Forums > General Industry > So who pays?!? (model / photographer)

Photographer

Justin Popp Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Up until this point I have very much been shooting to teach myself to one day make a little money doing this hobby. However after putting in the time I am finding it harder to book the shoots I want, while still getting paid.

I feel like the model/photographer relationship is a bit awkward as both want to be paid to do something that potentially the other can benefit from. This is where I see a lot of free work, or trade coming into play. Which does not pay a bill.

It seems a lot of models expect to be shot for pay, as they are the subject. I totally understand that.
However at what point does a photographer begin to have enough, I guess reputation and skill, to no longer have to take these free shoots?

At what point in your career did you see a turn around? When did model begin to approach you?

On the same topic, Models - When do you decide it is time to stop paying for portfolio shows, and start getting paid? Will you pay for shots after the point of being a "professional"? Or do you just wait for paid gigs to come?

I love shooting and regardless of income I will continue to do it, but I am just trying to understand the curve.

May 02 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I suggest you read this recent thread in this forum:  So who is paying who?

There is no easy answer.  I can say that I get a little uncomfortable when I see the photographer & model relationship become even a little contentious. 

In my case,
...  If believe that if I'm getting paid, everybody gets paid.
...  My web site brings in enough revenue to pay for generous modeling fees, web hosting, etc.

Your mileage may will vary.

May 02 16 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The client pays.  Always.

Sometimes the client is also the model.  For example, a model may need photos for a portfolio.  In that case the model pays.

Sometimes the client is also the photographer.  For example, a photographer may need a model to take part in stock photos that are to be sold later.  In that case the photographer pays.

May 02 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
The client pays.  Always.

Sometimes the client is also the model.  For example, a model may need photos for a portfolio.  In that case the model pays.

Sometimes the client is also the photographer.  For example, a photographer may need a model to take part in stock photos that are to be sold later.  In that case the photographer pays.

^^^^^^^
The definitive answer, IMHO.

As a photographer, I work TF only.  It has never seemed to me to be a viable business from the photographer's point of view--there are just too many other easier ways to make a living.

Even today, although there are few to none modeling jobs for a man my age unless including advertising jobs that for one reason or another come under SAG's domain, I almost always get paid for modeling work and then both the photographer and I are paid by a third party. 

As an actor, I generally get my headshots as part of TF arrangements.

May 02 16 02:19 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Justin Popp Photography wrote:
On the same topic, Models - When do you decide it is time to stop paying for portfolio shows, and start getting paid? Will you pay for shots after the point of being a "professional"? Or do you just wait for paid gigs to come?

After about a year and a half of portfolio-building, during which I was shooting consistently for trade between 1-3 days per week, I had a portfolio strong enough that people just started offering me paid work.

I did A LOT of trade, and it sort of took over my life to the point where I was having trouble holding down a mainstream job - before I started getting paid offers.

I did not set out with the intention of becoming a full-time model, traveling or working professionally. I set out in 2005 with the intention of just having a few "shits and giggles," doing something taboo (modeling nude) while I was still young enough to find people who'd be willing to work with me.

The first few "good" photographers I contacted for trade basically laughed me under the table, or just said "no thanks," because I was short and not particularly pretty-looking in the first, remarkably unflattering photos that beginner photographers took of me. So I also did a lot of terrible trade shoots for about six months, until I had some not-so-terrible ones, which led to pretty good ones, then finally strong images with decent photographers, and then paid work.

I paid my dues, so to speak.

May 02 16 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I have always been proud to be able to sell my photography to clients.  I shoot a very straight on (boring) photos that most people would not think of, think catalogue.   I never charged models.  I guess it is just pride that I work my ass to find paying projects.  It isn't that hard.  You need to attend fashion events and meet with potential clients.  Be prepared to have samples of work that they would be interested in.  If you don't know how to price yourself just ask the client for how he is paying at this time.  It might make you look uninformed but just explain your position that you want to be in the same ballpark of pricing.  Good luck.

May 03 16 05:42 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Up until this point I have very much been shooting to teach myself to one day make a little money doing this hobby. However after putting in the time I am finding it harder to book the shoots I want, while still getting paid.

