Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Cleaning $h!t is Only Half the Job

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I am a trainer in a gym so busy, sometimes we have close to 1000 people come and go in a single day. In any given week, it's nearly inevitable that someone will shit on the toilet seats in the bathrooms. I've had to clean up the shit the last three times it's happened in the women's room. I struggle to understand how this is anatomically possible - unless they are not actually sitting on the seat when they use the toilet. That's the only way it makes sense to me.

The assistant manager says some guy poops in the shower in the men's locker room on the regular. He's had to clean that at least ten times since last January when he started working there.

Cleaning shit... it's actually not even half the job.

But it feels like 88% in the moment when you're actively mopping poop out of a bathroom stall.

May 18 16 07:15 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

At my last contract job, and mind you at a big HEALTH Insurance company, the women's bathroom was warfare.  I would think to myself (and would say aloud when I'd open a stall)... "What, people don't know how to flush?"  Then it was piss all over the seat but shit?

Are people this gross?

The assistant manager says some guy poops in the shower in the men's locker room on the regular. He's had to clean that at least ten times since last January when he started working there.

oh blargh!

May 18 16 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've come across the work of the Mad Shitter once or twice in my life. Apparently it's not that uncommon especially among newly enlisted military members who are overwhelmed by stress and change in their world. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … %20shitter

May 19 16 02:55 am Link

Model

Koryn

I complained about cleaning poop to one of the gym members with whom I'm friendly.

To my amazement, she said, "Oh, my disgusting sister does that. She is afraid of other people's germs and won't sit on the seat."

I said, "Your sister is a horrible human being."

May 19 16 04:48 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

"Dear Members,
we invite you to the semi-annual poo flinging contest!
First ten members to bring their own wolf bait WILL WIN one year's free cleaning service with their membership!"

Koryn, ,WHY IN THE FUCK DO YOU CLEAN POO IN A FUCKING GYM????
Please tell me that's not in your job description!

May 19 16 12:57 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

I'm so fucking appalled at the unsanitary conditions!!! And it's not even MY gym!!!

I cannot stop fucking gagging now!!!

Why in the shit doesn't management stalk those dirty assholes and
1 Ban them
2 expose them and ban them
3 sue them for reckless dirty endangerment (e-coli, anyone?!)
4 I'm still gagging what the fuck!?!?!

May 19 16 01:02 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Dea and the Beast wrote:
"Dear Members,
we invite you to the semi-annual poo flinging contest!
First ten members to bring their own wolf bait WILL WIN one year's free cleaning service with their membership!"

Koryn, ,WHY IN THE FUCK DO YOU CLEAN POO IN A FUCKING GYM????
Please tell me that's not in your job description!

Everyone who works there has to clean poo.

It's a "finder's cleaners" situation.

May 19 16 01:16 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Koryn wrote:

Everyone who works there has to clean poo.

It's a "finder's cleaners" situation.

Dude. Not okay. Why is this not taken up with the health department?

May 19 16 01:24 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Dude. Not okay. Why is this not taken up with the health department?

This happens in literally every place of business that exists. Any place with frequently used public toilets, people shit all over them, all the time.

May 19 16 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would require a $50 credit card deposit to borrow a toilet seat in that place, and it must be returned in the same condition.

Guess there is a reason the are called Massholes? I am so sorry you must deal with this shit. It's not normal, at least I really hope it's not.

May 19 16 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

This happens in literally every place of business that exists. Any place with frequently used public toilets, people shit all over them, all the time.

This is true!  It's very common in women's restrooms.

May 19 16 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

https://49.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m98x0qf6H91rez9dao1_500.gif
like a boss.

May 19 16 05:53 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

This is true!  It's very common in women's restrooms.

Men pee all over the floor, so it sort of balances out, I guess.

May 19 16 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Koryn wrote:
Men pee all over the floor, so it sort of balances out, I guess.

yellow pee pee monster?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKv9MrsLXlk
sorry for crappy video of a TV shakey cam quality ...not my copyright safe upload.

May 19 16 06:00 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Robb Mann wrote:
I am so sorry you must deal with this shit. It's not normal, at least I really hope it's not.

Nah, it really is normal.

The other gym I worked at a few years back had a cleaning crew that did only janitorial stuff. The trainers and desk staff didn't really deal with the locker rooms and clean ups, so you didn't really see it much.

