Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is there such thing as a spray adhesive for skin?

Photographer

Sunspark Photography

Cary, North Carolina, US

I want to spray an adhesive near the model's eyes.  I was thinking a mixture of sugar dissolved in water in a spray bottle might work?

Also, what are your tips for working with glitter as makeup?

Thanks.

Dec 20 16 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sunspark Photography wrote:
...Also, what are your tips for working with glitter as makeup?.

Don't go there...  Even if you have professional liability insurance that will not protect you to the full magnitude of what a civil suit could bring for irreversible harm to an individual...

That said, professionally trained and licensed makeup artist will know about cosmetic product approved for around the sensitive eye area... even then it's a risk... as one who endured the trauma of a scratched cornea it is not something I would wish upon anyone...

When I was naive and inexperience I attempted this using cosmetic grade product approved for use around the eyes... Major mistake and will never ever revisit that blunder again...

Best Advice?  Use a cream eye shadow with shimmer attributes... that works, but beware of MUF's Flash Color Palette, some of those are seriously harmful if used near the eyes...

Directions (which untrained, unlicensed MUA's sometimes fail to read)
Precautions:
-Do not use the following colors near the eyes: 002 - 005 - 017.
-Do not use the following colors on the lips: 003 - 010 – 014.

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...

Dec 20 16 06:00 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

no. no. NO spray adhesive near the model's eyes. That's asking for trouble. Any SFX applications near the eyes - such as adhesives - should be done after proper training and with an abundance of caution.

Food products carry their own risks - including providing a great growth medium for bacteria and yeast.

Glitter as makeup is very popular, but as with SFX, there are VERY definite risks. Not all glitter is the same. Even *safe* cosmetic glitters can scratch a cornea if a piece gets in the eye.

Does *everybody do it*? Sure. Should every body do it? Not so much. Especially since it can be deceptively hard to photograph. And a pain to clean up afterwards.

If you want to explore a glitter effect WITHOUT the glitter, consider an edible glitter used in cake decorating. The ingredients are food color and agar-argar (seaweed).

Dec 25 16 05:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Use only cosmetic glitter, not craft store glitter. Many cosmetic companies make glitter. Ben Nye and MAC and MUFE and Eye Kandy make great options in a range of prices.

There are adhesives specifically made for glitter. I like the one by Lit, but Ben Nye and Too Faced and a variety of other brands offer them as well.

Glitter can be tricky. I'd hire a makeup artist for this one.

Dec 28 16 04:37 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

So just wondering why do you want a spray adhesive near the eyes or on the face?

Just to adhere glitter? Curious. Mehron makes a good cosmetic spray glitter - in a pump spray - it will stick all by itself.

Glitter can be adhered many ways w/o a body adhesive.
Graftobian, Mehron and Amerikan Body Art all have glitter gels - Kryolan too I think.

As for a spray adhesive that is body safe try Temptu they have one.

Sweet Loretta

Feb 23 17 04:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

Why a spray adhesive?

Just use a skin-safe adhesive. And if you need a non-uniform texture, use a sponge to break up the texture.

Mar 06 17 02:33 pm Link