I feel like the model/photographer relationship is a bit awkward as both want to be paid to do something that potentially the other can benefit from. This is where I see a lot of free work, or trade coming into play. Which does not pay a bill.

It seems a lot of models expect to be shot for pay, as they are the subject. I totally understand that.
However at what point does a photographer begin to have enough, I guess reputation and skill, to no longer have to take these free shoots?

At what point in your career did you see a turn around? When did model begin to approach you?

I love shooting and regardless of income I will continue to do it, but I am just trying to understand the curve.

There is something other than paying for models. Trade is why I am here. Although if you are tired of trade then I don't know what to recommend to you.

It is very rare for me to pay a photographer. I paid three times since 2012, (edited because of my math.) Once I ended with zero shots, the other time I learned a lot from the photographer/model and had a great experience and the third time I learned a lot also from the photographer and his team.

I have a tentative shoot for pay in the works but, my schedule isn't helping, (and it is with someone who does not make his bread and butter off of models.)

Jen

May 03 16 06:16 am Link

Model

Koryn

Jen B wrote:
I paid three times since 2012, (edited because of my math.) Once I ended with zero shots, the other time I learned a lot from the photographer/model and had a great experience and the third time I learned a lot also from the photographer and his team.

I have paid photographers a few times, and also paid for MUA services. In general, the results were lackluster and not in line with what I initially saw in the photographers' portfolios that made me want to pay their rates. One of them overlit the entire shoot, blew everything out and the photos I paid for were...eh...um...bad, though his port had been full of shiny, crisp commercial type images and tearsheets.

I also offered to pay someone last year, who had an outstanding commercial portfolio and was fairly well known. He turned down my offer of pay, and expressed interest in trade, to which I agreed, then he cancelled a couple days before the shoot - making the whole issue moot. I did set up several shoots like this last year, where they turned down my cash offers, expressing a preference for trade, then cancelled a day or two before.

May 03 16 06:56 am Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

If it is a TF none of us pay the other one. If the photographer wants me in his/hers portfolio I am happy to assist. A fresh portfolio on something else than statues, buildings and pets is usually good for both of us if we insist on the modelling field, wedding field etc.  So usually we reckon it as a win/win situation. If it is a TF I usually agree on it only if they deliver 10-20 % of the total photos being taken in high quality (good pictures and no low resolution). From that percentage I let the photographer decide how much he/she wants to retouch.

If someone wants to earn money on the work of someone else we discuss paid work or a percentage. For example I got an offer of 50% of every sold stockphoto on me. I didn't take the offer but I still have no objection about it since it was a fair offer. Sometimes I agree that photos can be a part of the payment.

So, with this norm I never have to face who is asking who for something and who needs to pay who.

I seldom face the problems many seems to have here on MM since TF as a term is in totally reserved for work exchange and free for both. As soon as there is an income, selling, client or any commercial influence for anyone involved we talk paid work. When it comes to the term "Commercial" it is interpreted as what is legally done in a contract manner as understood in contract law and not what the photographer reccon he/she is shooting in front of his/her lens like for example a business woman in a suit. We also have another concept called SNO (sharing is the new owning) which is an alternative to TF mostly for models who wants an alternative to TF and here the model owns all the pictures of his/herself afterward and the copyright is swapped between the involved parties.

May 03 16 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I think Koryn's post is fairly typical of many models her in that they would rather invest a lot of time and effort into doing TF to built their portfolio rather than pay to accomplish the same thing faster.  Actually, I think Koryn stuck with it where many newer models would have given up.  Most models I see join MM have hopes of earning pay in a short time period and when that doesn't happen, they fade away rather than stick with it.  At least where I live this means there is a very limited time span in which to book new models before they quit.  Many such models believe because there is a high demand to shoot TF, there must be a strong demand to pay them, but most find this isn't true.   A lot of photographers wanting to shoot TF does not necessarily translate into a demand for paid shoots. 

There certainly are some photographers here who have had models pay them, but I think that's fairly rare overall.

