Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

So ladies ... suppose you go in a store and discover you need to use the restroom. Because of all the hoopla lately, this store has "unisex" restrooms ... those set up that anyone of any gender can use. You go in and there is a urinal and a toilet. Does this make  you uncomfortable? Just curious is all.

Mar 07 17 08:05 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

That wouldn't bother me at all.  The basic criteria for a restroom is having some resemblance of privacy and the single most important thing is cleanliness.  It would be practical to have a unisex rest room with both a toilet and a urinal.

It's actually pretty common for women at busy sports or entertainment venues to use the men's room if there are a hundred women in line at the women's room.  I'll do it when there are other women doing it.  It's not like most of us have never seen a urinal before.

I'll go one further and suggest that someone needs to invent a practical woman's urinal.  Most women that I know or see in the restroom will NOT sit on a toilet seat in a public restroom. We learn as little girls how to squat without ever touching the toilet.

Mar 07 17 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Toilet seats in public restrooms are nasty.

Mar 07 17 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
That wouldn't bother me at all.  The basic criteria for a restroom is having some resemblance of privacy and the single most important thing is cleanliness.  It would be practical to have a unisex rest room with both a toilet and a urinal.

It's actually pretty common for women at busy sports or entertainment venues to use the men's room if there are a hundred women in line at the women's room.  I'll do it when there are other women doing it.  It's not like most of us have never seen a urinal before.

I'll go one further and suggest that someone needs to invent a practical woman's urinal.  Most women that I know or see in the restroom will NOT sit on a toilet seat in a public restroom. We learn as little girls how to squat without ever touching the toilet.

I'm glad you said that ... using the men's room. When they built a new stadium in Philadelphia for the Eagles to play in, I've heard they installed 2 ladies rooms for every men's room and the ladies room is twice the size of the men's room to accommodate more people.

Maybe one day I'll make it there and will see if there really are 2 ladies rooms everywhere.

Mar 07 17 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Penguin Works

San Juan Capistrano, California, US

I don't have much a leg to stand on since I'm a guy, but working with a bunch of females in austere environments, I would recommend looking at things in a different light since some accommodation will inevitably be more gender neutral or even non-specific (porta poties, the woods, even the middle of the desert). Some of the women I know have something called a go girl, not entirely familiar with it, but I guess it's a funnel or something to make things easier in the middle of no where.

Mar 07 17 11:09 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

College custodian told me he used to see small bare footprints on the seats in the women's restroom.  Evidently some cultures will not sit on them but squat instead.

Mar 08 17 05:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Penguin Works wrote:
I don't have much a leg to stand on since I'm a guy, but working with a bunch of females in austere environments, I would recommend looking at things in a different light since some accommodation will inevitably be more gender neutral or even non-specific (porta poties, the woods, even the middle of the desert). Some of the women I know have something called a go girl, not entirely familiar with it, but I guess it's a funnel or something to make things easier in the middle of no where.

Go Girl

plus 18 by MM standards
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2621807716 … noapp=true

Mar 08 17 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

I worked for a company in a very large building that was built in 1929.  No urinals.  The then management believed that, while they employed many women workers, that someday they would employ many more, so,  while the restrooms were not unisex, they were able to accommodate anyone, and therefore gave managers great flexibility.

Mar 08 17 09:06 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Creative Image wrote:
I worked for a company in a very large building that was built in 1929.  No urinals.  The then management believed that, while they employed many women workers, that someday they would employ many more, so,  while the restrooms were not unisex, they were able to accommodate anyone, and therefore gave managers great flexibility.

Many businesses today have unisex restrooms, without urinals. That's a good plan if there isn't enough room to build separate men's and women's restrooms, or if the flexibility of being able to be used by anyone is desired.

It's become quite common to install a "family" restroom which can be used by parents and children, and it can also accommodate handicapped people.  I was in one the other day, since I am currently using a walker and it's much easier to get around in.  That restroom had two toilets next to each other in one large open room, one was designed for young children and was much lower to the floor than the standard size toilet next to it.  There was also a lower level sink for children right next to the standard size sink, and a baby changing table.  Something like this would be perfect for everyone.

