Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon 6006

Photographer

JennHoffmanPhoto

Ventura, Iowa, US

Hi, I was wondering if it was suitable/worth the few dollars to buy a Nikon 6006 from a friend. He does not want it anymore but he said nothing is wrong with it. It is a film camera so I could use any suggestions/feedback from you.

If someone owns the camera I'd love to hear if it works well for it's purpose.

Aug 29 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

$75 is about all it's really worth.

Aug 29 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes.

Aug 29 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

It's an extremely well built camera.  The only thing you'll notice is it's only second generation autofocus, so it may seem a bit slow...especially in low light.

Aug 29 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I have one. The only problem is that the matte coating on the back (film door) tends to flake off. I was afraid a piece of the stuff would get inside the camera so I scraped the coating off, mostly using my thumbnail. A lot of it had already come off by then.
It is the second one that I've owned and they both were like that so it must a common problem
Otherwise no problems with the cameras.

Aug 29 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

JennHoffmanPhoto

Ventura, Iowa, US

What are the GOOD features and what are the BAD features?

Aug 30 05 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Jenn Photo/Design wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if it was suitable/worth the few dollars to buy a Nikon 6006 from a friend. He does not want it anymore but he said nothing is wrong with it. It is a film camera so I could use any suggestions/feedback from you.

If someone owns the camera I'd love to hear if it works well for it's purpose.

I'm sorry if this sounds somewhat harsh, but a little research on your part would go a long way.

IE, http://www.camerareview.com
http://www.photographyreview.com
and other sites. Typing "review nikon 6006" into google will retrieve lots of information. Then when you post a question here, it will be a much more informed question assuming all your questions weren't answered with your initial search.  A more informed question than does the camera "work well for it's [sic] purpose" will serve you well. Your followup question (when this one didn't work well) asking about the good and bad features is exactly what a search on the sites I refer to will get for you. I hope this is useful for you.

Aug 30 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

JennHoffmanPhoto

Ventura, Iowa, US

Thank you!

Aug 30 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I haven't used the 6006 much lately but maybe I can mention a couple of things that may be helpful.
I don't know if you already have some lenses you want to use on it. You need lenses that have an aperture setting ring on the lens as you cannot set the f stop on the 6006 body. I think the ones you can't use are the "G" lenses.
The maximum flash sync speed is 1/125 second which may matter if you do a lot of fill flash work in sunlight. The 8008 (for example) has a top sync speed of 1/250.
Besides full manual exposure settings it has several modes of auto exposure. It also has exposure bracketing built in.
I never had any mechanical problems with the one I have now or the one I had several years ago.

Aug 30 05 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

I have a 6006...got it 8 years ago and have had no problems.  It was a good camera then, but now it is dated....there are much faster more advanced cameras out there at fairly reasonable prices.  The 6006 is a great camera if your friend is generous and gives it to you, but I would not pay money for it.

Sep 02 05 11:07 pm Link