Forums > General Industry > Taking a 'Flake' Break

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
I still cannot work my way around the backup bit. I do not want to book 2 for the same time since I find it difficult to work with more than one at a time, and it would make me uncomfortable to have one sitting around while I work with the other.

Speaking personally, the "backup bit" worked differently.  I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of lovely & wonderful models, and I like to work with my "favorites" multiple times.  Some live close by. 

For a backup model, I just like to see if I can call them at a moment's notice, and if they are available, see if they can stop by a.s.a.p.  Here's an example:  I have a favorite window in my home -- on the long summer days, sunlight streams in and puddles right under the window, like in this 18+ image.  Interestingly enough, in the short winter days, the light from that same window stretched out all the way across the room on sunny days.  The problem -- sunny days are exceedingly rare here in the Pacific Northwest.  But one rare, winter day was bright & sunny.  I called my "backup" model who lived just 15 minutes away to see if she was available.  She was.  Got here in record time, threw off her clothes, and we made this 18+ image.

So, for me, a "backup model" is just one with whom I have a previous relationship, and one who may be able to stop by with little or no notice.  You don't have to book multiple models if that makes you uncomfortable.

Aug 06 17 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I'm about there myself. The ROI for time in inquiring, responding, setting up, following up is getting thinner and thinner for me - and that's all before even heading out for the shoot that you hope will happen.

These things go up and down, but right now it's down, and it's sorely tempting just to move on, get productive things in life done, and come back to it later. Maybe.

Aug 07 17 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Justin wrote:
I'm about there myself. The ROI for time in inquiring, responding, setting up, following up is getting thinner and thinner for me - and that's all before even heading out for the shoot that you hope will happen.

Y'know, I consider the "acquisition" of an appropriate model to be an early & crucial step in my creative process.  By "acquisition", I mean...
...  Finding model candidates who are suitable for the project,
...  Efficiently determining whether they have the requisite skills & reliability,
...  Approaching the model with a request to work together,
...  Negotiating compensation, date, time, location,
...  Documenting our agreements.

A key step in this process is finding ways to efficiently determine the model's reliability.  There are many ways to do this, but for me, it's a step I won't skip.

Aug 07 17 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lots of interesting stuff.
Looknsee: your points are interesting, but sadly I do not have a list of last minute people. I may try 2 the same day so I at least get one shoot in. Studio is downtown Victoria, so I can find something to do if flaked on.

From previous threads models have better things to do than a "go see" coffee meet. I still insist on a meet for coffee with a new to me model. That way we can each decide if this is going to work. I can see if she lives up to her most recent images and stats. She can see if a bald old guy will freak her out. If she figures the 30 min for a coffee is not worth the effort to insure a shoot, than why should I consider the investment of 2 hours travel (I bus whenever possible), 1-1.5 hours of setup time, plus at least 30min of put away time, plus any time I invest in planning, a worthwhile investment on a potential flake. Every unknown model is a potential flake. Every shoot is a potential waste of time. Every click of the shutter is a potential breakdown.

Simple economics of cost/benefit/risk.

And (sidetrack coming) to all the white knights and models claiming equal rights to a trade shoot. Not a problem. As long as they will share all my costs. Years of education. Years of Youtubing and courses to improve myself. Tons of equipment. Studio rental costs. All the hours of computer learning and prep, plus all the hours in post, after the model has gone and kicked up their feet with a significant other. Share in my time investment and sure I'll be happy to share equally in any monetary gains. Oh, and if I spent time in promoting a gallery show, I will be happy to split the profits of any sales, as long as they are willing to share the costs incurred in preparing the images, all of them not just the one that includes them, and the gallery cost, and reception cost and... I have had sales in galleries, and have yet to recoop my total costs from the sales of various images. (OK, not totally true, once my total profits meant i could indulge in a Happy Meal). Those who can actually make decent bank from shooting models and gallery shows or whatever, are few and far between.

Yes, models deserve to be paid.
But holy hell, so do photographers.
And lets be real here. When was the last time that any real money was made in a gallery from any model images. Nature, wildlife, street, landscape, yes. Monetizing what most of us do is a delusion, except for the very few professionals,  Stock photos at $0.25 per use, really?  Some actually do make good money from stock (currently), could the 2-3 of you please chime in? Monetizing what we learn from practice is a whole other issue. And that works for both parties on either end of the camera.

And I do get that models need to get paid (I am repeating my self for those who missed the 14 other times I said so), and expensive hobbies are expensive for a reason. But could we possibly be reasonable here. And yes, if the model is asking for something outrageous, I do have the option of saying no, which I do frequently by skipping over silly profiles. But are we not doing a disservice by encouraging delusional thinking?

If a photographer comes on here insisting that models should be paying them $1000 (or even $100) per shoot, they would be quickly and harshly be disabused about this error in thinking, unless they were someone already charging and getting that much. (0.1% of those here...or is it less?)

Aug 07 17 02:02 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Years of education, expensive equimpent, etc doesn't matter as much as whether or not a photographer can deliver something of value, market their work, etc.

I'd rather hire/trade with someone who provides exactly what I need for my portfolio that best markets me in the market I am in, even if they have a hand-me-down Nikon D60 and their upfront investments in photography are minimal, than trade with someone who won't provide me images that have personal value or professional value. Even if the second photographer willing to work trade has years of experience, a digital Hasselblad, a fancy studio...

And whoever has rights to the images can market them as they see fit. If a photographer isn't making money from their work, it doesn't negate a model deserving to get paid if they will not receive images valuable to them in trade. Someone insisting they don't make money from their work therefore I should be willing to work with them for trade isn't a convincing argument.