I also think it's fairly rare on MM to find a third party client who is paying for the shoot.  Most shoots are either TF or photographers paying models notably less than agency models would earn for what are usually hobbyist shoots.  A few photographers here do commercial work, sell stock, or sell art, but typically they are not earning the income from that to justify paying agency rates.

May 03 16 07:11 am Link

Model

Koryn

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I think Koryn's post is fairly typical of many models her in that they would rather invest a lot of time and effort into doing TF to built their portfolio rather than pay to accomplish the same thing faster.  Actually, I think Koryn stuck with it where many newer models would have given up.  Most models I see join MM have hopes of earning pay in a short time period and when that doesn't happen, they fade away rather than stick with it...

I never got interested in paying people until the last couple of years when it was starting to become nearly impossible to get useful trade. The people approaching me for trade at that point generally wanted to shoot exactly the same boring things I'd been shooting for a decade. Not anything I actually needed to continue progressing and growing.

After a point, you have basically run through 95% of the potentially useful trade that is reasonably accessible to you. So, you either get stuck at that same level and spin your wheels for a few years, plateued (what happened to me, starting around 2011 and continuing through my last tour in 2015). Or you start paying photogtaphers who are far beyond the level you're capable of finding for trade.

Unfortunately, they can be as unreliable as anyone else - and being working professionals who shoot for publication or other meaningful outlets, are NOT generally interested in a freelance model with a $300 budget.

May 03 16 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Koryn wrote:
After a point, you have basically run through 95% of the potentially useful trade that is reasonably accessible to you. So, you either get stuck at that same level and spin your wheels for a few years, plateued (what happened to me, starting around 2011 and continuing through my last tour in 2015). Or you start paying photogtaphers who are far beyond the level you're capable of finding for trade.

Good point.  I think in terms of portfolio development TF tends to have a limited lifespan for both models and photographers, probably more so for models.  That's the nature of supply and demand.  Top caliber models and photographers who commend good pay have little incentive to give that up to do TF.  I think photographers more so than models are willing to keep doing TF simply as hobby even if it no longer advances their portfolio or potential to earn money.  I also think photographers can often benefit from TF a lot longer than models can in terms of advancing their abilities. 

As a result, I think we see a lot of photographers wanting to do TF with a fairly limited number of models who will benefit from or desire to do the TF those photographers offer.   At the same time, hobbyist photographers are only going to spend so much on a hobby and it needs to be something they value and can't get on a TF basis.  This can create a stale mate of sorts.  A lot of models won't stick with it as long as you did, and simply fade away, not wanting to do more TF, not wanting to spend money to make the jump to the next level, and not able to commend pay where they are at.

May 03 16 08:33 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When you get good at it. Some people literally never learn to take a decent photo, plenty of people love to boast they've been shooting as long as I've been alive and thats a shame because they still absolutely suck at it, some people it comes naturally to them, a lot of people are somewhere in between where it takes them some time. There is no definitive X years or Y shoots or Z dollars/pieces of equipment.

Trade shoots are also not free. And you'll never completely stop being asked to shoot trade.

Like many I never intended to go full-time as a model, I enjoyed shooting trade for cool pictures. A few years into it I moved and was having trouble finding a "real job" in the middle of nowhere and I had already spent enough time trading to get my portfolio to a point where not everyone offering a shoot was going to help advance my portfolio, so I started quoting rates and taking on paid work with people I didn't want or need images from. I never stopped trading and would pay for someone phenomenal

May 03 16 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Up until this point I have very much been shooting to teach myself to one day make a little money doing this hobby. However after putting in the time I am finding it harder to book the shoots I want, while still getting paid..

You lost me right here. You are looking for someone to pay you to shoot what you want to shoot ?

That's similar to the models who post that they want images to go in their portfolios, and expect to be paid in addition.

Either it's trade or the person looking for images is generally the one who pays.

Shooting models and expecting them to pay is a difficult career path.

May 03 16 07:25 pm Link

Model

CrystalWat

Macon, Georgia, US

Simple: model needs the photos, model pays. Photographer needs the photos, photographer pays. Of course it is a bit more complicated than this (such as when both need the photos) but for the most part it's simple.

