Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > swimsuit on location, any thoughts?

Photographer

STVCOPHOTO

San Francisco, California, US

Jul 03 16 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

STVCOPHOTO wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40885401

Not the idea location IMHO for swimsuit.   Also looks out of focus, models underexposed and her eyes are half closed.  Plus not really digging the pose.

Just my worthless opinion smile

Jul 03 16 01:21 am Link

Photographer

STVCOPHOTO

I would agree with most all of your points.  The client chose this as one of their favorite shots. 
      Switch to Canon 5D mkiii about 5000 shots in studio prior to this location shoot. 
AF confusion that day solved by using the zeiss 85mm f1.2.   Love that EF 70-200 2.8 but still haven't found my method of AF lock/ ctrl setup.    In run and gun mode I rarely have any trouble with it but leave the camera on a spiked tripod and change framing a bit, say to get a tight shot of the outfit or headshot, and the AF loses all sense, wanders the range and cant find the focus.  I had to switch to MF for every framing change with the tele. Seems to happen in all lighting conditions at all distances. 
The zeiss is far crisper with better color but the long throw makes quick moves/ R and G a bit nerve wracking.

Thanks for bothering to post, cheers.

Jul 03 16 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

I think I would shoot this in portrait orientation. Anyone can look at doors and bushes all day long just about anywhere. This should be about the model IMHO.

Jul 03 16 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

STVCOPHOTO

This is for a poster used in a tradeshow promotion, my thinking was to capture wide shots of each setup.  Most of these were exactly as you suggest, about the model.  As I mentioned, the client picked this one and I am posting it to see if I am alone in not liking this rather avg. shot.  I will post one of my selects at some point.

Thanks for the comment.

Jul 04 16 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

STVCOPHOTO wrote:
I would agree with most all of your points.  The client chose this as one of their favorite shots. 
      Switch to Canon 5D mkiii about 5000 shots in studio prior to this location shoot. 
AF confusion that day solved by using the zeiss 85mm f1.2.   Love that EF 70-200 2.8 but still haven't found my method of AF lock/ ctrl setup.    In run and gun mode I rarely have any trouble with it but leave the camera on a spiked tripod and change framing a bit, say to get a tight shot of the outfit or headshot, and the AF loses all sense, wanders the range and cant find the focus.  I had to switch to MF for every framing change with the tele. Seems to happen in all lighting conditions at all distances. 
The zeiss is far crisper with better color but the long throw makes quick moves/ R and G a bit nerve wracking.

Thanks for bothering to post, cheers.

Sounds like a lot of BS.     

Also if your so called client thinks it's good what does it matter what we think.  And just a FYI this is a forum anyone can see so hope your client doesn't see it.

Jul 04 16 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

STVCOPHOTO wrote:
This is for a poster used in a trade show promotion, .

What kind of trade show would use a poster like that?

Jul 04 16 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I like the location, but her eyes being half closed is just weird - this alone would prevent me from showing this to a client.  I find the pose also quite strange.  If this image is about the model instead of the door then I recommend lighting the model.

Jul 05 16 11:43 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

STVCOPHOTO wrote:
AF confusion that day solved by using the zeiss 85mm f1.2.   Love that EF 70-200 2.8 but still haven't found my method of AF lock/ ctrl setup.    In run and gun mode I rarely have any trouble with it but leave the camera on a spiked tripod and change framing a bit, say to get a tight shot of the outfit or headshot, and the AF loses all sense, wanders the range and cant find the focus.

You're claiming that a 5Diii - a camera that is a benchmark in DSLR focus technology - can't focus from a tripod? With a stationary target in bright light?? With a L-series lens???

I really don't want to be cruel for its own sake, but I think you are bs-ing and I'm going to call you for it for a very good reason: people worry too much about having  the right gear and you're trying to hide behind claims that a set-up costing $5000 couldn't get a decent picture of a woman standing by a gate! No; you're creating fear and doubt to save face. A child with a compact camera could have got this shot; you messed up. You should have accepted the tiny amount of embarrassment and moved on.

...Wait: is it possible that you put the camera into Servo focus mode and put it on a tripod pointing at a woman standing perfectly still? Because it certain sounds like that is what happened. Read

http://digital-photography-school.com/o … -use-each/

And then read the camera manual.

Jul 06 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

STVCOPHOTO wrote:
This is for a poster used in a tradeshow promotion, my thinking was to capture wide shots of each setup..

Then wouldn't you have wanted the "set-up" to be in focus? I'm not convinced that even the model is, but if this was meant as a poster  for a trade show for the shrubbery and garden gate business, then I'd have expected those elements to be reasonably non-blurry...

Jul 06 16 12:02 pm Link