Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Critique my first major PS retouch please

Photographer

YouPersonified

Orange, California, US

So...I am getting more requests to do Actor, Business, Realtor...ect... headshots. In the past, I did all of my retouching in Lightroom for headshots. I feel as though with more work possibly coming my way, I need to dip into Photoshop. Up until a couple of months ago, the only thing I used PS for was blemish removal. The last month, I've really taken the time to understand non destructive editing using layers, masks, and selective layer editing.

So..today, I retouched a photo I took back in January.  Opinions?

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/632/31647060006_48e42281ba_o.jpg

Dec 16 16 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

If you will be doing a lot of that work for pay you will reduce your post work significantly if you use a great makeup artist.

Dec 23 16 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Kline Photography

Lima, Ohio, US

If you don't already use it, you can do a lot of what you did here in Lightroom working with the RAW file. Only mention it because I have recently started using LR. It is much faster for the smaller retouch work so it speeds up your work flow when doing multiple images. PS is great, for me I use it for the heavier work, like you said as well working non-destructively.

The retouch is good I would add some sparkle in here eyes. Unsharp mask works well in PS for me.

Dec 23 16 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I'm seeing a little too much splotchyness and places that go texture to smooth abruptly, but overall, good.

Dec 27 16 12:31 pm Link

Retoucher

Lacroix-Retouch

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

I can see alot of tiny burn/ dodge tool leftovers. A botched effect.. but not bad for a first time at all.

Jan 09 17 09:13 am Link

Retoucher

Mike Needham Retouching

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Try a Solar Curve Adjustment Layer to show the transistions in the skins.

Jun 20 17 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rf Photography

Neuilly-sur-Seine, Île-de-France, France

I feel like you need more D&B on this

Jul 15 17 06:37 pm Link