elements in my work, along with erotic and fetish elements. For me, it all folds in together because that's my vision.

For the o.p. she's got a different take.

It's the same basic problem for anyone who wants to pursue a specific or narrower vision rather than be a generalist - you have to spend more time on the outreach to find the people who are agreeable to going along with your view and desires.

For me, without outreach, I just get the pro independents approaching me with the $100 per hour rates and talk about their schedules and limits (and the occasional very enthusiastic but perhaps not realistic fan). Since I'm looking for people extremely committed, ready to try virtually anything I come up with with  at $15-$25 per hour; it's a small set of models who are really useful. It takes outreach.

Same problem in a different way for the o.p. She seems to like this slinky, sophisticated vamp/camp thing. It's specific, and she'll have to work a lot on outreach to find the small number of people who will go along with her vision. It's doable, but it takes extra work.

Apr 07 16 06:31 am Link

Photographer

NG Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Depends on who you want to be "noticed" by. You're short so ford isn't gonna come knocking no matter what you do. If you're not naked playboy won't notice you. Who or what do you want to model for? Is their work frequently featuring nudity? If yes....well.

If you mean you want to be popular and/or make money, yes, nudity is pretty much it in the freelance world.

+1

Apr 07 16 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:
I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin.

Nude modeling is not for everyone.  There is nothing wrong with you saying "no" to nudes, but don't be surprised if you can't get work with photographers who are looking to photograph the nude.  If you ask me what is the most attractive aspect of a model, I'd say "confidence".  I prefer making pictures of the nude when the model is very enthusiastic about the process.

Supermodel Helena Christensen once compared posing nude to getting a tattoo -- it's a decision that will follow you for the rest of your life.

Finally, I love photographing the nude.  It is an especial challenge to find nude models and to make images that are interesting & exciting.  Many models feel similar.  And many models would just walk around nude all day.

Good luck.

Apr 07 16 07:46 am Link

Model

jnkl

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
However, that said. The quality of the work (photography, styling, etc) becomes significantly more important, in how you're perceived as a result.

QFT.

As a general rule, never do something you're not comfortable with.

Apr 07 16 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I agree with those who say "Don't do it if you don't like it," but that raises the question, "How do you know whether you like it or not if you don't try it?"

Although as a photographer I rarely shoot with anyone that doesn't shoot nudes, as a model I've shot nude only once, and that for a gallery project that particularly interested me.  While I wasn't particularly uncomfortable with it and both the shoot and the showing were actually fun, I wouldn't go out of my way to find opportunities to pose nude.  (Good thing, too, at my age!)  I've shot with a number of models who were quite happy to pose nude so long as the pictures were not to be published, especially on the internet, and that has worked out well for both sides of the camera.  There's a whole big world out there beyond Facebook and Playboy and it includes a place for personal and artistic expression and satisfaction.

So, if you've never tried it and are curious as to whether or not you might enjoy it, you might want to seek our one or more photographers who would be agreeable to similar restrictions and make that determination.  Then, it's just a matter of deciding which markets will adequately support your decision, and I think you already have the answer to that.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 07 16 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Models willing to do nude work are overall in much more demand on MM and are much more able to line up paid shots.

However, doing something you are obviously uncomfortable doing won't benefit you or those you shoot with.  Would you become more comfortable with nudes after a couple shoots?  Nobody here knows you well enough to say.  You have a better sense of that than anyone here.

Apr 07 16 08:37 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Onora  Nox  wrote:
I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin, not that I don't love my body, because I do, just don't want the world seeing my everything's.

I'd suggest that you've pretty well answered your own question.  If you're not comfortable with it, it's likely going to show in the results / photos. That will directly affect the demand for you in that area (if you "did it anyway", so to speak).

Do something because you want to do it and you're good at it.  Otherwise the competition will likely be pretty rough, anyway.  There are just too many models that love to do nude work and are very good at it.

Doing an occasional modelling gig for fun (and/or a little money when the opportunity presents itself), might be a better solution.  Sadly the non-nude paid opportunities get tougher to find as they tend to have various restrictions attached (height, age, etc).  Not fair, I know, but that often tends to be the case.

Good luck!

Apr 07 16 09:07 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Onora  Nox wrote:
I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin

R.EYE.R wrote:

+1
End of the discussion. Really, all the rest, don't matter.

Onora  Nox wrote:
What are your opinions on nude modeling?

Generally speaking I think they offer another option, so more flexibility, from the photography side.

