Forums > Photography Talk > Tamron SP 70-200mm vs Nikon 70-200mm

Photographer

BlueWolf Photography

Prescott Valley, Arizona, US

Hi thanks for reading, I have a Nikon D810 and also a Nikon D5, I was looking at these two lens the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 VC G2 and the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR.  I want to do fast action shots of dogs playing in the dog parks as well as some concert photography at low light. I can not decide between the two, I know the Nikon is a lot more money, but I wanted something for the sharpness and how quick it is to focus. does anyone know what the main difference is, I know the Nikon has better build quality, but I can not decide which one, can anyone please help me out, as I got a 70-200mm lens that is older and does not work great,that I have to sell now.  Thank you

Sep 08 17 10:54 am Link

Photographer

saltedempire

Ogden, Utah, US

Personally, I've found Tamron's newer SP series is pretty good. Most of their older lenses were cheap build and cheap quality, but I'd say their newer ones are 95ish percent as good as Canon/Nikon's top-level glass. It's just more of a question of is that last 5 percent worth paying double the price to you.

Sep 08 17 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

I'm going to say everyone has a bias and its best just to try it out on your own. You have a D5 but don't know what other lenses you're accustomed to using with it and the focus performance you expect. Average photographer might say they can't tell a difference, while pro sports shooter will see a world of difference.

Sep 08 17 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Tamron has the best customer service in the business.

And some Tamron lenses actually are reviewed as better than camera native.

Sep 08 17 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have a D5 and a D800 (soon to be getting a D850 to replace it) so we're in similar boats. I use the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 and I used to use the equivalent lens from Tamron so I'm probably best suited to answer this for you.

Here's the deal. Tamron really does make good lenses these days. For a 3rd party lens company, I think they are the best right up there with Tokina, who I also have a lens from. As someone mentioned earlier as well, Tamron has excellent customer service as well. The reason I decided to get rid of my Tamron lens though was that for professional use, it just doesn't measure up to the Nikon. I know the Nikon lens is way more expensive but the question is, is it worth that extra price? In my opinion, yes.

The Tamron worked admirably when it was on my D700 because you can't see all the flaws in that lens on that body. But when you put it on a 36 megapixel beast, you see all the flaws, and there are many. Chromatic aberration in the Tamron was significant by comparison to the Nikon/Nikkor and the build quality while good, is just not great. When you shoot with the Nikon lens, it feels like a professional lens. The Tamron doesn't...not by a long shot. Also, the Tamron would tend to hunt a lot when focusing where the Nikon didn't.

If you were a photography enthusiast looking to save a few bucks, I would absolutely recommend the Tamron lens...no doubt about it. But you're shooting with a D5...a $6,500 camera. Why would you even consider buying one of the best camera bodies on the planet and not putting the best possible glass on it? Seriously, think about that. Do I think the Nikon lenses are a bit overpriced? Perhaps, but you definitely get what you pay for. Also, if you are an NPS member they will take good care of that glass for you as well. Tamron...nope.

Sep 09 17 01:46 am Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Photographing dogs jumping around and playing is a lot like covering a sports event, like say basketball or volleyball, where the lighting often sucks, and you mentioned low light capacity as a desired feature in a lens. So get a prime lens. Perhaps, you don't require a zoom. The trick with a prime is to pick the best location and wait for the action to come to you.

Sep 09 17 02:33 am Link

Photographer

JadedWriter

New York, New York, US

The Tamron 70-200 G2 is actually a pretty good lens for that money. I like it a lot more than the Sigma variant that I upgraded from. Minus the switches being an annoyance I love the thing and would take it over the VR3. If money is no issue I guess you could get the Nikon. I'm going to give some examples:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XjAzWC]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4399/36310067156_8a74eda910_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XowhSv]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36354495265_26f6931de8_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WJCDnj]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/35925708040_e44918c9ff_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WznQL8]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4396/35820971223_606a8d26e1_c.jpg

Sep 15 17 08:30 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm not sure that it's the same lens or has the same situation, but at least one model of Nikon 70-200 has the same field of view   at 200mm as the Canon 70-200 has when it's at 130mm

Sep 15 17 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
I'm not sure that it's the same lens or has the same situation, but at least one model of Nikon 70-200 has the same field of view   at 200mm as the Canon 70-200 has when it's at 130mm

Search on "focus breathing."

Sep 15 17 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Tamron has the best customer service in the business.

And some Tamron lenses actually are reviewed as better than camera native.

Tamron has the best service in the business, without any competitiors.

