Forums > General Industry > European Agencies that take Foreigners

Model

Angela Savannah

Sedona, Arizona, US

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find out if it is possible to sign with an agency in Europe as an American as I am planning on traveling around Europe and would love to get modeling work. I'm 5'11" and have good measurements to join an agency but I would really like to experience a different culture so I'm looking into agencies in Europe. I'm just looking for advice if anyone knows if this is even a realistic possibility as an American or have suggestions about agencies I should approach maybe in London.
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks so much!

Aug 08 17 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

#1: ask your US agency for their European partner agencies

#2:

as I am planning on traveling around Europe and would love to get modeling work.

For doing paid modelling work in Europe you need a work permit (visa). For the "Schengen countries" you can aquire a joint visa for all those countries. For the United Kingdom and Ireland you need an extra work permit (visa).

For visiting model agencies and trying to get listed by them you don't need a visa. That's "business" (contrary to "paid activities") so you can do it if you enter "visa free".

"Travelling around in Europe" is quite undefined. If you plan to stay for a year or so  it may be attractive for an agency. But if you should stay just for a few weeks it would not be worthwile for the agency.

IF you should be considered to be "world class" by some agency people it will be irrelevant from where are or where a are right now...

Besides this: if you are 17 you are "underage" legally which means in most (all?) European countries you need your parents approval before being able to sign a legally valid contract of this kind (modelling).

Aug 10 17 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As mentioned above make sure you have a work visa for each country you are planning on going to.

A tourist visa will not allow you to work legally . . . . you really don't want to get caught and deported !

Aug 10 17 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

OP, a couple of months ago you started a thread asking for advice about getting signed with an LA agency.  I thought that you got good responses.  What did you do with the advice you got?

Aug 10 17 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

European agencies are required to follow EU employment law and readily employ all European citizens, hopefuls from outside of that zone are unwelcome unless they can prove no suitable European model can do the work.

Aug 19 17 07:26 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Fotopia wrote:
European agencies are required to follow EU employment law and readily employ all European citizens, hopefuls from outside of that zone are unwelcome unless they can prove no suitable European model can do the work.

Visa requirements for models are a matter of aliens law. Models do not fall under "employment laws" because they are not employees but are legally seen as self employed entrepreneurs. (Models who reside in Germany by the way as all self employed entrepreneurs* are obliged to become a member of the Chamber of Commerce...)

Work visas are obligatory for anyone who wants to earn money during his/her stay - regardless whether by self employed work or as employee.

European model agencies can and do accept foreigners as models because there are no limitations to contracts with foreign self employed suppliers. The point is that their customers prefer models who can do modelling jobs legally. It is annoying when expensive productions are obstructed because some russian or american model is blocked from entering the country at the airport because her visa has expired...

We have really a lot of russian or ukrainian models working here in Europe. Which means that paperwork makes an important portion of the tasks of a model agency.
*) "As all" is not completely correct because self employed craftsmen are obliged to become a member of the Chamber of Craftsmen instead of the Chamber of Commerce. Only self employed free lancers are excepted from this obligation. "Free lancers" by german legal definition are self employed lawyers, architects, journalists, actors, writers, physicians etc. But for some weird reasons not models...

Aug 19 17 12:25 pm Link