Forums > Critique > Need feedback on my self portrait

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Decided to get on the other side of the camera and finally take a self portrait. I probably will use in my facebook/linkedin profiles. I really like Peter Hurley's style. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/42100836

Mar 15 17 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

It is very good. You already knew that...

Mar 15 17 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

samueluribephoto

Miami, Florida, US

Azzano X Photography wrote:
Decided to get on the other side of the camera and finally take a self portrait. I probably will use in my facebook/linkedin profiles. I really like Peter Hurley's style. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/42100836

It's not bad but you said you like Peter Hurley's style, which this doesn't resemble. If you want it to have more of that feel then eliminate all shadows. Peter does this by having 2 strips as his key and fill, and a large rectangle in the bottom at a 45 degree angle facing upwards for that high key look and signature catch light.

Mar 15 17 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

True, I should have said he inspires me with his style with the tight crop/cropping of the upper head and composition. Yes, his lighting is fairly different. Wanted to be a little original smile

Mar 15 17 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

great Squinch!

Mar 16 17 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Fotos53

Tucson, Arizona, US

Your self-portrait looks very good and will still look good for the way you want to use it.

There's nothing wrong will trying to be original, you can still like someone's style and put your own twist to it. Remember the Beatles and the Beach Boys involving the St. Pepper's and Pet Sounds albums, two masterpieces of rock music.

Mar 16 17 04:19 am Link