Mar 08 17 09:14 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Penguin Works wrote:

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Go Girl

plus 18 by MM standards
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2621807716 … noapp=true

I have seen those soft rubber funnels, and it's a great idea.  Many women would buy one at that price if they knew about it, just to tuck in their purse in case it was needed.

I think everyone hates porta potties and won't use them unless it's absolutely an emergency.  I have never seen a clean one, or one that didn't smell awful.  Going out in the woods isn't a problem,  I think everyone does it if they are out hiking and there's no other option.  I have never been in the desert but I think most people would treat that location the same as they would being in the woods. 

Anyway we are getting further away from the original question which concerns unisex bathrooms with urinals in public places.

Mar 08 17 09:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Drifting even further away, I went into a restaurant the other day that had three built-in sinks near the door.  Fairly new, and they took no cash, only ATM cards.

The sink section thing in the open seemed very strange, but I needed one after eating (French fries) and I saw new people coming in and using it before eating.  What seemed odd turned out to be a very good idea.  Never saw the restroom area so maybe they are sans public toilets if sinks are provided by code?

Their food was the glutton-free crumbly bread stuff so maybe they were more healthy food and cleanliness conscious.

Mar 08 17 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

But not as nasty as pooping your pants.

Mar 08 17 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://culturetown.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Chongqing-China-1000-toilet-bathroom-1.jpg

Mar 08 17 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
But not as nasty as pooping your pants.

lol

Mar 08 17 01:12 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

whats scary about a urinal? You might as well ask if Im uncomfortable shopping at target because there's a men's clothing section adjacent to the women's clothing section. Shirts men wear might be but a few feet from shirts women wear. heavens.

It's also unlikely to walk into a unisex restroom and find toilets and urinals. You just use a stall with a toilet in it like you do in a house... you don't actually need urinals.

Mar 08 17 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
It's also unlikely to walk into a unisex restroom and find toilets and urinals. You just use a stall with a toilet in it like you do in a house... you don't actually need urinals.

A friend/client of mine in Los Angeles actually had one in her downstairs bathroom in her house. It was there when she bought the house and just left it in there. There was also a toilet in there, so no big deal.

Mar 08 17 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
whats scary about a urinal? You might as well ask if Im uncomfortable shopping at target because there's a men's clothing section adjacent to the women's clothing section. Shirts men wear might be but a few feet from shirts women wear. heavens.

No one said it was scary. Someone did say they were uncomfortable. They're uncomfortable because they believe they were raised to believe that if they're in a place that has a urinal, they're in a place where they don't belong. It's not right to "force" a person to be uncomfortable ..... their words. I only ask the question because I've never heard anyone say a urinal makes them uncomfortable, man or woman, before her.

Mar 08 17 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
https://culturetown.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Chongqing-China-1000-toilet-bathroom-1.jpg

I could imagine the smell just by looking at the pic.

Mar 08 17 02:43 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

No.

I frequently use the men's room if it is a single bathroom (not multiple stalls) and there is someone in the women's room. I get some weird looks walking out, but if I need to go and there's a toilet available, I have no desire to hold my bladder longer than necessary.

I absolutely do not care about gendering of bathrooms.

The ONLY thing that's ever bothered me is that whole pee on the floor thing... that's fucking gross as fuck. Women almost never pee on the floor, and you can generally expect every public male-oriented restroom to have a giant lake of pee around the base of the toilet.

Mar 08 17 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koryn wrote:
The ONLY thing that's ever bothered me is that whole pee on the floor thing... that's fucking gross as fuck. Women almost never pee on the floor, and you can generally expect every public male-oriented restroom to have a giant lake of pee around the base of the toilet.

The only problem with women using the men's rooms is that they often times forget to put the toilet seat back up when they're done.

