Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Want to hire pro retoucher -- should I?

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

I feel my photography is at a level where I can start making money off it, and I want to enhance my best work to a level that is on par with most of the high-end ports on this forum. However, most of the affordable retouchers I've hired over this year have produced a quality that, I feel, is not far outside my own capabilities as a retoucher.

By my own research, I've realized that the best work usually comes by those who charge not by the photo, but by the hour. My favorite work comes from Anchev, who's site stated he charges $20 an hour. Seeing as I've spent up to 4 hours or more on a single image, I'm realizing how much truly goes into this!

I am willing to pay those prices, but I want to know if my imagery could really be enhanced to that sort of level, or if I've really done all I can do. So I turn to you, the court of public opinion, and ask "Are my photos worth paying for retouching? How would you state specifics for the retoucher, without truly knowing what your images need to really make them great? Where can I go to learn all these?"

Sep 01 17 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Square Jaw Photography wrote:
I feel my photography is at a level where I can start making money off it, and I want to enhance my best work to a level that is on par with most of the high-end ports on this forum.

retouch work, generally, will not translate into boosting one's level up. "generally" is broad. this isn't the critique forum. let's just say you have a rather high expectation for the retoucher.

first you have to understand your market. will the money spent be recovered or will it increase the worth of the images to be worth the cost? will the client see the difference?

yes, except for e-commerce, product catalog type shots, pay by the image type work isn't usually the type of pay needed for great retouch. but then $20 per hour is not "high". in fact it is quite low as far a good retouch work goes in the usa. so if you spend $100-$200 to retouch an image, what is the gross profit you must make for that cost to be worth while? what client would pay that cost and how do you get those clients?

Sep 01 17 08:57 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

Brandon, the question as to whether or not you should hire a professional retoucher in my opinion is one for you to answer. You have to decide to what level you want to take your imagery and the level of time, commitment and finance you are willing to invest to take it to that level.

As to how to best communicate with a retoucher, firstly unless you have built a relationship with your retoucher and can be comfortable to let him/her do as they see fit, you MUST have a direction. If you are going into this process without any direction (bad idea), be ready to be stressed out in spending unnecessary time and money. Those who are successful have a plan.

When it's time to communicate with your retoucher, I would recommend sharing visual examples (This would be kind of your mood board). By having a visual example, it takes away the feeling of having to "read each others minds" as to what is expected. Along with the visual examples you should also share specifics in a brief as to what features that you like, for example it could be the handling of the color grading you like in an image.

You don't want to approach a retoucher with a set of images that is going in one creative direction and give them examples of a shoot you like going in a total opposite creative direction or be ready to be stressed out in spending unnecessary time and money.

Sep 01 17 10:17 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Hi Brandon. Others have given good answers before me.

It is unlikely that the type of images in your MM portfolio would need 4h unless you require something drastic.

Are my photos worth paying for retouching?

Every car is worth washing. One either washes it oneself or pays another to do it. Meanwhile one can do something else (e.g. shoot another model)

How would you state specifics for the retoucher, without truly knowing what your images need to really make them great? Where can I go to learn all these?

The point is not to send to the retoucher something vague like "I want basic retouching" or "I want superb high end magic" and then wait with crossed fingers for a disaster to strike. A proper requirement would rather be definitive and descriptive: "I want clean up of studio floor, remove stray hair on model's cheek, change lipstick color to ..., remove tattoo on left arm, color grade like this example+link(s)" etc. Then the requirements are actual objectives which can be followed and evaluated.

Sep 01 17 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

... I want to enhance my best work to a level that is on par with most of the high-end ports on this forum...

You need to ask for advice from photographers whom you respect, not internet strangers.  You may need to pay them.

... How would you state specifics for the retoucher, without truly knowing what your images need to really make them great?

You can't. Ask for advice from photographers or retouchers whom you respect.

Sep 01 17 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

It's not a lifetime commitment. Pick someone you like and give it a try. The worst that can happen you are out a little money and you learn something.

