Forums > Newbie Forum > Should your bio be in third person?!

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

After looking through other models portfolios and profiles I decided my biography section on my profile was lacking. I decided to write my "About Me" section and then asked a friend to critique it. His opinion is that you shouldn't write about yourself in third person. I have seen it done both ways. Which is better in your opinion and why?

So update (I removed the previous bio so you all wouldn't poke fun at me anymore).

I removed all of the personal stuff, and am not writing about my self in third person. I hope other ladies see this and how much the photographers hate the third person way!!

I am open to feedback.

Mahalo,

Darcy

Apr 10 16 02:31 am Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

Personally I can't stand seeing people write in third person. Mostly because I don't buy it, so it just comes off as pretentious.

That's just me though, maybe some people do have others make or manage their profile...but generally I just picture the person typing it out trying to look important.

It's a networking site, not a professional website. But I make both as personal to me as I can. Approachable and real goes a long way.

Just my thoughts on it, best of luck! And much aloha! big_smile

Apr 10 16 03:05 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Point B sounds better. It reflects that you are confident about who you are and how your body is. Don't need a third person's viewpoint to put it all through smile

My 2 cents worth!

Apr 10 16 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

thatssodarcy wrote:
Aloha,

My name is Darcy Holcombe, I am a bikini competitor and model.   I have been featured on bodybuilding.com.

I hope to gain more experience and expand my modeling portfolio.

I am available for modeling, and local acting.

Mahalo,

Darcy

That's how I would do it.

Your personal stuff might be fine for Facebook, but for MM it is superfluous.

Apr 10 16 03:46 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Speaking about oneself in the third person is not normal.

If someone is using a introduction quoted from another source that refers to them in the third person and they tell you they are doing so, then it makes sense.

Whenever I read someone referring to themselves in the third person I can't help but think there is something going on that I want to avoid in them.

Jen
p.s. you can google "speaking about self in the third person," and see what you get.

Apr 10 16 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Third person only works when somebody else writes it.

You could quote somebody who has worked with you but the main text of your profile should always be first person.

Apr 10 16 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Bio's written in 3rd person on MM generally come across as "hokie"

Apr 10 16 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:
Personally I can't stand seeing people write in third person. Mostly because I don't buy it, so it just comes off as pretentious.
big_smile

I would go along with this - it looks bad, and pretentious. And MY opinion is the final word on the subject !
-Don

Apr 10 16 10:05 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Thanks guys! I was really confused because I have seen it done both ways. I googled it and asked friends. I defiantly am not a pretentious person and do not want to come across that way. It was hard for me to write anything like that to began with LOL

Thank you for the advice. I am going to use point b for now and probably update it/ change it when I can come up with something better to say.

Apr 10 16 10:13 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
Speaking about oneself in the third person is not normal.

It felt weird doing it. LOL Maybe others should get this memo, I am glad I asked.

Apr 10 16 10:14 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

PhotoKromze wrote:
Point B sounds better. It reflects that you are confident about who you are and how your body is. Don't need a third person's viewpoint to put it all through smile

My 2 cents worth!

Do you think I need to take out the personal stuff? Or should I leave it?

Apr 10 16 10:17 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:

That's just me though, maybe some people do have others make or manage their profile...but generally I just picture the person typing it out trying to look important.

It's a networking site, not a professional website. But I make both as personal to me as I can. Approachable and real goes a long way.

Just my thoughts on it, best of luck! And much aloha! big_smile

Thats exactly why I asked. I felt like Sandy Lyle in that movie Along Came Polly LOL

Apr 10 16 10:24 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Definitely not in third person, for the reasons others have already given.  A profile should read nicely, without giving the impression the person is bragging or pretentious.  Like Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet, "just the facts, ma'am."

You are OK including a little bit of personal information, but an entire profile shouldn't be filled with it.  Mine apparently breaks all the rules according to the experts on MM who have reviewed it for me, but it works really well and proves that there are no absolutes.

Apr 10 16 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
Definitely not in third person, for the reasons others have already given.  A profile should read nicely, without giving the impression the person is bragging or pretentious.  Like Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet, "just the facts, ma'am."

You are OK including a little bit of personal information, but an entire profile shouldn't be filled with it.  Mine apparently breaks all the rules according to the experts on MM who have reviewed it for me, but it works really well and proves that there are no absolutes.

Don't tell anyone, but I remember Sergeant Friday too.
-Don
EDIT: By the way, Darcy, I used to live in Honolulu too - nice place to live !

Apr 10 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

thatssodarcy wrote:

Take the personal stuff out. Put some plus points that you bring as a model (physique, yoga et al.) to the shoot. Turn that bio into an offer no photographer could refuse big_smile

Apr 10 16 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:

Exactly.  If I find a bio written in the third person I usually skip over it.