Apr 07 16 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:

Many models start out not doing nudes.  It's a personal decision.  Whatever floats your boat is cool.

However, many models who start out not doing nudes, become more comfortable with themselves and with professional photographers that they work with and end up having a change of heart and start doing nudes as they become more comfortable with modeling. 

Just go with what you are comfortable with.  You will find that a number of photographers and film producers produce material that is dark and edgy and involves nudity.  You may end up opening your mind and your feelings about nudity if that is an genre that is of interest to you.

Apr 07 16 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I am going to play the contrarian card here.

I don't shoot often, have not worked with a large number of subjects.

I've worked with 5-6 women who expressed that they did not want to pose nude, ever. One friend of mine said she would never pose nude on three different occasions during conversation that was nothing to do with her modeling for me at all. Then one day she said "How come you've never asked me to pose for you?" I still had never mentioned shooting nudes when our shoot occurred but there were only a couple of photos made before she disrobed and the rest of the shoot she was nude.

ALL of the above mentioned women initiated shoots with me and took off all of their clothing to be photographed. They said they did not want to model nude but they really did want to try it. We got some nice images, great memories for their later years perhaps - "Looky here you young whippersnappers, Grandma used to be HOT!!!". Or something. smile

I am not saying you are like them but I do suspect it could be a possibility. My advice is to consider hiring a photographer that you know and trust to work with you on a nude session. That way you are in control of who does or does not get to see the images. It is a chance for you to explore and find out how you really feel about posing nude. You may love it, many do enjoy it and prefer shooting nude to wearing clothing.

Ball's in your court, play it as you wish.

Apr 07 16 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

alessandro2009 wrote:

Seeing this response is tiring and troublesome.  It is also bullshit. 

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to shut down discussion.

If you have nothing more to say, sit down and shut up.  Let others have the opportunity to express their opinions, which may be quite different than yours.

Apr 07 16 09:49 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I agree with those who say "Don't do it if you don't like it," but that raises the question, "How do you know whether you like it or not if you don't try it?"

While overall I think your response is reasonable and measured in general, the OP doesn't seem to be trying to decide if she'd like shooting nudes, she's trying to decide if she needs to shoot nudes to get noticed.

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I've shot with a number of models who were quite happy to pose nude so long as the pictures were not to be published... So, if you've never tried it and are curious as to whether or not you might enjoy it, you might want to seek our one or more photographers who would be agreeable to similar restrictions and make that determination.

Again, that won't help her get noticed if the photographs can't be seen by anyone other than the two parties involved.

Onora  Nox  wrote:
I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin...
just don't want the world seeing my everything's.

To me this just screams don't do it. The potential ramifications are not the same as say trying oysters or trying yoga.

Apr 07 16 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:

It is your body, your decision.  It is not the decision of your BF, parents, photographer or strangers to make.  You don't like to show too much of skin, I don't blame you.  My daughter is even worse, she does not like to pose for pictures.  Yes, she is very beautify. She is also a young MD and has no interest being a model whatsoever.  So there you are.

Having said that, I don't like to work with models have many no this and no that.  But I would never ask any models to shoot nudes when their profile says no to nude.  There are plenty models who love to shoot nudes, why bother to ask someone who are not ready for the role. 

Nude is so overrated.  Don't shoot nude for other people or for money.  Do it for yourself and true to your core.

Good luck.

Apr 07 16 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Doesn't sound like it's right for you. It will close the door on some paying opportunities, but there are plenty more if you put the work in.

Apr 07 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

At 31 and only 5'1" . . . .  what are your other options ?

Apr 07 16 11:31 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to shut down discussion.

Let others have the opportunity to express their opinions, which may be quite different than yours.

Of course everyone is free to express their opinions but a discussion require at its base the will to change and/or consider different possibilities, essentially an open position respect to the starting point, differently from what happen on this case. (1)

Assuming to be succeeded to clear up any misunderstandings, reading your sentence, and wanting to keep an open mind, I want think that your rude comment, came from unpleasant situations that each of us is faced with in different subjects, often without choice, which sometimes can lead in stances and / or interpretations of certain sentence on a certain way, almost automatically.
Having said that I hope, for the future, that you have some more doubts before take certain interpretation and position and, in general, moderating the tones, for a more civil "cohabitation".

1) This is just a simple statement of fact, don't meant to be a criticism of the position of the OP, which it is free to make as it sees fit for her.

Apr 07 16 11:31 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

This is an entirely personal question that only you can answer. But I will give you this one bit of advice:

Do not shoot nudes based on the photographer’s willingness to pay you lots of money.

