Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Serious comments please

Photographer

fushigii

Hyūga, Miyazaki, Japan

Back to MM after a long while off

Starting again with photography after more or less 2 years off.

Not sure about a lot of different things at the moment.

Would like some honest feedback about images in portfolio on here.

Yes, there are a lot. I know less is better.
I know that some are really not great with concept, editing etc etc

Point is that I want models to know what they are getting into shooting with me. I want models to know that I have shot a lot of different things. That there are models out there to contact for references and that I always pay models well.

Feedback from a totally different point of view would be great. I only get a very specific point of view feedback now.

Oct 24 16 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

I don't like or find all your shots interesting, but that's a personal taste thing. You know what you are doing technically and have an at least reasonable grasp of composition. The shot I liked most aesthetically was this one

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/41405955

This is also the shot I'd say has the most room for improvement - the blurry plastic skin doesn't work as well for me as something better defined would have done. As long as you could have a version with more skin definition and this was a deliberate choice, you know what you are doing.

Oct 25 16 09:02 am Link

Photographer

fushigii

Hyūga, Miyazaki, Japan

Thanks for answering.

I really do appreciate it.

Oct 25 16 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I've already posted individual comments on some of the pictures in your portfolio so as far as models getting to "know what they are getting into", I would suggest that they go to your portfolio and take the time to look at everything--They will form a better idea that way than by simply reviewing my comments here.

This is true particularly in your case, because you are clearly adventuresome and willing to take a chance and experiment.  That approach, instead of merely copying the work of others or (worse yet) simply learning which buttons on the camera do what, inevitably produces a lot of garbage for each gem produced, but that's how we find the diamonds that we then polish to their full potential,  I applaud you for that.

That said, I seem to see a certain reticence in much of your work, particularly the bodyscape, figure work and IR Nude folders.  You seem to be a bit uncomfortable with the subject matter and are subconsciously relying on the cutting and lighting to distance you from the fact that this a naked woman in front of you.  If you are going to photograph nudes, you need to revel in the beauty of the human body and let that show through in your pictures.

In contrast, this picture demonstrates the commitment, understanding and sense of humor you bring to observing the conflict between tradition and modernity: 

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161018/19/5806db4e7d7f8_m.jpg

Now, bring that precision and understanding to the rest of your work!

All  IMHO as always, of course.

Oct 27 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

fushigii

Hyūga, Miyazaki, Japan

Thanks

Interesting comments.

I will consider that

Oct 27 16 05:45 pm Link