Apr 10 16 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

thatssodarcy wrote:

Too much personal stuff is not relevant to a photographer that is looking for a model.  I need to know things that are relevant to your ability as a model as this will determine if you are suitable for a project.  Details about your family, your hobbies, etc. don't tell me what I need to know.

Apr 10 16 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Writing in the third person is pretentious.  Not needed be real with people.  That is the most sincere and it always works.

Apr 10 16 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If you want to come across as a pompous ass, just write in the third person.  It really is that simple.

Apr 10 16 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Its called About Me, not About Her!!

Apr 10 16 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks to the OP for doing this thread, you have good instincts.

I'd love if this were a sticky. I HATE it when people do the third person thing!

Apr 10 16 07:48 pm Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Apr 11 16 01:59 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Flex Photography wrote:
Its called About Me, not About Her!!

Very good point.

Apr 11 16 01:59 am Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
If you want to come across as a pompous ass, just write in the third person.  It really is that simple.

+1        I skip them!

Apr 11 16 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Abbitt Photography believes writing in the third person is bad idea.  He says it comes across as pompous and pretentious. He says it makes people wonder why someone would be writing about themselves as if they were speaking about someone else.

Apr 11 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're writing your bio here, write it in first person.

Apr 11 16 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

thatssodarcy wrote:

IMO, the only thing you should take out is this:

I hope to inspire other women to take control over their health.

It's from personal experience with me. I've dealt with three or four models who declared their modeling efforts to be crusades of sorts to inspire other girls/women. Every one has been incredibly difficult and one was a certifiable psycho. I'm not saying you're difficult, much less a psycho, but I think you should refrain from giving your profile any hint of grandiosity. Simple is better.

Apr 11 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Apr 11 16 10:39 am Link

Model

Clementynejoy

Fayetteville, Georgia, US

I think you should take out the personal stuff.   It's unlikely  you will get hired because you lost weight.  This is a superficial industry.  Keep it professional and stick to the facts.  Why you are here and what you hope to achieve through MM.

Apr 11 16 11:08 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Orca Bay Images wrote:

thatssodarcy wrote:

IMO, the only thing you should take out is this:

It's from personal experience with me. I've dealt with three or four models who declared their modeling efforts to be crusades of sorts to inspire other girls/women. Every one has been incredibly difficult and one was a certifiable psycho. I'm not saying you're difficult, much less a psycho, but I think you should refrain from giving your profile any hint of grandiosity. Simple is better.

+1

Also this

I have lost over a 100lbs over the last couple of years, and have gained more confidence to be behind the camera

The photographer might not be interested in what you lost, but what you gained. Put a positive twist on it. And as a model, you are expected to be in front of the camera, not behind it smile

Apr 11 16 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Third person sucks.

Apr 11 16 12:12 pm Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Clementynejoy wrote:
I think you should take out the personal stuff.   It's unlikely  you will get hired because you lost weight.  This is a superficial industry.  Keep it professional and stick to the facts.  Why you are here and what you hope to achieve through MM.

Okay. I listened to advice and did.

Apr 12 16 02:30 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Also out of curiosity I read a lot of your bios. Seems like a lot of you need to take a look at what you have up as far as personal stuff goes. Thank you all for the advice. I am glad I asked, and hopefully someone else can learn from this or not have to wonder!

Apr 12 16 02:32 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
No third-person. Don't be a Jimmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoskJPD … tL494QIAFA

So funny. Okay so I changed it. I would have never had thought to put it in third person until I saw a few models with it... and then when I googled it I found something else that also said to do it in third person. I am definitely not a writer.

Apr 12 16 02:35 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

Maybe that simple for you but it was a serious question for me.

Apr 12 16 02:36 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Being the bio has changed IMO You now have too many 'I's

I am, I am, I am.

Should this thread be in Critique?

Apr 12 16 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

thatssodarcy wrote:
when I googled it I found something else that also said to do it in third person.

It would be fascinating to see that page. Do you still have a link to it?

Apr 12 16 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Third person sounds awkward, and not normal. It also makes your profile appear to be managed by someone else, which is a violation of the rules.

Your profile is a resume written in verse.

Apr 12 16 10:37 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

thatssodarcy wrote:
when I googled it I found something else that also said to do it in third person.

It would be fascinating to see that page. Do you still have a link to it?[/quote ]
http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-act … great-bio/
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/write-sh … 57289.html

There are a few more. I also read a article about first person vs third when I asked my question on here. 66% people who took part of a survey said first person and the rest said third. I guess it comes down to preference. I don't want to be viewed as a weirdo so I am keeping mine in first.

Apr 15 16 02:17 am Link

Model

thatssodarcy

Buffalo, Minnesota, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Being the bio has changed IMO You now have too many 'I's

I am, I am, I am.

Should this thread be in Critique?

No, because newbies do not (or I did not) know how to write a bio... I was asking what they prefer. Not to critique my work really.

Apr 15 16 02:19 am Link