Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique Desired for Artistic Imagery

Model

Karajane

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Good day to you all,

My name is Karajane; I have six years' consistent experience in the industry (I've been modelling on and off since I was fifteen years old).

I would appreciate genuine and sincere critique on the images I have selected for my current portfolio. Some of these images are far older than the others (up to six years older than the newer images) and it will be obvious to the trained eye that in the former images I was finding my way around the camera (can anybody say, "there's a doe in the headlights?" :-D I think that this is a pretty common problem faced by many young models when they first find a camera pointed directly at them).

However, given that I do now have experience under my belt I would like to eliminate from my portfolio those images which do not give credence to my claim that I have have six years of consistent experience in the industry, or those which just stick out and draw attention away from the images which focus on the main genres in this portfolio, which are art and beauty.

For those of you who are interested and have a few moments to spare (I will cheerfully return the favour if you so wish, though you of course must tell me what you'd like me to be analysing when I'm looking at your own folios), I would be most grateful if you would kindly take a look at my portfolio and leave comments on the images which best pronounce my aims: to create, in my artistic imagery, a connection to the environment which displays the beauty of the human form. I believe that beauty is a subjective term so I am not asking for specific critique on the images which are clearly meant to display beauty BUT I would like to know if there is an image which really doesn't benefit my portfolio as a whole.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Nov 06 16 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

Looking at the beach set, in particular. I like numbers 6 & 7. A bit Bill Brandt, but I think the photographer needed to get closer to you in order for it to work as a series of bodyscapes. I'd try to revisit that theme. I'm biased in that I prefer b&w in general. You might consider culling some of the weaker shots.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am currently sat in a pub enjoying a pint of Slovakian lager.

George

Nov 07 16 07:18 am Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I hate to say it Karajane, but I don't see any strong photos in your port.  You're obviously comfortable in your skin, but your posing is awkward in the great majority of the shots.  I'm not sure who to blame for that, because most of the photographers you've worked with are also clearly unaware of lighting and using your body in their composition.  A truly competent photographer would be able to work with you and eliminate the awkwardness, but it's not happening here.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my final verdict on whether or not your port shows your growth is: unknown.
The photos are all so poor that it's hard to make a call about who's fault that is.  My suggestion to you is to find the absolute best photographer in your area and hound them relentlessly to shoot with you.  If they're not biting, offer to pay.  Beautiful photos are your goal, after all.  A great photographer will work with your strengths and weaknesses and we'll get to see a much truer picture of where you're at.  Best of luck.

Nov 07 16 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I like your work but don't think it's succeeding in the way that you're stating that you want it to. You're a bit stiff and self conscious, and that's what I like, especially with the nudes. It seems natural and honest to me, more real and unpracticed. I find this valuable. If you were local I'd try to work with you, as it is best wishes and good luck. Keep doing what you're doing, try to find photographers and situations that you can challenge yourself with, and mostly, don't assume that you have to be fluid and "natural" to be good. That's not always true.

Nov 08 16 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

For the most part, I'd say that the B&W images are better than the color ones (except for the first shot, first row). All of your images are SIX Years old, so we have no idea as to whether you've gained 200 lbs, wrinkled in the Aussie sun or are pregnant or covered with piercings or tattoos. The usual reaction will be NEXT!

Unload these two, immediately:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 13af7b.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100307/22/4b949f8d1b310_m.jpg

Put up some new images, ASAP.

Nov 13 16 03:53 pm Link