We don't have that where I work now and the janitorial work is divided up among all the employees. Everyone from the bottom tier (I'm solidly in the middle and earn $12/hour, same as the assistant manager), up through management, has cleaning duties.

It doesn't matter where you fall in the order of operations - everyone must clean shit.

May 19 16 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Koryn wrote:

OMG! move to california. nao!!!

May 19 16 06:06 pm Link

May 19 16 07:21 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Could be avoided with an attendee for $8/hr.

May 20 16 07:49 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

We used to work in a building that had shared bathrooms between two companies... the women's room had a person affectionately named the mad bomber because once a week... she would shit full on the seat.

The women in my office were determined to figure out the culprit and they think they figured it out...

Well years later when I was married and also had a daughter... I learned the source of the mad bomber...

(not that my family shit on the toilet)

I learned that in some cultural expressions... the women will not actually sit on the toilet and do something that is called hovering... and during said hovering... it may be that someone's aim may be lax...

So I am guessing that they shit on the seat is due to hovering gone wrong...

maybe?

May 20 16 08:37 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:
We used to work in a building that had shared bathrooms between two companies... the women's room had a person affectionately named the mad bomber because once a week... she would shit full on the seat.

The women in my office were determined to figure out the culprit and they think they figured it out...

Well years later when I was married and also had a daughter... I learned the source of the mad bomber...

(not that my family shit on the toilet)

I learned that in some cultural expressions... the women will not actually sit on the toilet and do something that is called hovering... and during said hovering... it may be that someone's aim may be lax...

So I am guessing that they shit on the seat is due to hovering gone wrong...

maybe?

Hovering is fine if you don't piss all over the seat or at best clean it up.  Thing is, for a person, man or woman to shit all over the seat makes them a truly nasty-ass person.  I've watched people not wash their hands in the bathroom which I find absolutely disgusting.

Aren't these really BASIC thing one learns about hygiene?

May 21 16 07:25 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Jules NYC wrote:
Hovering is fine if you don't piss all over the seat or at best clean it up.  Thing is, for a person, man or woman to shit all over the seat makes them a truly nasty-ass person.  I've watched people not wash their hands in the bathroom which I find absolutely disgusting.

Aren't these really BASIC thing one learns about hygiene?

Let's take this a step further:

Say you shat or pissed call over the seat and you want to get out of the smelly stall... But you also don't want to be discovered as a complete unfit member of society (where I'm from, you'll get seriously assessed for not pooing in the correct spot) and a pig...no wait...pigs are clean....

Re: washing hands: yes cause they're afraid of the germs lol lol

May 21 16 08:57 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Say you shat or pissed call over the seat and you want to get out of the smelly stall... But you also don't want to be discovered as a complete unfit member of society (where I'm from, you'll get seriously assessed for not pooing in the correct spot) and a pig...no wait...pigs are clean....

When I go into a bathroom and I see a woman left pubes or piss on the seat, I kind of barf inside.  If they shat on the seat, I'd probably projectile vomit on the spot. Then again, it's almost impossible for me to puke unless I'm overdosed in booze and I only did that a couple times in my life.

If I had a job where they told me to clean it, I'd quit on the spot.

May 21 16 09:51 am Link

Model

Koryn

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Jules NYC wrote:
When I go into a bathroom and I see a woman left pubes or piss on the seat, I kind of barf inside.  If they shat on the seat, I'd probably projectile vomit on the spot. Then again, it's almost impossible for me to puke unless I'm overdosed in booze and I only did that a couple times in my life.

Sometimes there are pubes and pee on the seat when you go in to use it, and if all the stalls/toilets are gross, you almost HAVE to hover. Unless you want to sit in a pee-covered seat, or find an alleyway with a dumpster to pee behind. I actually prefer to pee outside, but in a city, you can't really depend on being able to do that.

I will hover if there's nastiness on the seat. However, I've been doing this my entire life over dirty public toilets, and often outdoors when I had to go in the woods, so I am VERY good at it. I would also never "hover" if I had to go #2, because that's just an awful idea. I've gone to several different locations until I found somewhere clean to sit down, or a wooded place where I could pull over and use the woods.

There've been times I had to use stalls with dirty toilet seats, and I didn't sit on them, but when I came out, the next woman who went in just assumed I'd peed on the seat. I didn't. If you end up in a stall with a dirty seat, and realize you need to hover, lifting the seat up with your shoe-covered foot will make the bowl wider, so you have even a lesser likelihood of making it dirtier than it already is. In order to prevent the next person in line from thinking I made the pee-pee-seat, I typically put the seat up, and walked out with it up, leaving it up. If the seat is up in a women's bathroom, it's probably a bad idea to lower it. You're going to need to hover.

