Forums > Model Colloquy > Creative Lighting

Model

QueenConz

Ginowan, Okinawa, Japan

Have any of you shot with creative lighting? Shadows, lines, multicolored lighting? I don't mean photoshopped but in a studio. I am shooting something similarand am just curious how it differed from your other photoshoots? How did you have to move differently (facial expressions, posing, etc.)? Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Jul 11 17 05:22 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Just follow the direction of the photographer.  Usually they have very specific ideas on how they want the lighting to fall on your body when they are using different kinds of lighting than we are used to. Sometimes they are able to position the lights accordingly, other times you will need to move as directed to capture the best lighting, pattern or angle for them.  A lot of it is experimenting, they will probably take much longer than usual in setting up the lights, and may also take a lot more shots than you are used to in an effort to get the best ones.

Jul 11 17 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

QueenConz wrote:
Have any of you shot with creative lighting? Shadows, lines, multicolored lighting? I don't mean photoshopped but in a studio. I am shooting something similarand am just curious how it differed from your other photoshoots? How did you have to move differently (facial expressions, posing, etc.)? Any help would be immensely appreciated!

I have done a lot with creative lighting.  My portfolio (hopefully) demonstrates this.  All done in my studio.  The photographer needs various "items" such as gels, barndoors, snoots, etc. to get some of these effects.  The model needs to do nothing differently most times.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jul 11 17 09:37 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

"Run if it blows up rather than lights up!" per the instructions with my first studio flash unit.  ;o)

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160715/20/5789a3cbce4cf.jpg

Jul 11 17 10:51 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MatureModelMM wrote:
Just follow the direction of the photographer.  Usually they have very specific ideas on how they want the lighting to fall on your body when they are using different kinds of lighting than we are used to. Sometimes they are able to position the lights accordingly, other times you will need to move as directed to capture the best lighting, pattern or angle for them.  A lot of it is experimenting, they will probably take much longer than usual in setting up the lights, and may also take a lot more shots than you are used to in an effort to get the best ones.

Agreed! 

The photographer should be able to guide you in posing for the lighting they have set up.  At least for me, the image in mind starts with the pose and the lights are arranged to support it.  Once the lights are placed (often in advance of the model arriving) it can take a few tries/tweaks to get placement just right - particularly if creating very specific shadows on the face.  I use a meter to set the initial lighting ratios, but generally find they also need adjusting slightly as we shoot.

It typically means that I need to shoot with patient models who take direction well, not those that want to move very freely around the room.

For example, images such as this one have lit and shadow areas placed carefully and lit at very deliberate ratios on both the model and the background.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131027/07/526d21ce6acb6_m.jpg

If you are posing for these sorts of images it will be very helpful if you can:
1) remember and maintain body position over a number of exposures (even with a short break in between them)
2) make SMALL adjustments when asked to do so
3) take direction verbally - without having to turn/lift your head to look at the photographer

I generally shoot a couple of quick test shots at the beginning and review these with the model ensure she understands the overall concept well so that we can then focus on tweaking details.

Jul 11 17 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

MatureModelMM wrote:

/thread

Jul 12 17 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

David Kirk wrote:

Agreed! 

The photographer should be able to guide you in posing for the lighting they have set up.  At least for me, the image in mind starts with the pose and the lights are arranged to support it.  Once the lights are placed (often in advance of the model arriving) it can take a few tries/tweaks to get placement just right - particularly if creating very specific shadows on the face.  I use a meter to set the initial lighting ratios, but generally find they also need adjusting slightly as we shoot.

It typically means that I need to shoot with patient models who take direction well, not those that want to move very freely around the room.

For example, images such as this one have lit and shadow areas placed carefully and lit at very deliberate ratios on both the model and the background.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131027/07/526d21ce6acb6_m.jpg

If you are posing for these sorts of images it will be very helpful if you can:
1) remember and maintain body position over a number of exposures (even with a short break in between them)
2) make SMALL adjustments when asked to do so
3) take direction verbally - without having to turn/lift your head to look at the photographer

I generally shoot a couple of quick test shots at the beginning and review these with the model ensure she understands the overall concept well so that we can then focus on tweaking details.

And any slight variation in pose or lighting would change the image. Not better, not worse, but different.

Jul 12 17 04:58 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, generally the photographer will give loose instructions, like, "try to face this way," or "try not to move the general location of your head/torso."  Occasionally, if the lighting requires certain shapes or body lines, the photographer will give more specific posing cues.  If I was maybe working with a newer photographer or someone who was just trying out the lighting for the first time, we might look at the pictures together behind the camera and try to strategize, or I might share my ideas, but generally as a model you can't really see what the lighting is doing while you're posing, so it's not really your responsibility to do anything differently without prompting.

Jul 14 17 02:11 pm Link