I sold photo gear for 15 years (just left this year) , and throughout that time Tamron has ALWAYS supported their warranties the best, gotten product back the fastest, and with the fewest amount of send-backs - by a very wide margin.  If I were to give Tamron an A rating, I would have to give everyone else (OEM included) a C at best - that's how big the difference is.

That said.  In initial, out-of-the-box quality, I'd only rank Tamron number one for their price.  Very rarely will an OEM company make a better product for around the same cost ... but if you can pay/write off the the extra money, the Tamron is rarely the best choice.  There have certainly been a few times (the 35 and 45 f/1.8s come to mind), but usually they're 98% the quality at 65% the price.  I've owned a lot of Tamron gear, and been very happy with it ... but my main lenses have always been OEM when I can afford; paying so much more for that extra 2% makes sense when you use the lens constantly, but it's just money left on the table when you don't.

Sep 15 17 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It may not matter to you, but pro OEM lenses tend to hold their value very well, whereas 2nd party glass does not. The newer pro offerings may hold up better than older, and lesser quality offerings, but I still doubt they will retain value like OEM glass.

Sep 16 17 06:11 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am a full time photographer in NYC and I am part of the press corps that shoots New York Fashion Week for over 15 years... I have shot about 2,200 shows with my old tank Nikon f2.8, 80 - 200mm, until it was so worn out... some parts were hard to get by, even at Nikon USA in Long Island, NY... and a full repair would have cost me almost as much as that new Tamron...

I have shot several hundred fashion shows with it and, except for a serious backfocusing problem at first, after doing the AF fine-tuning, was awesome... I am on the last point (-21?) at the fine tuning setting... I think I could get another 1 or 2 points to make it perfect, but I love it and I am actually quite happy not having to shell out that extra $2,000, at a time when I had a lot of other expenses to take care off.

Will it last as long, under heavy use as I do, as the old Nikon did... I seriously doubt it... but as an interims lens, it's an amazing alternative. I'll soon be able to upgrade and update most of my lighting and camera gear... and you can bet I will get the original lenses... but until then... the Tamron works just fine... even for professional use.

Sep 16 17 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I have a D5 and a D800 (soon to be getting a D850 to replace it) so we're in similar boats. I use the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 and I used to use the equivalent lens from Tamron so I'm probably best suited to answer this for you.

etc...

Have you actually used the new version tho? I would have to say its very good, its focus is better than the nikon 200-500mm that they stuck a crap focus motor in. But as I said it depends on demands of the person using it. I shoot sports and used to speed of a 400mm and being able to suddenly grab the 70-200mm and instantly acquire focus, track and shoot subject. The nikon can keep up while the tamron struggles, so for me I need the nikon but probably 80% of people don't need that performance.

Sep 16 17 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Am I the only person that's not a fan of Tamron?
Pruchased a 28-70something lens a few years ago and after moderate use, it broke.
Tamron said it wasn't covered under their warranty because it was abused.  (Define abused?)

The second one, same story.  Less than a couple of years old purchased second hand.
They wanted me to send in the receipt to prove it's under 6 years old.  The serial number should easily prove that it is.

Sadly, my favorite third party lens (Tokina) is fairly difficult to find in the USA.  Their products are built for heavy duty use.
Tamron is "if you lightly tap the thing against something you better hope it still works".

Sep 17 17 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

JadedWriter

New York, New York, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Pruchased a 28-70something lens a few years ago and after moderate use, it broke.
Tamron said it wasn't covered under their warranty because it was abused.  (Define abused?)

The second one, same story.  Less than a couple of years old purchased second hand.
They wanted me to send in the receipt to prove it's under 6 years old.  The serial number should easily prove that it is.

Sadly, my favorite third party lens (Tokina) is fairly difficult to find in the USA.  Their products are built for heavy duty use.
Tamron is "if you lightly tap the thing against something you better hope it still works".

Tamron have gotten a lot better since the 28-70 came out though.

Sep 19 17 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

JadedWriter wrote:

Tamron have gotten a lot better since the 28-70 came out though.

If you're talking the 28-75 f/2.8, that lens is from the 90s.  It was "updated" for Nikon a few years ago, but that just means they gave it an AF motor and took off the aperture ring.

It was a great lens for a long time, and could be had CHEAP.  I mean, like $350 when the Nikon version was $1300.  And holy crap, was that lens worth $350.  I worked at a camera shop at the time, and literally every enthusiast employee owned that lens.  But when the 17-50 f/2.8 came out at $500 and didn't get the traction they wanted (because people were still buying 28-75s) , they upped the price to match.