Don't assume the person immediately in front of you in line peed on the seat.

Jules NYC wrote:
If I had a job where they told me to clean it, I'd quit on the spot.

I only ever had a couple of jobs where I wasn't responsible for, at least occasionally, cleaning commodes. One of them was the ghostwriting job I had last year, but then my boss starting paying me $50 extra every week to come clean his house, so then I was cleaning a toilet again.

In 2006, I had a "crisis management" type job with a human services company. It paid $11/hour, working with families that were "in crisis" and on the verge of being separated by DSS. At that time, in North Carolina, to have an $11/hour job was considered amazing. It was looked upon as the holy grail of jobs. The business was set up in a huge, historic home -- and someone had to clean it every week. If you wanted the extra hours and extra money (which everyone did) for cleaning the office/house, you signed up on a list and rotated through Sundays. Everybody cleaned at least one Sunday every few months. The bathrooms there were never very gross though. Someone puked in one, once, but that's the nastiest I ever recall it being there. The kitchen was a lot worse there; people left food in the office fridge and it would rot, but you weren't allowed to throw the plastic containers away. You had to scrape and wash those, even if the food in them was covered with mold.

I really don't know how people get by in the mainstream work world without ever needing to fulfill janitorial duties. For the most part, that's been an aspect of like 85% of the jobs I've had, and it didn't matter who you were, or your status in the company. Everybody had cleaning duties, and if you didn't do them, you'd be fired.

May 22 16 09:40 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
I only ever had a couple of jobs where I wasn't responsible for, at least occasionally, cleaning commodes. One of them was the ghostwriting job I had last year, but then my boss starting paying me $50 extra every week to come clean his house, so then I was cleaning a toilet again.

In 2006, I had a "crisis management" type job with a human services company. It paid $11/hour, working with families that were "in crisis" and on the verge of being separated by DSS. At that time, in North Carolina, to have an $11/hour job was considered amazing. It was looked upon as the holy grail of jobs. The business was set up in a huge, historic home -- and someone had to clean it every week. If you wanted the extra hours and extra money (which everyone did) for cleaning the office/house, you signed up on a list and rotated through Sundays. Everybody cleaned at least one Sunday every few months. The bathrooms there were never very gross though. Someone puked in one, once, but that's the nastiest I ever recall it being there. The kitchen was a lot worse there; people left food in the office fridge and it would rot, but you weren't allowed to throw the plastic containers away. You had to scrape and wash those, even if the food in them was covered with mold.

I really don't know how people get by in the mainstream work world without ever needing to fulfill janitorial duties. For the most part, that's been an aspect of like 85% of the jobs I've had, and it didn't matter who you were, or your status in the company. Everybody had cleaning duties, and if you didn't do them, you'd be fired.

I've always worked in places where they had a cleaning staff, even small offices.  That is why companies hire janitorial staff.  I'm not downing your job responsibilities at all; I'm just saying if you valued yourself at a higher hourly wage, maybe that wouldn't be a part of your job duties.

Starbucks pays more than what you are currently making, you get health benefits too.  Cleaning the toilets though is still part of the gig.

I've mopped floors before at an Au Bon Pain I was working at in Boston, during my early college years.  I had no problem with it, then was reminded why I was going to college.

I did know a couple people that had their own cleaning business in private homes.  They made good money and somehow I don't think anyone in the house shat on the seat.

Equinox.  Now THAT is a place I'd be working at if I were a personal trainer.

Equinox Franklin Street
225 Franklin St · (617) 426-2140
Closed now

Equinox Sports Club Boston
4 Avery St · (617) 375-8200
Open until 8:00 PM

Equinox Dartmouth
131 Dartmouth St · (617) 578-8918
Open until 8:00 PM

P.S. when some nasty woman leaves piss all over the seat I take a wad of toilet paper and clean it off so the next person doesn't think it was me; it's just that gross.  My hands never touch anything and they get very washed afterwards regardless.

