Makeup Artist

beautybyra

Chino, California, US

Hello fellow artists. I wanted to share the info of someone trying to scam me. A photographer named NICHOLAS BROWN claims to have found me from MM, and wanted to collab on a project to update a "client's portfolio". Sounds legit right?

Well don't be fooled. Once you've shown your interests, thats where they try to get you. The shoot then turned into an editorial shoot where I can claim "fame". Said I'd be paid $1300, half up front. Then they said once I received the check I needed to deposit the check via atm deposit or mobile deposit only, and to email them the deposit slip. Um what company would ever specifically ask of this? I tried to fish for more information but they never answered my questions. They just insisted that I deposited the money right away, as time was of the essence. Their words were "we don't have much time to waste."

He then called me, very strong Indian accent, from a 650 area code but iPhone location says "Los Alamitos". Los Alamitos area code is 562. So I already knew something was up. I didn't talk much on the phone because I pretended I couldn't hear him. He then proceeded to text me. I told him I wasn't available anymore cuz the shoot was scheduled for 11/24, which is Thanksgiving. He responded by saying that they moved up the shoot a few days. I declined once again stating I have to work and that I'll return the checks to him. He said no need to do that, deposit check as instructed. So for sure SCAM. WHY WOULD THEY INSIST ME TO DEPOSIT THE CHECK AFTER I JUST SAID I WOULDNT DO THE JOB??? Forgot to mention, when I received the checks, it wasn't $1300, it was $1990, just under the $2000, which the check indicates "VOID IF OVER 2000". AND, I received 3 checks in the same amount. Checks were in sequential order, as if they were printed at home.

I contacted MM admin and forwarded the emails. They advised it was a legitimate scam and to block them from further contacting me. Police said this kind of scam happens a lot but there's nothing they can do because their investigation usually ends up in a dead end. These scammers could be in Canada, UK or India (from their research).

Please be cautious when accepting work and always be mindful of the info you're getting.

The scammers info is:
Nicholas Brown
[email protected]
(650)900-6043

Nov 14 16 11:46 pm Link