Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Hi everybody!
I'm opening this thread to ask your opinion on foundations.
I used the old MUFE HD foundation in shade 110, but now they don't sell light- pink colours of the new Ultra HD in Italy anymore, so I want to try other brands' foundations.
I'm considering to buy the Mac Studio Fix fluid in NW10 shade. How is this foundation in your opinion? Does it leave white casts in flash photography? If you have used both the MUFE HD and the Mac studio fix fluid, could you compare them?
Looking at fashion magazine editorials I often read that they use Chanel makeup. What's your experience with Chanel foundations?
Thank you

Jan 07 17 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

neve wrote:
...I'm considering to buy the Mac Studio Fix fluid in NW10 shade. How is this foundation in your opinion?

Mac Studio Fix fluid is a retail (consumer grade) product. If you are working commercially you seriously need to consider MAC Full Coverage which IS a professional grade product. Note: Full Coverage isn't sold in retail outlets since it requires a makeup artist with considerable tenure to use effectively.  Also it comes in a pure white variant (sans pigment) you can blend it to any hue/chroma required.

neve wrote:
Does it leave white casts in flash photography?

That is primarily an illumination issue that the photographer in responsible charge needs to address... ALWAYS! request a lighting test image so illumination can be adjusted... And yes there are lose & pressed powder finishes that are know to not play well with hard frontal illumination... MUFE HD powder comes to mind... but even that can be managed by a competent photographer who knows how to effectively illuminate talent...

My question to you is why are you still using traditional product instead of airbrush silicone based product.  The difference in finish quality in the hands of a skilled artisan is HUGE.  My preference is TEMPTU S/B whose tenacity of wear and velvet smooth finish is to be cherished...

btw, if you intend to go with MAC please consider obtaining a "Pro-Card" in as you'll enjoy a 40% discount on product...  My MAC Pro-Card has covered it's fee many times over... enough said

Jan 07 17 11:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

I would suggest Face Atelier Pro. It is a silicone foundation similar to the MUFE HD, but a superior product. Coverage can be very sheer or built up over circles, blemishes, etc. Their palest color is beautiful on porcelain skin and they also sell a white corrector if you want to make it even paler. The finish is satin. If you need to look very dewy you can mix it with Clarins Flash Balm or Sonia Roselli Waterbalm or something similar. You can order a sample for a few dollars from Camera Ready Cosmetics. I would absolutely not recommend MAC. Other than perhaps Face & Body, their foundations are not appropriate for photography as they do not allow skin to look as beautiful as it can. I only use F & B on the body as it is.

Jan 07 17 08:53 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
My question to you is why are you still using traditional product instead of airbrush silicone based product.  The difference in finish quality in the hands of a skilled artisan is HUGE.  My preference is TEMPTU S/B whose tenacity of wear and velvet smooth finish is to be cherished...

I'm not a MUA, I'm a model, that's why I'm only considering retail products. Sometimes when I work with friends photographers there is not a MUA on the set , so I need to do my own makeup.

Jan 08 17 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

neve wrote:
...I'm not a MUA, I'm a model, that's why I'm only considering retail products. Sometimes when I work with friends photographers there is not a MUA on the set , so I need to do my own makeup.

Understood, my thoughts had wrongly assumed you were a makeup artist since this is a rather common career path for models... In fact I've trained several to be my assistant for bridal assignments smile 

So in that case MAC is indeed a wise choice since their retail artist will be competent at showing you how to apply their products... In fact MAC has been the training ground for many emerging artist who past through the retail arena quickly and go on to become excellent free lance professionals within the industry.  That said, the MAC retail artist will expect you to purchase the product that they train you with... However MAC's return policy is amazing. Any time you buy a product, KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! You can return any product, it does not matter whether it is used.  This is not an industry norm and a very compelling reason to use MAC product if you are using it only for yourself...

As Danielle mentions Face and Body is a wise choice for MAC's retail product line... it is very cost effective since it comes in  large 120ml bottle yielding considerably more product than other variants.  Avoid the smaller 50mm bottles since they are nearly the same price. Also like MAC Full Coverage MAC FACE & BODY comes in pure white (no pigment) which allows you to mix any hue/chroma you wish.  And yes MAC FACE & BODY is a silicone foundation (contains Dimethicone) like MUFE HD.  However some of my colleagues have advised that Face & Body will go cloudy and become useless in a year or sometimes even less and thus may have to be discarded or return for refund then...

btw, I've seen quite a few commercial artist using Face & Body on set at fashion shows... it's quick and easy to apply... Hope this helps...  Thanks!

Jan 08 17 12:24 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Understood, my thoughts had wrongly assumed you were a makeup artist since this is a rather common career path for models... In fact I've trained several to be my assistant for bridal assignments smile 

So in that case MAC is indeed a wise choice since their retail artist will be competent at showing you how to apply their products... In fact MAC has been the training ground for many emerging artist who past through the retail arena quickly and go on to become excellent free lance professionals within the industry.  That said, the MAC retail artist will expect you to purchase the product that they train you with... However MAC's return policy is amazing. Any time you buy a product, KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! You can return any product, it does not matter whether it is used.  This is not an industry norm and a very compelling reason to use MAC product if you are using it only for yourself...

As Danielle mentions Face and Body is a wise choice for MAC's retail product line... it is very cost effective since it comes in  large 120ml bottle yielding considerably more product than other variants.  Avoid the smaller 50mm bottles since they are nearly the same price. Also like MAC Full Coverage MAC FACE & BODY comes in pure white (no pigment) which allows you to mix any hue/chroma you wish.  And yes MAC FACE & BODY is a silicone foundation (contains Dimethicone) like MUFE HD.  However some of my colleagues have advised that Face & Body will go cloudy and become useless in a year or sometimes even less and thus may have to be discarded or return for refund then...

btw, I've seen quite a few commercial artist using Face & Body on set at fashion shows... it's quick and easy to apply... Hope this helps...  Thanks!

Thank you very much for your reply, it's very helpful.

Jan 09 17 04:13 am Link