Forums > Critique > Should I Change my Avatar Picture?

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I guess the OP got butt hurt and stopped looking at the posts

Jun 20 17 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

ShamusDeyo

Spring Lake Park, Minnesota, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I guess the OP got butt hurt and stopped looking at the posts

I talked to Doug Beasley in his Photo Seminar for China and Japan he sent me pics that he did and I showed him what I had done with the Black And White Nude in filter forge and He was very Complimentary and remembered who I was from the Film in the Cities Project... I have had to Use a friend to Model who doesn't really meet the Qualifications... I have arranged to shoot with a Model from Hudson who Worked for 5 years going semi 2 years ago and it will be my next shoot... I do what i can because my resources have been Limited and I like the Concept of merging Photography and Graphics those aren't just simple Plug ins I do up to 16 Layers as I evolve what i work on... so I guess I SUCK.... in your opinion I did the Mirror trick with Weddings and all the rest are tried and true... and old... She saw my work and she is Picky as to what she will do and she Liked the Idea of Working with me... there are More things in this world Horatio then what meets the Eye... and by the way I would have to respect what you said to be hurt by it... I am simply Bored of it

Jun 20 17 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

ShamusDeyo

Spring Lake Park, Minnesota, US

When i first started Learning i Learned on a Nikon F3... a Mamya RB67 ... a Toyo 4x5 and a Bessler Enlarger... I came up Old School so don't assume I am Niave... Later on I spent 6 years as a Texturalist for 3D Mesh for Virtual Reality

Jun 21 17 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

In spite of your advanced age and all your alleged experience, you handle feedback like a five-year-old.

But, hey, congratulations on winning that contest.

Jun 21 17 02:27 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

ShamusDeyo wrote:

I talked to Doug Beasley in his Photo Seminar for China and Japan he sent me pics that he did and I showed him what I had done with the Black And White Nude in filter forge and He was very Complimentary and remembered who I was from the Film in the Cities Project... I have had to Use a friend to Model who doesn't really meet the Qualifications... I have arranged to shoot with a Model from Hudson who Worked for 5 years going semi 2 years ago and it will be my next shoot... I do what i can because my resources have been Limited and I like the Concept of merging Photography and Graphics those aren't just simple Plug ins I do up to 16 Layers as I evolve what i work on... so I guess I SUCK.... in your opinion I did the Mirror trick with Weddings and all the rest are tried and true... and old... She saw my work and she is Picky as to what she will do and she Liked the Idea of Working with me... there are More things in this world Horatio then what meets the Eye... and by the way I would have to respect what you said to be hurt by it... I am simply Bored of it

Your biggest problem is defending your failures. And continually claiming you know what you're doing.

The toughest critique of all is when you discover you're not as good as you thought. But it does turn itself around when you can accept the truth and get on the road to where you want to go instead if stopping and saying you're already there.

Jun 21 17 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

ShamusDeyo wrote:
When i first started Learning i Learned on a Nikon F3... a Mamya RB67 ... a Toyo 4x5 and a Bessler Enlarger... I came up Old School so don't assume I am Niave... Later on I spent 6 years as a Texturalist for 3D Mesh for Virtual Reality

Very experienced does not always translate to very good, I don't care if you've been doing it for a thousand years.

Doug Beasley was probably just being polite.  If you sent him the photos of your avatar character, I'd say he was lying if he was complimentary.

Btw, I'm curious, what was your contest winning image?

Jun 21 17 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19733271

Jun 21 17 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

IMO, the best way to respond to any critique, whether you agree with the feedback or not, and probably especially when you most violently disagree with the feedback, is:

"Thank you for your feedback."

Jun 21 17 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Orca Bay Images wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19733271

Thanks for link. 

Lol, wait...so he was the only entrant for that day so he won by default?   big_smile

Jun 21 17 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

ShamusDeyo wrote:

Hey Wow 😳. I guess you told me.

I guess your having fun with what you are doing. And that is all that matters.  I suppose the rest of the photographers in this thread just aren't smart enough to grasp what you are creating. 

By the way my father told me a long time ago if you don't want to know don't ask.

Continue shooting, and continue having fun.

Adios

Jun 22 17 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

ShamusDeyo wrote:

I think many photographers came up old school, and I never said you were Naive.  I shot for 30 years on film both small and medium formats, doing all my own developing and printing of my black and white art images. I didn't start shooting digitally until 2000.

But I think anyone can improve their style. I believe that many if not all in this thread feel you have a way to go before that style is realized. I never said you sucked what I did say was

1. Posing was poor in most of your images. The models body line were awkward and not pleasing, nor were they creative or abstract.

2. Many of your images seem out of focus. It would seem to me that anyone trying to create a graphic/ photography fusion would understand the need images that appear to be in focus.

3. A number of your images including your avatar seem " blown out"

4. The exposures don't seem adequate in most of the images

5. Composition and framing of the images are not good.

I hope you can see that, and take their info to heart so you can better realize your vision.

You don't have to respect me, no skin off my nose, you seem to have all the answers so you don't need anyone's advice. I wasn't asking for your respect, so it was just a silly comment on your part.

Jun 22 17 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

My opinion is that they look over processed and experimental and I'd personally prefer to see images that don't make you feel they need such a lot of changes made to them, great poses and lighting that are clear and more in focus ...

Jun 23 17 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Fleming Design wrote:
OP,
Your "work" ranks in the bottom 3% of anything I have ever seen on MM, and that is my kind reaction.  Some of your manipulation crap, like this one, verges on criminal abuse of the poor model.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170606/09/5936dc02ed2c7.jpg

OMG, what the fucccck is this?  I don't know how to tell OP what to do next.  I am speechless.

Jun 23 17 06:17 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

ShamusDeyo wrote:
Would I be better off with More Direct Photos?

IMO Yes

Jun 23 17 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

ShamusDeyo wrote:
Would I be better off with More Direct Photos?

YES!

Jun 23 17 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Perhaps you should mention that yours was the only entry for that day.

this made my day

Jun 23 17 01:55 pm Link