Forums > Model Colloquy > Casting Call Jitters

Model

DestinyMorgan

Los Angeles, California, US

So I go to castings almost every week, I rarely get nervous but occasionally my body gets jittery. I'ts like mentally I'm not nervous but physically I guess I am and in my head I try to make myself stop shaking and then I think about how it might affect my walk and that ACTUALLY makes me nervous. Any advice?( lol yes i know i'm kind of a weirdo)

Feb 24 17 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I'm not a model; I'm a photographer, consultant, amateur 10k runner. But , my experience is it is very hard to self-judge when you are in the middle of something. Sometimes you think you did great and you were awful; other times you might think you totally blew it and, in reality, you blew them away.

My advice: just hold your head up, do your best, and let the judges make the judgments.

Feb 24 17 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

One model I new who had shot a lot, and a lot with me, told me that she got sick to her stomach every morning when she had a shoot.  It can be normal.........just channel it to energize the shoot.

Feb 24 17 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Write it off!
Be willing to fail. Then you have nothing to lose, and work up from there.

Study the Yerkes-Dodson inverted U stress curve (1908) and how you can control your stress levels along the X axis to optimize performance on the vertical axis.

Suggestions include but far from limited to: breathe work, exercise, yoga, meditation, massage, coaching, visualization, etc.

I have written about it somewhere else on MM but your case of nerves is not out of the ordinary.

Feb 25 17 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Armesha00 wrote:
So I go to castings almost every week, I rarely get nervous but occasionally my body gets jittery. I'ts like mentally I'm not nervous but physically I guess I am and in my head I try to make myself stop shaking and then I think about how it might affect my walk and that ACTUALLY makes me nervous. Any advice?( lol yes i know i'm kind of a weirdo)

Physical jitters are caused by your body creating adrenaline in anticipation without you actually using it. As an actor, I utilize physical activity while I am preparing to expend that energy. Deep leg bends are good because they require a lot of energy. Move your arms and legs repetitively (but not enough to start sweating) and use slow, deep breathing to return to a calm state. Focus on your task and be positive. Good luck.

Feb 25 17 08:24 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmmm...well, I'm crazy about yoga and meditation, so I often recommend that to people with similar anxiety symptoms.  Personally, I find that even a minute or two of meditation with deep, even, abdominal breathing helps to soothe my nervous system, and I also find that keeping a regular, vigorous schedule of physical activity really helps to cut down on physical anxiety symptoms, which might help with your casting jitters.  Good luck!

Mar 01 17 03:31 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I used to nearly faint before going on stage or have crazy jitters before a runway show.. It's just nervous energy.

I found doing 20 or so jumping jacks or another quick high- energy exercise helped (actors do it all the time, bouncing, rolling shoulders, doing the Lion breath... )

Mar 21 17 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:

Physical jitters are caused by your body creating adrenaline in anticipation without you actually using it. As an actor, I utilize physical activity while I am preparing to expend that energy. Deep leg bends are good because they require a lot of energy. Move your arms and legs repetitively (but not enough to start sweating) and use slow, deep breathing to return to a calm state. Focus on your task and be positive. Good luck.

Yup!

I use "Ragdolls"--They require less space (important when there are thirty other people in a 10' x 10' room).  Just find an empty corner, stand straight and then go limp from the waist up, lat the body sway from side to side for a couple of moments while the arms dangle loosely, then stand back up.  Repeat as necessary.  A dancer put me onto them.

Mar 25 17 11:01 am Link