So still a good picture taker if you bought it after 2009 or so, but not the best cost/quality ratio on that particular item.

Sep 20 17 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Sadly, my favorite third party lens (Tokina) is fairly difficult to find in the USA.

I'm a big fan of Tokina too. I have their 16-28mm f/2.8 lens and it's a fantastic alternative to the 14-24 from Nikon, which costs 3 times as much. The build quality of the lens is outstanding and it most certainly delivers in the quality of imagery as well. I highly recommend Tokina as a 3rd party lens.

Sep 25 17 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

I am also a big fan of Tokina, and if you think they are hard to find in the USA, try Canada. At the moment I have an old 28-75 sitting on my D750. Works like a charm, except for the flare, but that was a problem from day 1. However I now use the flare for effect.

Have an old Tamron 400mm manual everything. Has no business being that sharp for a lens that cost me $50 used. I use rarely, but do use it with my "I neglected to trade in" D100 for risky situations. I camera and lens get destroyed, I would not cry that much.

My 70-200 VR is my most used lens. Having a hard time justifying the cost of moving up to a VRIII.
I am now a hobbyist, so none of this stuff is tax deductible, nor does it make me money.

Sep 26 17 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Shot By Adam wrote:

I'm a big fan of Tokina too. I have their 16-28mm f/2.8 lens and it's a fantastic alternative to the 14-24 from Nikon, which costs 3 times as much. The build quality of the lens is outstanding and it most certainly delivers in the quality of imagery as well. I highly recommend Tokina as a 3rd party lens.

Yep, lovely lens.
I have the 12-24. Amazing, but DX. Use it on FX and DX backup. Crop vignetting on FX and it make a nice 18-35. Rarely need wider any more. (want is a whole other issue).

Carefully selected third party is often just as good at a much lesser cost. OEM usually, but not always, has a better build.

My problem with Tokina is lack of selection, and focus is generally a little slower than OEM, but IQ is usually as good, and may surpass OEM.

Sep 26 17 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Herman Surkis wrote:

I am also a big fan of Tokina, and if you think they are hard to find in the USA, try Canada. At the moment I have an old 28-75 sitting on my D750. Works like a charm, except for the flare, but that was a problem from day 1. However I now use the flare for effect.

Have an old Tamron 400mm manual everything. Has no business being that sharp for a lens that cost me $50 used. I use rarely, but do use it with my "I neglected to trade in" D100 for risky situations. I camera and lens get destroyed, I would not cry that much.

My 70-200 VR is my most used lens. Having a hard time justifying the cost of moving up to a VRIII.
I am now a hobbyist, so none of this stuff is tax deductible, nor does it make me money.

I don't know if I'd go to a VRIII (I am cheap, after all) , but if that lens is a VRI, I'd check out Tamron's 70-200 VC GII.  Or the GI, if anybody still has it - the MSRP isn't that different, so a lot of people have marked the GIs down a lot to move them out.

On a crop sensor (even a good one) , I liked the Nikon slightly better than the Tamron - though I should point out that the GII wasn't out yet when I did my comparisons - that's a recent lens.  On a FF, the difference in edge sharpness was night and day, to say the least; the VRI isn't good at all.  It's not LensBaby bad, but if you're shooting at f/8 your edges are still f/4 sharp, tops.

Then again, different strokes.  I could see how, for a certain style of photo, that would actually be a feature.

My experience with most of the the newest versions of flagship lenses from just about everybody is that the coatings are the main improvement, and that they're all noticeably (though not hugely) sharper wide open; stopped down, I don't see a ton of differences.

Then again ... glass is glass, and the youngest of these designs is ten years old - Nikon's is pushing 30.  Stopped down and given a scene with absolutely zero chance for lens flare, they're all incredible.  Once you get up into the flagship line, you're not really paying for more potential - you're paying for speed, and consistency in situations, settings, and QC.  At f/8 and with a perfect scene, my MF Minolta 50mm f/2 is almost as good as my Leica version, and is worth roughly 1/60th as much.  But as soon as I go outside on a overcast day, the difference becomes larger.  Even if you want to play the "Leica is overpriced" card, it's still worth about 1/40th a similar used Zeiss from the last several years.

So you pick your battles.  As I said before, I buy the best I can afford for stuff I use constantly ... otherwise, good enough is good enough.  After all .... between social media and computer-controlled design and production, not a single major manufacturer makes any bad products.  Imagine the crappiest (non-kit) lens you can think of .... and I can promise you that 25 years ago, a lot of people would have been willing to go into debt to own it.

Sep 28 17 05:34 pm Link