May 03 16 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

In my market, models pay photographers like me for portfolio shoots when they have a strong publication history, hire models frequently for commercial clients, and are recommended by their agencies.  The tough part is that there are only about 10 photographers in the area that do this, but there are 200+ photographers trying to get to this level.

For me, I only ever pay models when I hire them for a commercial client's shoot. Like many other pro photographers- model and fashion photography is only about 25% of my business and other types of photography pay better.  A proven history of publication and personal referrals from top models & stylists are the key factors to getting paid by emerging models.

Realistically, trying to get paid by models with a limited portfolio in a small city in the middle of Florida with many other great photographers in the state is going to be very very hard.

May 04 16 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Let's remember that the answer to the "Who pays whom?" question is largely subject to the law of supply & demand.  Why should a model pay a photographer if there are tons of photographers (of similar quality & skill & reliability) who will shoot for TF* or who would even pay the model?  And versa vice.

Both modeling & photography are competitive businesses.

Any global forum discussion is typically moot without an appreciate of the local marketplace dynamics.

May 04 16 07:27 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

"On the same topic, Models - When do you decide it is time to stop paying for portfolio shows, and start getting paid? Will you pay for shots after the point of being a "professional"? Or do you just wait for paid gigs to come?"

I never paid for portfolio images - though I have shot some TF before. At this point, I no longer will accept TF offers. I started modeling last year and managed to build a decent portfolio. Now, I mostly get offers for paid work, and I do a fair amount of networking and work about 5 times per week if not more.
At this point, I would not pay for shoots. I did not in the beginning, and I see no reason to do so now. Though, I'm lucky that people seem to want to shoot with me. I can imagine scenarios in which I would pay for images, but they would need to be markedly better or similar to the quality of the images in my current portfolio. Otherwise, it simply would not make logical or financial sense for me.

I think there are cases where it definitely benefits models to pay for images, however, and I understand when photographers cannot afford to pay or would rather not. I might decline to work with them TF, but I understand why they might not pay and that is completely fine. I have heard of cases where a professional model will pay for images, provided those images meet certain specifications - or are often for a very specific marketing purpose. Most professional models, especially if they travel or do nude work, will not pay for images. But I'm sure there are models in your area that would.

May 17 16 04:02 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

One of the most important points I try to remind photographers of when they ask me this question is this: Models are not a good target client demographic for the vast majority of photographers. Models tend to be young women who simply do not have the money to pay photographers. The models who are willing to pay tend to either be (often relatively older) women who are modeling for fun. Now, I do agree that it would be a boost to a new model's portfolio if she were able to hire a handful of very talented photographers early on, and I do suggest that to newer models when I feel it's appropriate/beneficial, but models with the funds to cover that are going to be rare so almost all of us start out shooting trade to build a portfolio and then move on to being paid.

I started out shooting trade and started getting paid offers maybe a month after I started shooting nudes, so I started getting paid about 4 or 5 months after I started modeling.

And similar to Koryn's story, once upon a time I did try to find a photographer to hire. I think it was back in 2010 and I was looking to add something new to my portfolio. I was specifically looking for a photographer who could do something a bit more "stylized" and who had access to a good MUA. Every one I contacted was either too busy with their day job, didn't respond, or didn't have access to a MUA.

At this point in my career, I make most of my income with self shot work and a much smaller portion being hired by photographers to pose, so paying a photographer just isn't something I need to do. I would be happy to help cover expenses (MUA, wardrobe, etc) for a very skilled photographer who wanted to do something more elaborate, but so far those shoots have ended up being trade as well. One case that I've considered would be hiring a photographer to shoot photosets for me to post exclusively on my Patreon (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 images which we would both share freely). However, I think the cost would be much higher than would be practical for me, so I haven't really pursued that option, but if my Patreon takes off, I'd still consider that. In that case I'd be basically buying the rights to the images, so a bit different than I think most might be talking about here.

May 18 16 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm sure to get some push back for this but talent paying talent doesn't work.   The best idea is to find actual clients.   Models simply lack the money to pay for the most part and their aren't enough photographers who are willing to pay no matter their skill level.

