Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique me !

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

Hello! I am a hair and makeup artist new to model mayhem. I obviously did not take any of these photos and am clearly into more editorial and glamour. I would like critique from the standpoint of a photog looking to hire a HMUA for an editorial shoot. Things you like and don't like about my port things you would like to see that would make my port more appealing/ hireable..
Thanks!! And feel free to send that friend request and  leave comments on the ones you really like!! smile

Jun 07 16 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

I'm not an expert in this field, but I can give some uneducated thoughts. Overall, your work looks capable. You seem to use ruby red lipstick a lot, wouldn't mind seeing a little more diversity in color for lips. I wouldn't mind seeing a project that is really wild. It may or may not be a project that a potential client would use, but it would show that you can handle large and small undertakings.

When working with a photographer, you might ask if he/she would compose a photo that emphasizes the make-up. You might also ask if the photographer would prefer not to retouch that particular photo for you, then maybe you could have a retoucher work on that specific shot at your expense. This would allow you to get more beauty shots in your portfolio that would allow the make-up to be the emphasis. Not sure if a photog would be open to this or not, but I would consider it if an MUA asked.

Of your work, these two are my favorites:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160601/15/574f611161098_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160601/15/574f61510d688_m.jpg

I like the blue eye lid application in the first. It's simple, but a striking color against the skin tones of the model. The simplicity of the second is well done also…sometimes MUAs can go over the top when all that is really needed is something simple.

I'll send a friend request. I don't have any projects planned at the moment, but maybe we can work on something in the future.

-Kris

Jun 08 16 11:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Wand HMUA

Austin, Texas, US

Kris Krieg wrote:
When working with a photographer, you might ask if he/she would compose a photo that emphasizes the make-up. You might also ask if the photographer would prefer not to retouch that particular photo for you, then maybe you could have a retoucher work on that specific shot at your expense. This would allow you to get more beauty shots in your portfolio that would allow the make-up to be the emphasis. Not sure if a photog would be open to this or not, but I would consider it if an MUA asked.

-Kris

thanks for your input. I will definitely reconsider this in my next few projects

Jun 09 16 09:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Brittany Wand HMUA wrote:
...I would like critique from the standpoint of a photog looking to hire a HMUA for an editorial shoot...

Brittany forgive me for using my MUA profile to reply... rest assured I'm a published photographer with considerable commercial tenure, albeit my primary revenue stream is from bridal makeup artistry.

That said, I would not likely hire a HMUA for an editorial session... Editorial by it's very nature has no client in the mix... When I hire team members their recompense is a pass through expense born by the client... No client, no revenue, end of subject.  Believe you would benefit from getting your head around the brutal fact that at the commercial level of our industry editorials are nearly always creative test in which each team member contributes pro bono their expertise to the image equation...  if you are looking for editorials in your book, then you will likely have to consider creative testing...

For non commercial work with the likes of Mayhem hobbyist you are most likely going to be "hired" for glamour... which we both realize is virtually worthless for agency level talent's book...

Also realize you are now competing with all the other graduates of the Aveda Institute of Austin who have likely saturated your market... Austin and/or San Antonio aren't even minor fashion markets only Dallas has much to offer in that genre... Your chance of breaking into our industry at the commercial level involves relocation to a major market area... NYC, Chicago, and LA... Columbus OH is now home to Express, Abercrombie & Fitch, DSW and L.  Considering the cost of living, Columbus would be my first choice if just starting out in as they are now host to the Columbus College of Art and Design. With such a fertile field of Fashion Designers Columbus is prime to become a serious player in the mix.   

And Mayhem? The Lion's share of the few rare commercial fashion shooters on Mayhem are pretty all located in major markets... It's a matter of economics... You simply have to go where the fashion clients are (read follow the money here).

btw, my most important commercial client is an NYC advertising agency who now books me for many of their Washington DC sessions (primarily video).  Still photography is a vanishing breed... the future for you is in video...

As how to thrive in your current market... One thought...
A strong Commercial Web Portal without which you will not likely be taken seriously...

Hope this helps...
All the best...

Jun 10 16 11:32 am Link