Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Kentucky Makeup Artist Licensing?

Artist/Painter

Catrina Daniels

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Hi!
I have a certification in makeup artistry that I received in England. Now, I moved home to KY, and I'm not sure if that's enough or if I'd need additional training. I was considering renting a booth to do both makeup and henna.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks-

Catrina

Feb 01 17 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Catrina Daniels wrote:
Kentucky Makeup Artist Licensing?

I have a certification in makeup artistry that I received in England. Now, I moved home to KY, and I'm not sure if that's enough or if I'd need additional training. I was considering renting a booth to do both makeup and henna.

Catrina many of the services makeup artists routinely perform do require an esthetician’s license in most states... 
Here is Kentucky's License Requirements

Please keep in mind that here across the pond holding an Esthetician’s License is the standard career credential for those who wish to work professionally.  Since regulatory functions fall on the states you having contact Kentucky's Board of licensure to determine what is required to work legally with the general public...

There is a marked difference between certification and licensure in the US...
Certification in contrast to licensure is not at the same legal status in the US, under a licensing law, practitioners of the licensed occupation must have a license in order to practice. It is involuntary (a.k.a. mandatory). On the other hand, certification is voluntary albeit in the UK this may not be so...  The legal semantics may be a cause of some confusion here...   

Also you will likely not get authoritative guidance on Mayhem... Even my post should be questioned...
Your only authoritative source is the Licensing Board in the state you wish to practice...

However the elephant in the room is not licensing it is in fact legal liabilities... Before your consider working with the public it is appropriate, germane and in your best interest to obtain Professional Liability Insurance.  This is the overwhelming factor in your query...  Should you cause an allergic reaction or exacerbate an existing condition you are in harms way for a civil suit which is a compelling reason why Salon's require licensure for their employees.

That said, many states (and some incorporated areas i.e. NYC) require makeup artist to be licensed... I have a colleague in Florida who has to hold a Florida Makeup Artist License to practice there... 

So there are no easy answers... 
Please start here (502) 564-4262 (phone number for the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetologist & Estheticians)

Edit: While many on Mayhem will state that no license is required for Photoshoots etc.  That does not mean you will not be liable for damages should any "issues" occur...  Please do obtain Professional Liability Insurance as a precautionary measure in case legal liabilities.

Finally you'll need to report earnings in excess of an amount determined by the IRS if you are working as an Independent Contractor

Here is the IRS information on Independent Contractor

Working as a makeup artist for several agencies I'm sent a 1099-MISC form since I'm classified as an independent contractor, i.e. self-employed.  Filing protocols vary please be certain you are in compliance else you my be liable for tax penalties...

Hope this helps...
I wish you well on your journey...

Feb 02 17 06:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

Catrina Daniels

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Thanks. I had liability insurance in the UK for makeup art and performance, but I wasn't sure if it would qualify here. I know that certification was acceptable there, whereas here it is a different animal. I'll give them a call and see what the requirements are smile
Cat

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Catrina many of the services makeup artists routinely perform do require an esthetician’s license in most states... 
Here is Kentucky's License Requirements

Please keep in mind that here across the pond holding an Esthetician’s License is the standard career credential for those who wish to work professionally.  Since regulatory functions fall on the states you having contact Kentucky's Board of licensure to determine what is required to work legally with the general public...

There is a marked difference between certification and licensure in the US...
Certification in contrast to licensure is not at the same legal status in the US, under a licensing law, practitioners of the licensed occupation must have a license in order to practice. It is involuntary (a.k.a. mandatory). On the other hand, certification is voluntary albeit in the UK this may not be so...  The legal semantics may be a cause of some confusion here...   

Also you will likely not get authoritative guidance on Mayhem... Even my post should be questioned...
Your only authoritative source is the Licensing Board in the state you wish to practice...

However the elephant in the room is not licensing it is in fact legal liabilities... Before your consider working with the public it is appropriate, germane and in your best interest to obtain Professional Liability Insurance.  This is the overwhelming factor in your query...  Should you cause an allergic reaction or exacerbate an existing condition you are in harms way for a civil suit which is a compelling reason why Salon's require licensure for their employees.

That said, many states (and some incorporated areas i.e. NYC) require makeup artist to be licensed... I have a colleague in Florida who has to hold a Florida Makeup Artist License to practice there... 

So there are no easy answers... 
Please start here (502) 564-4262 (phone number for the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetologist & Estheticians)

Edit: While many on Mayhem will state that no license is required for Photoshoots etc.  That does not mean you will not be liable for damages should any "issues" occur...  Please do obtain Professional Liability Insurance as a precautionary measure in case legal liabilities.

Finally you'll need to report earnings in excess of an amount determined by the IRS if you are working as an Independent Contractor

Here is the IRS information on Independent Contractor

Working as a makeup artist for several agencies I'm sent a 1099-MISC form since I'm classified as an independent contractor, i.e. self-employed.  Filing protocols vary please be certain you are in compliance else you my be liable for tax penalties...

Hope this helps...
I wish you well on your journey...

Feb 10 17 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

For reference ---  IATSE Agreement      (PDF file) (linked version has been superceded)
  --  page # 51  Hair and Makeup

https://www.usa829.org/Portals/0/Docume … 2-2015.pdf

(TV, film, commercial production etc. - not dealing with the public generally bypasses state training & licence requirements)

update
http://deadline.com/2015/05/iatse-contr … 201431329/
http://www.iatse.net/news/iatse-and-amp … -agreement
http://www.iatse.net/sites/default/file … makeup.jpg

Feb 15 17 06:31 pm Link