May 22 16 01:01 pm Link

Model

Koryn

The problem with most gyms are that they pay based on commission. The gyms typically take 60-80% of every trainer's sales, making the revenue very low. That is why I was unable to stay at the gym where I worked in 2013. I quit when my phone and electricity were on the verge of being turned off. The smallest package a member could buy there was $249/month, for a minimum term of 3 months. Most of our members could not afford that, and we were a small gym, with 8 trainers already competing for a limited amount of possible revenue. Then, the gym took 80% right off the top. Attendance in summer months dropped by half, making it BRUTAL to live on the money there. You got $5 for doing assessments with new members. But, when your clients no-showed for assessments, which happened A LOT - you got nothing, despite having to be at work. I was working 30+ hours per week and taking home about $250/week.

It is VERY rare for a gym to pay hourly wages. I work for one of the few that does. When people flake, I still get paid. I have the same schedule every week, for a solid 35 hours. Weekends off, and one paid vacation per year, after a year of being there. They also have health benefits available, but I qualify for low income coverage through the state of MA.

To me, this is a very good deal. I don't sell anything, or hustle anyone, and I make my wage regardless of who buys and who doesn't. The gym doesn't take the largest cut of my money. I am not a salesperson, and hustling people who didn't have $250/month to spend is not something I felt okay with.

While I don't know about Equinox, I'd pretty much guarantee they don't pay hourly wages and take 80% of everyone's money. They likely have a gazillion trainers, clawing each other's eyes out for the resources. I am thr ONLY trainer where I work, and basically do my own thing, and do not have to answer to anyone about why "sales numbers" are down, or "sales goals" or "adding value." All that stuff is nauseating to me. I want to help people, not bleed them dry on overpriced packages. Where I work, access to the trainer (me) is free and included in the cost of membership. In this way, I can genuinely devote my time and passion to individuals anx their needs in a way that is almost impossible when you're trying to constantly sell stuff to people

Also I do not live in Boston proper. I live an hour outside the city. I would not commute daily into the city unless I was guaranteed an hourly wage, consistent schedule and weekends off. And no hustling "packages" to people, no clawing and grappling for dollars. Those things are nearly impossible to find in the fitness industry.

May 22 16 01:31 pm Link

Model

Koryn

I genuinely believe that access to a trainer should be a right when joining a gym, that each member, regardless of income should be able to have that service and attention at no additional cost to them.

This way, you get to serve the elderly, disabled, those on fixed incomes - people who need it most. People who have chronic pain, people whom the medical establishment has basically shit on.

At the vast majority of gyms, only the higher income members can afford access to trainers, and ethically I do not agree with this. It makes all the difference in the world in actually getting results in people's behavioral changes. Many are fighting heart disease and obesity and are also lower income. For this demographic, having access to a trainer at no additional cost does actually make the difference between longevity and healing, or dying young from a heart attack

May 22 16 01:46 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I know this is not 'pick an occupation day' but Koryn, with your helping nature and love of fitness & rehabilitation, why didn't you (or why don't you) pursue Occupational Therapy?

If you're truly happy at your job, then the wage and cleaning toilet thing shouldn't be a big deal.  It's just a part of the gig.

May 22 16 02:21 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Jules NYC wrote:
I know this is not 'pick an occupation day' but Koryn, with your helping nature and love of fitness & rehabilitation, why didn't you (or why don't you) pursue Occupational Therapy?

If you're truly happy at your job, then the wage and cleaning toilet thing shouldn't be a big deal.  It's just a part of the gig.

I love my job. I joke about cleaning up shit, but I only hate it in the moment. I actually don't think it's a big deal.

If I had thousands of dollars to devote to it, I'd pursue physical therapy. I don't generally feel like the massive amount of debt is worth it - for anything. I'm about to turn 34, still totally debt-free. keeping it that way is a huge priority for me.

May 22 16 04:17 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:

I love my job. I joke about cleaning up shit, but I only hate it in the moment. I actually don't think it's a big deal.

If I had thousands of dollars to devote to it, I'd pursue physical therapy. I don't generally feel like the massive amount of debt is worth it - for anything. I'm about to turn 34, still totally debt-free. keeping it that way is a huge priority for me.

Debt-free is good, but making decent money is good too.  I'm happy for you that you love your job!  I just feel sometimes you mention a lot the hourly you make at the jobs you've had and you feel that you haven't reached your career goals yet.  I know a job isn't always about the money, but no one that went to school to do *insert whatever here* likes paying back money they owe if they in fact owe a penny. It's part of the conundrum if that, but well worth the investment.

Hopefully at 44, 54, 64? you won't have to still clean toilets?

May 22 16 04:53 pm Link