May 18 16 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm sure to get some push back for this but talent paying talent doesn't work.   The best idea is to find actual clients.   Models simply lack the money to pay for the most part and their aren't enough photographers who are willing to pay no matter their skill level.

You bring up a very valid point and one that shows experience and savvy in the business.  Most of the pay jobs I've had as a photographer have been for a specific reason and I can't recall one being to update a portfolio.

I had a pretty good business doing boudoir shoots for ladies wanting to do something special for their other half for an anniversary for a while and almost all of it was by word of mouth from previous clients.  One specific aspect of my business that brought me more shoots than anything else, was that I would put in writing the restricted use of their intimate images and held good to my word.  Most of those clients wanted images to entice their other half, not show their wares all over the net.  Maintaining trust with them was and still is a cornerstone of how I do business.  would I like to share some of that work here on MM?  Definitely, as some of those images came out very well and the ladies are fascinatingly beautiful.  Will I?  Not on your life because I made that promise, regardless of the signed contract.

There is a difference between "shooting for someone" and "shooting with someone."  When shooting for someone, they normally have specific images or a specific use in mind for the images they need/want - headshots, family portraits, special gift, etc. When shooting with someone, as most of us do with models, there needs to be a mutual gain from the experience.  Should a model desire to hire me for a portfolio update, I would expect them to have a concept already in place and simply be able to let me know what she or he desires or at least be open to proper planning sessions to ensure their money and our time isn't wasted.  In that case, time does equal money - their money for my time.  I'd hate to see anyone enter into a business agreement and not get what they need/want/desire and, to be truthful, I'm not a fan of wasting time for myself or a client. 

For models making a living working with paying photographers, I wish you noting but success and for the rare photographer being paid to update portfolios or whatever, the same to you.  For those of both schools desiring to work collaboratively but without the funds to pay the other side, courtesy goes a long way towards getting you what you want.  A few sincere kind words can go a long way.

Best of luck to everyone!

May 18 16 11:52 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Models are not clients.  Clients are clients.  They pay me, and the model.
If you are doing an important personal project, it's often worth paying the model.
Very, very few if any photographers make a living from models paying for images.

May 29 16 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

That's a FACT! 

Back in 1979 when I started shooting, it was an analog World where printing on paper was what we did.  Models and bands (the talent besides us) needed pictures.  We provided those pictures for money.  I also did quite well with shooting weddings and portraits.  As a journalist, I freelanced for magazines and newspapers.  People seemed to have respect towards photographers. 

Then something turned the World of analog and paper upside down!  It was the digital revolution!  Printing is not necessary, and so publishing is done online.  I have personally met young photographers who will shoot your wedding, portrait, modeling images or live band shots for FREE!  Newspapers and magazines have laid off the majority of their staff and utilize "user provided content" now.  It could have driven me bananas, but I joined the revolution and make money through providing content for websites.  I self publish and use resources available on social networks.   That's where I find my models and clients is on the Internet. 

In short, I either TFP with new models or I pay the models I work with on projects. On very rare occasion, I get paid by the model.  I also work with musicians, but I have experience in management and publicity with them.  I also teach photography and write books.  Nothing seems to pay a large amount like in the old days when you had Supermodels who wouldn't get out of bed without pay, and rock stars making ridiculous amounts of money.  Photographers, musicians, models and anyone else that is an "artist" has to find new ways to make an income in the digital age.  We can live off of each other.

May 29 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

J E W E T T wrote:
Models are not clients.  Clients are clients.  They pay me, and the model.
If you are doing an important personal project, it's often worth paying the model.
Very, very few if any photographers make a living from models paying for images.

FACT!

May 29 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

So who pays?!? (model / photographer)

Others may have said it already, but here's the short form:

The person who has to gain the most from the shoot often pays!

E.g. if your photos help the model to book gigs... and you kinda have a track record for it... your value is higher and a model that can afford to pay, pays you! If your photos are not there yet, you should consider paying high end models to work with you for your own portfolio and promotions.

Ideally, your photography is on a level that companies/clients hire you to shoot for them and they pay you, your creative team and your model/s.

May 29 16 12:22 pm Link