Forums > Critique > NYC photography rates.

Photographer

Don V

New York, New York, US

May 26 17 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You don't set prices based on your social media, you don't set your prices based on your "years of experience", you don't set your prices based on your location.

YOU set YOUR prices based on YOUR costs & how much income YOU want to make.

The biggest mistake many new artists make is they set prices too low, only covering "costs" "rent" & "ramen"
Then they wonder why they have no health insurance, IRA, or how to pay that dental bill, or car repair.
Don't forget the Tax man gets his cut as well....

Gather up all your costs, figure out how much money you want to make, how FEW days you want to work...
Then you'll have a good idea of what to start YOU need to start charging.

*Advanced tip: Your equipment WILL break, how much you're charging VS costs will have a direct impact on how fast you can replace said equipment.

May 26 17 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Don Vamp wrote:
photography rates

Here are the American Society of Media Photographers Pricing Guides

And they pretty much echo Ionalynn's inferences...
I wish you well on your journey Don

May 26 17 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Don V

New York, New York, US

@ionalynn & @thomas van dyke.
thanks for the tips. And you are right ionalynn I noticed the prices I was thinking of were way too low.I dont want to be greedy but I def dont want to be screwed.

May 26 17 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I suggest joining the PPA:   https://www.ppa.com/   Its important to know what your competition charges.   Based on your work it appears you are doing runway shows.   Connect with local designers.   Some may offer to pay you for a lookbook.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookbook     NY fashion week is coming up in early September.    I would strongly suggest trying to find someone to assist.   This way you may also get to go a shoot or be at some of the events.   Trying going to Toronto's fashion week in August.   I looked at your profile on FB.    Some of your shots are out of focus but many suffer from technical issues.   A few are very good but too be candid a lot are... frankly sloppy.   Only post your best.   No repeats.

May 26 17 03:17 pm Link