Aug 07 17 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know -- in the end, we can only do that which makes us comfortable, and "solutions" that work for some might not be viable for others.  We can only share what's worked for us so that others can consider it.

Like I said, I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of wonderful models, and it is my style to work with models multiple time.  I am also lucky to live in an area with lots of photographers willing to associate with each other, sharing ideas, shows, announcements, recommendations, references, etc.

I don't mean to imply that's what everyone should do -- I'm simply sharing what has worked for me.

So, go figure it out.  Lots of ideas here, some will work for you; others, not so much.  The only thing I think I know is that if you make no changes to your model selection process, your flake ratio is not likely to change.

Aug 07 17 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Y'know -- in the end, we can only do that which makes us comfortable, and "solutions" that work for some might not be viable for others.  We can only share what's worked for us so that others can consider it.

Like I said, I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of wonderful models, and it is my style to work with models multiple time.  I am also lucky to live in an area with lots of photographers willing to associate with each other, sharing ideas, shows, announcements, recommendations, references, etc.

I don't mean to imply that's what everyone should do -- I'm simply sharing what has worked for me.

So, go figure it out.  Lots of ideas here, some will work for you; others, not so much.  The only thing I think I know is that if you make no changes to your model selection process, your flake ratio is not likely to change.

I am probably going to faint, but I agree with everything you said

Aug 07 17 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Y'know, I consider the "acquisition" of an appropriate model to be an early & crucial step in my creative process.  By "acquisition", I mean...
...  Efficiently determining whether they have the requisite skills & reliability,

A key step in this process is finding ways to efficiently determine the model's reliability.  There are many ways to do this, but for me, it's a step I won't skip.

I do much the same, but like a given model, I have my own restrictions, and sometimes it's a bit of a dance to make sure our mutual goals and restrictions line up. And more often than not, the dance doesn't go through.

Lose, win, draw, it's been fun over the years, but now I'm wearied of the dance. It could be a situational thing. I had a dream model who responded to a query where I laid out what I was looking for quite specifically, it seemed to be going fine, and I was quite heartened, but with a little concern about some lack of specificity. I pressed. Well, it turned out she was quite willing to work with me but not for about half the things that I had outlined.

It's just one instance, but situations accumulate to a tipping point. I'm looking at the time and emotional effort (yeah, yeah, First World problem) that I spent getting to the point of nothing happening, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Since I'm not a professional, the "worth it" side of the equation is looking weak.

Aug 07 17 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Justin wrote:
I do much the same, but like a given model, I have my own restrictions, and sometimes it's a bit of a dance to make sure our mutual goals and restrictions line up. And more often than not, the dance doesn't go through.

In my book, there's nothing wrong with that.  Some times the best deal you can make is to walk away from the deal.  Like I said, selecting models is a crucial first step in the creative process.  Some here don't like it when I mention that I've experienced about a flake every decade (and some think I'm lying), but the truth of the matter is a) that I am lucky & spoiled by a large selection of talented local models, and b) I am very careful to select only models who I think are reliable.  And you get bonus points if your selection process if fun (and not so adversarial).

I also think, in my case at least, that the dialog is essential to avoid misunderstandings in the future.  Sure, I get the feeling that "flake threads" are the most prevalent on these forums, but there's a whole class of "model misunderstanding threads" that are nearly as popular -- you know, the "model wants all the images, in RAW form" or the "model wants to be paid AND have the images, too" threads, or the "it's been 48 hours, where are my pictures" threads.  This selection process is the best time to set (and document) expectations -- do it well, and you'll never be a part of the "misunderstanding threads".

Aug 07 17 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

There is a lot of good digression going on, and with various similar threads going on I may be responding to something on another thread.

As many have said "due diligence" is the best way to avoid flakes, and that is not 100%.

As far as needs.
When I work with an agency model, I figure I have 3 goals.
1- images that I want.
2- images that the model want
3- images that the agency can use.

If I am lucky 1-2 images out of hundreds will satisfy all 3 needs.
So usually I do sort of 3 shoots.

And as has come up somewhere, what you give to the model has to be worth something to them, be it money, images or cookies. Trade is a trade for something of value.

Aug 08 17 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
When I work with an agency model, I figure I have 3 goals.
1- images that I want.
2- images that the model want
3- images that the agency can use.

If I am lucky 1-2 images out of hundreds will satisfy all 3 needs.

Is the goal to produce images that satisfy all three requirements?  Or can you have separate images that meet each separate need?

Aug 08 17 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Is the goal to produce images that satisfy all three requirements?  Or can you have separate images that meet each separate need?

Yes and Yes.
With luck, many of the same will satisfy all three requirements.
But usually I am shooting 3 sets.
The agency has little use for heavily processed weird, or noir, or one eyball.  smile

Aug 08 17 07:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have had a very low flake rate over the years, but early on, it really bothered me when I had a no show.  I used to try to get in touch with them, emailing, calling, texting, etc.  Of course, if a model flakes, it's highly unlikely she's going to call and apologize or even try to explain herself.

These days, if it happens, I sometimes even feel a little relieved.  I've saved myself some money, I get a chance to do some painting that I'm supposed to be doing, and I practice my fiddle.  So although there's not much one can do to prevent flakes, there's a lot one can do to avoid getting upset about it.

Having said that, I realize that having my own studio one block from my house makes it a lot easier on me:  no rental fees, no time and money lost in driving somewhere.  That would make it really suck.

Aug 09 17 11:57 pm Link