Mar 08 17 04:53 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

I think everyone hates porta potties and won't use them unless it's absolutely an emergency.  I have never seen a clean one, or one that didn't smell awful.  Going out in the woods isn't a problem,  I think everyone does it if they are out hiking and there's no other option.  I have never been in the desert but I think most people would treat that location the same as they would being in the woods. 

I will definitely pop a squat behind a tree/boulder/dumpster before I'll use a porta potty.

Mar 08 17 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm curious as to why home urinals aren't a thing.  When I lived in Bangkok as a kid in the late 60's we had one of the tall versions, the ones that go all the way down to the floor, in our downstairs bathroom.  It was decorative.  It blended in.   Didn't seem to bother anyone who visited.  Seeing that they use less water to flush, I'm surprised it never really caught on.  Hell, they're not as nasty as a toilet.  Nothing ever touches a urinal except the pee that it collects.

Mar 08 17 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
Many businesses today have unisex restrooms, without urinals. That's a good plan if there isn't enough room to build separate men's and women's restrooms, or if the flexibility of being able to be used by anyone is desired.

It's become quite common to install a "family" restroom which can be used by parents and children, and it can also accommodate handicapped people.  I was in one the other day, since I am currently using a walker and it's much easier to get around in.  That restroom had two toilets next to each other in one large open room, one was designed for young children and was much lower to the floor than the standard size toilet next to it.  There was also a lower level sink for children right next to the standard size sink, and a baby changing table.  Something like this would be perfect for everyone.

While I agree that this would be great for everyone to use, there is a problem with the number of people who can use it at one time. In stores, restaurants, etc space is at a premium and if it's not making money, the companies consider it wasted space. Look at your average men's or ladies room. They usually have 2-6 toilets (and probably as many urinals) so that several people can use the facilities at once. In a sports/concert venue, it's even larger. The restroom you described, if the only choice, would cause long lines, unfortunate accidents from waiting in said lines, panic in the streets, and the complete destruction of the nuclear family. (well, maybe those last two not so much)

If they were smart, they would install a unisex urinal in both men's AND ladies rooms.

https://socialnewsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/800px-Unisex_Urinals.jpg

Mar 09 17 05:00 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Usually stores and other places have only one or two of those family type restrooms located near the conventional men's and women's rooms. I agree that there is no way in a large facility that you could have only that type of restroom.

Now, if they would put a row of that style urinals shown in the photo above in all women's restrooms, in addition to having the usual stalls with toilets, it would be totally awesome and help reduce the length of time one needs to wait in line.  Those are definitely unisex and a woman would have no problems using them. You would also want some that were smaller and lower, for younger girls, just like they often have a smaller and lower urinal for boys right next to the standard ones.

I think most women would be fine with using urinals like that which were out in the open rather than being in stalls, I know it wouldn't bother me at all. When you have to go, you often don't want to wait. Some might say that since we have to pull our pants down to pee, we should have more privacy and not just have them out in the open like that, but I don't see that being an issue. Anyone with modesty concerns can simply wait for an available stall.

Mar 09 17 05:14 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

GRMACK wrote:
College custodian told me he used to see small bare footprints on the seats in the women's restroom.  Evidently some cultures will not sit on them but squat instead.

I think in this part of the world it is called "going monkey style"

Mar 09 17 05:37 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Collins wrote:
I'm curious as to why home urinals aren't a thing.  When I lived in Bangkok as a kid in the late 60's we had one of the tall versions, the ones that go all the way down to the floor, in our downstairs bathroom.  It was decorative.  It blended in.   Didn't seem to bother anyone who visited.  Seeing that they use less water to flush, I'm surprised it never really caught on.  Hell, they're not as nasty as a toilet.  Nothing ever touches a urinal except the pee that it collects.

Just takes up space, same as bidets and other such non-necessity bathroom fixtures. If people are going to have a large bathroom they tend to favor big tubs or big showers or big vanities that affords them some sort of comfort and luxury over something to pee in.

Mar 09 17 01:11 pm Link