Forums > Photography Talk > "Stalker" Style Photography ?

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

I am not sure what to make of this. Is this a new genre or just photos taken without permission?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=3408

Aug 29 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

JhoneilC

Glendale, California, US

you pay him $175 and up a day so he can stalk you smile

Aug 29 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stevie D

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sure he has signed model releases for all of them!

wink

Aug 29 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Why don't you ask him?

Aug 29 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

But he knows their names? GWtfcd

Aug 29 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Jhoneil wrote:
you pay him $175 and up a day so he can stalk you smile

lol...I think that I am approaching photography from the wrong perspective. Charge first, learn later...seems to be the way to go.

Aug 29 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

JhoneilC

Glendale, California, US

I just realized his name is Chance. Maybe you can call it "Chance" upon photography. hahahahah I make myself laugh

Aug 29 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

JhoneilC

Glendale, California, US

Aug 29 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Ok, I have to ask...how the heck did you find that site?

I did a whois search on the domain, but it is marked as private. Do you think that he is pulling them from the site or is shooting content for it?

Aug 30 05 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I don't get it either. Is worrying about what other people are doing  the best use of your time?

Just curious.

Aug 30 05 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I have another question... So pics like that would be against the law in the US..?

Aug 30 05 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Mister B

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Hartsoe wrote:
I have another question... So pics like that would be against the law in the US..?

Not at all. Street Photography is very popular over here. However, taking a camera to a local girls soccer game and taking random pics would cause some people to call the police on you without talking to you first. You just have to use common sense on what your shooting.

Aug 30 05 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:
I don't get it either. Is worrying about what other people are doing  the best use of your time?

Just curious.

Is trolling the forums a better use of time?

Just kidding.

Aug 30 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Jim Warren wrote:

Is trolling the forums a better use of time?

Just kidding.

Haha, touché. I still think my point is more valid though!

Aug 30 05 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:

Just curious.

You couldn't imagine the amount of time that I waste on much less important things...

:-)

Aug 30 05 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Mister B wrote:

Not at all. Street Photography is very popular over here. However, taking a camera to a local girls soccer game and taking random pics would cause some people to call the police on you without talking to you first. You just have to use common sense on what your shooting.

I didn't know that this was okay. Now I am assuming that if he wanted to use them for commerical purposes, them he would need a model release, correct?

Aug 30 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

JhoneilC

Glendale, California, US

Wilsway wrote:
Ok, I have to ask...how the heck did you find that site?

I did a whois search on the domain, but it is marked as private. Do you think that he is pulling them from the site or is shooting content for it?

Somebody forwarded me that site a few weeks wink

Aug 30 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

Pretty people in the street is one of my favorite occupations in New York City!

http://www.dblock.org/ShowGallery.aspx?Id=205

https://www.dblock.org/ShowPicture.aspx?Id=8099 https://www.dblock.org/ShowPicture.aspx?Id=8118 https://www.dblock.org/ShowPicture.aspx?Id=8133 https://www.dblock.org/ShowPicture.aspx?Id=8149

Sep 03 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Wilsway wrote:

I didn't know that this was okay. Now I am assuming that if he wanted to use them for commerical purposes, them he would need a model release, correct?

This is what I'm not sure about too... There was an article of a german lawyer specified in these cases called "When pictures get expensive..."
So I know it can lead to difficulties using these pics for promotional reasons. I would be interested in the US laws in that.

Sep 03 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

This is a very tricky subject when referring to the US.

Here in the US, once a photographer takes the photo, the image is copyrighted to him. He own's the work. The general rule of thumb is as long as "No photography" signs are posted and you're on public property, you can legally take pics. As far as making money from them, well that's the sticky part.

You can make money from the images, but you run the risk of someone seeing their photo and   trying to claim damages. depending on how the images are used to make money. If it's on a website, in most cases, as long as there are no words that are offending, the complaitent must first issue a cease and desist letter. They can try and sue, but for the most part, a lawyer won't take on a case with out first proving an unwilling attitude on the person that's profiting from the photos. Then if that happens, they can sue and make only a small amount if their photos are mixed in with a lot of other people. If their photo is the only photo in question, then they can ask for a lot larger percentage. I don't know of any cases like this though. I've got a few model sites and when the model left, I started researching this all.

Sep 03 05 11:26 am Link