Forums > Model Colloquy > Favourite Music or Artists for modeling?

Photographer

4kw Photography

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Hi there!

Anyone care to suggest their favourite modeling music?

Do you like music when you model?

4kw

Feb 02 17 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I play whatever the model wants to hear.

Feb 03 17 03:21 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mine varies. I have different Pandora playlists that I use at different times. My go to for art nude and sensual posing is Red Buddha and other Eastern instrumental/lounge type stuff. My favorite music in general, which I listen to when I'm shooting self portraits a lot is a Bob Seger/The Eagles/similar mostly 70s stuff. I also find I pose pretty well to opera (as long as it's not in English so I'm not trying to listen to the story) and other instrumental type stuff. For me it's about the mood of the music and not being too distracting (so again, stuff I either know, or that doesn't have lyrics for me to think about).

ETA: Oh, and as far as if I like music when I pose... sure. I think it can definitely help, especially if the photographer isn't a big talker. But at least half the time I pose without it and I seem to do okay then, too.

Feb 03 17 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Bruckner.  Real gets 'em going!

Feb 03 17 10:08 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I play whatever the model wants to hear.

Same here. Its not what I like, Its what the model likes that counts. I need them in the mode.

Feb 03 17 10:55 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

As long as it's not Air Supply, Foghat or SuperTramp, I don't care.

Feb 03 17 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Models are individual people, & as such each one of use with have very individual likes & dislikes in music.

Then there is the issue of each job is different, modeling for an upbeat photographer who wants me to dance is very different than modeling for a sculpture for 6 hours a day once a week for three weeks.

Then for still figure modeling, the issue of having the music "too good" that tempts you to tap your foot.... tapping is bad for still work.

Feb 03 17 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

4kw Photography

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Ionalynn wrote:
Models are individual people, & as such each one of use with have very individual likes & dislikes in music.

Then there is the issue of each job is different, modeling for an upbeat photographer who wants me to dance is very different than modeling for a sculpture for 6 hours a day once a week for three weeks.

Then for still figure modeling, the issue of having the music "too good" that tempts you to tap your foot.... tapping is bad for still work.

I'm just casting for ideas. For the record smile, I'm really digging this:

http://devil-doll.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UDkOY4IbJE

Jazzy women with attitude for energy and movement!

Feb 03 17 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Aurigraphy

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I love to play Florence and the Machine while shooting. Her music is very energetic, has a wide range of emotions in it and almost every model I had can sing along at least one song. This always gets me some movement, smiles and dynamic poses.

Feb 07 17 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Playing the genre of music that sets the mood is what I would choose.

Feb 08 17 05:31 am Link

Model

Raven Roses

South Plainfield, New Jersey, US

I am noticing more and more that I prefer songs that I know the words to. The falls under most genres. I also noticed I like industrial or dance music because it gives me something to move to. Nothing slow really.

Feb 08 17 04:28 pm Link