Shoot nudes based on the quality, taste, vision and experience of the photographer. That way if the images pop up later in your life (and they probably will) - at least they’ll be images you can be proud of.

Apr 07 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Onora  Nox wrote:
I don't or never have felt comfortable showing too much skin

R.EYE.R wrote:

alessandro2009 wrote:
+1

If you have nothing more to say, sit down and shut up.  Let others have the opportunity to express their opinions, which may be quite different than yours.

I don't see any problem with alessandro2009's reply.  It is straight honest answer since the OP said she does not feel comfortable of showing skin.  It is a close case. 

There are no reasons to butter her up.  What are your motives?  Do you want to be a white Knight and be friend with her so she can post nude for you?  She is 31 years old, she can handle the truth.  Give us a break!!!!  mad

Apr 07 16 11:55 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I've done photoshoots with a model who told me that when she began, she never thought she would be taking her clothes off for a photographer. However, she has gotten comfortable with it, and that is her genre now.

Apr 07 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
At 31 and only 5'1" . . . .  what are your other options ?

That is the reality.  Unlike Olympic gold medalists all they need to be the best what they do, but for a model, someone needs to like your look.

Apr 07 16 12:01 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:

Nudes can fit with horror, or not, it just depends on the vision. I always shoot nudes and have horror elements in my work, along with erotic and fetish elements. For me, it all folds in together because that's my vision.

For the o.p. she's got a different take.

Heck yes, your stuff is a different level. The op is who I'm talking about.

Jen

Apr 07 16 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Stephens III

Onora  Nox  wrote:

I think you've already answered your own question. If you don't feel comfortable posing nude then you shouldn't. At the end of the day you have to feel comfortable and confident about what you are doing. Otherwise you won't be able to deliver work that will satisfy yourself or your clients.

Apr 07 16 01:50 pm Link

Model

Onora Nox

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Wow, so many things to consider, thank you all so much for responding with honest and experienced opinions. Yes I am 31, starting a bit late in the game but I feel I still do have options with my creativity and make-up skills, I am however realizing through your post there won't be many chances for me to make a career out of my style of modeling. But for those who are experienced with nude modeling, what effect does it have on your personal life? Family, close friends, or finding a job while working on building a modeling career?

Apr 07 16 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Onora  Nox  wrote:
But for those who are experienced with nude modeling, what effect does it have on your personal life? Family, close friends, or finding a job while working on building a modeling career?

I'm going to suggest that you take advantage of the search function (https://www.modelmayhem.com/sitesearch/forums) instead of waiting for models to reply to your thread. There is a wealth of posts from experienced nude models in the various forum categories and the EDU section that pertain to exactly the questions you're asking.

Apr 07 16 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:
Wow, so many things to consider, thank you all so much for responding with honest and experienced opinions. Yes I am 31, starting a bit late in the game but I feel I still do have options with my creativity and make-up skills, I am however realizing through your post there won't be many chances for me to make a career out of my style of modeling. But for those who are experienced with nude modeling, what effect does it have on your personal life? Family, close friends, or finding a job while working on building a modeling career?

I have shot many models who sworn that they would never shoot nudes, and yet now they love shooting nudes.  For all the models who do nudes, none I have run into regret in their decision.  But regardless, that does not mean you should shoot nude.  You must have the passion to do nude, otherwise don't do it. 

Nudes are everywhere, just look around.  Who cares?  You should use an alias name for any nude work.  Keep it separate from your actual life.  Model is a job.   Unless you want to to be a grad school teacher, frankly who care.  Take your time to make the right decision for yourself, what is the rush.  Do it when your are 100% ready.  smile

Apr 07 16 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Onora  Nox  wrote:
Is it a nessesity for models to go nude in order to be noticed?

The most effective way to get noticed is to use MM's search function to find photographers within a reasonable distance and to send messages to those whose work interests you.

Even at only five messages a day, you can send 150 messages over the course of a month, which should be more than sufficient to get started.

Apr 08 16 04:21 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Onora  Nox  wrote:

I started modeling(nude right off the bat) in my mid 40's so I'm probably not typical. I was divorced with 2 children and not close to most of my family. I sell things on eBay and FB, I model, I catsit, etc for income. I only date men who are open minded and supportive of what I choose to do with my life. I find it cuts the wheat from the chaff. I do not tell every person I meet what I do, it's none of their business. This isn't a career for me, it's a hobby I enjoy.

Apr 09 16 05:14 pm Link