Sep 01 17 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

j francis photography wrote:
It's not a lifetime commitment. Pick someone you like and give it a try. The worst that can happen you are out a little money and you learn something.

That's essentially what just happened. I provided clear instructions on what I wanted done, but in the end, I was disappointed. I want to know my photos will come out good when I invest that kind of money.

Sep 02 17 01:10 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Mark Salo wrote:
You need to ask for advice from photographers whom you respect, not internet strangers.  You may need to pay them.

This implies that everyone here is an internet stranger who deserves no respect whatsoever and one should surrender oneself to people who stand on a pedestal and take one's money for giving advice. Obviously that is not so because both Leonard and Steven have given valid answers.

You can't. Ask for advice from photographers or retouchers whom you respect.

Of course he can. I already explained how simple it is. There is no need to ask Mario Testino whether you want that lipstick color changed.

Retouching itself cannot improve the essence of the image. If it is used for that purpose it is definitely a sign that there is something quite wrong in the previous steps of the photographic process. What makes an image great is what it displays, not how it is retouched. This means good pre-production (casting the proper models, good location, good styling etc) and of course the photographic execution (lighting, exposure, composition, focus etc). Surely retouching has its role but it cannot make the image. E.g. it cannot turn just any woman into a fashion model or make any piece of cloth look like a $15k haute couture dress. Obviously even when the shot is aesthetically and technically excellent, there are still things which need fixing in post but those are quite different from correcting the mistakes of the MUA or dirty studio background repeated on 20 images etc. When you shoot with the retouching in mind, you can reduce the time ($) needed for it which makes your whole process more efficient and the result will obviously be better.

There is a common misunderstanding that the retoucher must have a certain style and that based on that the client picks the right retoucher. That is very wrong. The retoucher is NOT an art director, he must NOT influence the image with his personal subjective preferences. He must be able to see and understand the overall style of the client (or the style the client is aiming for). In any case an artist needs to be free, not dependent. So don't let the retoucher or anyone else, however reputed, give the direction of your work. It is your work.

@OP feel free to email me if you have any specific questions regarding any particular images of yours and I will do my best to share with you what I see. Note: this is not an enticement. I don't charge for answering email smile

Sep 02 17 01:15 am Link

Retoucher

Ad Alex

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

That's essentially what just happened. I provided clear instructions on what I wanted done, but in the end, I was disappointed. I want to know my photos will come out good when I invest that kind of money.

Maybe you have picked a wrong retoucher... or you have too much expectations when it comes to retouching. Remember that retouching in not there to fix photographers mistakes, but rather enhance a good photograph and make it into a better one.

Sep 02 17 04:08 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

I don't know how much you have invested or what your requirements were, but as anchev said, the whole point is to free your time to focus on other aspects of your job. It's not about "can this person amaze me every time", it is about "can this person deliver what I need so that I can delegate and have free time to expand my business further".

Sep 02 17 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Thank you all for the timely and helpful insights. I appreciate hearing it from the horses' mouth. And Anchev, I sent a request via your site!

Sep 05 17 09:38 pm Link

Retoucher

happynathan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Hello!
Hello. My name is Nathan. I`m a professional high-end and beauty retoucher.
Specializing in photography post-production, high end retouching and creative enhancement of fashion, editorial, beauty, lookbook, product, swimwear etc.
You can see some of my works here:
Feel free to contact me here.
https://shendanian.myportfolio.com/
https://www.behance.net/shendanian0f2f
ins:nathan_xiaonian
Commercial retoucher free production of card, portrait photo, series photo (3 / bit) over three needs taxesps post processing ,
Am interesting my email, [email protected]

My pleasure to work with you
thank you!

Mar 12 20 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I found this to be interesting:

How to Make a Landscape Photo Look Professional
https://fstoppers.com/education/how-mak … nal-461379

Mar 13 20 08:51 am Link